Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
AFH

28 posts, read 44,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitsteel7 View Post
I think of Minnesota as a poor man's Michigan. I went walleye fishing their last spring and had a blast but everything you find in Minny you find bigger and better in Michigan. Minnesota nowhere on earth is the fishing so great? What about Michigan, we have the Great Lakes for christ sake. People from Minny like to talk about their 10,000 lakes most people don't know Michigan actually has 11,000 not to mention the Great Lakes. Also on the first day of rifle season school is canceled in Michigan if that tells you anything about how serious we take our hunting.
...comedy...

The Minnesota walleye record exceeds that of Michigan.
Walleye Records

Ditto for Northern.
Northern Pike Fishing Records

And Muskie.
Muskellunge Fishing Records

Also for Whitetail.
Southeastern Outdoors - State Record Whitetail Deer

Most people from Michigan don't know that Minnesota has 11,842 lakes of at least 10 acres (because they confuse state mottos with hard facts).
Lakes, rivers & wetlands: Minnesota Facts & Figures: Minnesota DNR

Minnesota ranks 1st in fishing licenses per capita.
Fish & fishing - Minnesota facts & figures: Minnesota DNR

And in boats per capita.
Boat & Water Safety: Minnesota DNR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,198 times
if michigan is so great , why does your freakiziod uncle ted come to SD and poach upland birds?

From this story in the Rapid City Journal:
State wildlife officials have begun an investigation to determine whether musician Ted Nugent broke the law when he hunted pheasants near Hot Springs prior to his Oct. 16 appearance in Rapid City. Nugent was featured at a Second Amendment rally sponsored by Citizens for Liberty, a Rapid City area tea party affiliate. Before the rally, Nugent shot pheasants and partridge on a hunting preserve east of Hot Springs, under a special preserve license and regulations. Now there is a question about whether Nugent could legally hunt in the state, because of his no-contest plea in August to two counts of misdemeanor big-game violations in California.

Nugent pleaded no-contest in Yuba County Superior Court to hunting deer in a baited area and failing to get an authorized signature on a deer tag. Other misdemeanor charges were dropped in a plea bargain with prosecutors there. News stories on the case report that Nugent paid a $1,750 fine. They do not mention a license revocation, which is imposed for certain game violations.South Dakota is part of a network of states that honor the hunting and fishing revocations imposed by other states. If Nugent’s license was suspended or revoked there, it would be illegal for him to purchase a license and hunt here. Andy Alban, GF&P law enforcement administrator in Pierre, would not discuss Nugent or the GF&P investigation on Monday. “It’s against our policy to comment on active investigations,” Alban said.

the best time of yr is when all the out of staters go home

Last edited by the old man; 12-21-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
...comedy...

The Minnesota walleye record exceeds that of Michigan.
Walleye Records

Ditto for Northern.
Northern Pike Fishing Records

And Muskie.
Muskellunge Fishing Records

Also for Whitetail.
Southeastern Outdoors - State Record Whitetail Deer

Most people from Michigan don't know that Minnesota has 11,842 lakes of at least 10 acres (because they confuse state mottos with hard facts).
Lakes, rivers & wetlands: Minnesota Facts & Figures: Minnesota DNR

Minnesota ranks 1st in fishing licenses per capita.
Fish & fishing - Minnesota facts & figures: Minnesota DNR

And in boats per capita.
Boat & Water Safety: Minnesota DNR

Well, if you guys would put "Land of 11,842 lakes" instead of "Land of 10,000 lakes" on your tags, more people would take it seriously.

LOL while I have never been to Minnesota, obviously there is plenty of good hunting and fishing to be had there! Of course in the winter it's only for the cold-hardy, but as the Russians say: "There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing."

I still say there are only a handful of "clunker" states that have limited hunting opportunities, most of them in the old Rust Belt. Offhand more than 35 of the states have more hunting available than you have vacation available to take advantage of it.

But probably #1 has to be Alaska, if only because it is so big, and so much of it is wilderness.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
To expand on an old comment - there are a few states that are so gun-unfriendly that I wouldn't consider going there to hunt, and wouldn't want to live there, even though there are no doubt areas that have game - NY and MA come to mind. And why would you fool with either of these when VT and NH are right next door?

Iowa has OK deer hunting but it's shotgun slug only. If you live there, go ahead and hunt there, and there is some good bird hunting too - but the slug only rule takes them out of the "first rate" group IMHO. I think the same rules prevail in OH. Not certain.

But if you look at the Louisana Purchase part of the country, and everything west of that, except for CA, it's all good. Add to this the old Confederate states, and there you have Mitch's Choice.

And Lord knows there is *some* good hunting in CA, but the overall anti-gun flavor of the state turns me off.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
Most of the places mentioned do not have hogs. For deer, hogs, and turkey I think you need to be in the mid-south, say from Texas eastward to South Carolina and as far north as Tennessee.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Best state to hunt?

Well.....if you're goin' after Wild Hogs, I recommend Hawaii, for Moose, or Caribou, or Bear I'd head to Alaska, For Pheasant I'd suggest Kansas or the Dakotas, I'd do Texas for a Dove Hunt, and Georgia or S. Carolina for Quail. Opinions vary.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Colorado, hands down. The elk there are second to none.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I have only been hunting now on my 2nd year...and was wondering what state holds the biggest bucks, turkeys, and maybe even hogs!

depending on what you want to hunt, I would say Alaska is the best place to hunt.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,763 times
I may be a bit bias considering my husband was born and raised in Oregon, butt there you can hunt deer (white tail and mule), elk, bear, turkey, water fowl and because it is close to the ocean and rivers we would also get awesome fish and other sea food.

If only it didn't rain 9 months out of the year

Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Nebraska, of course.
It's always hunting season here - for something.
Western NE has elk, southern NE has hogs (they are migrating north from Kansas), all of NE has huge deer, endless fields of antelope, turkey, grouse, pheasant, depending on where you go. Fishing is trout and bass to pike and catfish (and icefishing too if you are not squeamish). Licenses are not outrageous, there are lots of privately owned hunting camps as well as hectares of public lands. We get hunters and fishermen from Minnesota and New York to Texas and California, and they come back every year, even bring their kids and grandkids, when they are old enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting