Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:20 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,600,331 times

Advertisements

I have only been hunting now on my 2nd year...and was wondering what state holds the biggest bucks, turkeys, and maybe even hogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,589,621 times
It all depends on WHAT you're hunting. The midwest is great for giant white tail and good sized turkeys. I'm originally from Iowa, and could take you to some prime deer/turkey habitat.

When I lived in Kansas, there were turkeys everywhere. If only you could hunt them with a rifle from 300 yards out, I wouldn't have even needed to leave my car.

There are pigs in much of the south and some of the west.

Also the midwest has great pheasant hunting.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:47 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
Actually the western part of NC ain't bad.

Depends on what you want to hunt - Moose, Elk, Deer, you mentioned Turkey. Upland birds? Ducks/Geese?

Idaho is hard to beat. It's about the only thing Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith agreed on. And that's saying something.

If you are not against getting wet, Louisiana isn't called the "Sportsman's Paradise" for nothing.

And of course Alaska, although, from what I read, some Alaska hunting is pretty rugged, both you and your gun will come home somewhat beat up.

From what I read on this board, Maine is pretty good, although you have to figure it will be cold and snowy in winter.

Wyoming and Montana offer something similar to Idaho, but different.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:54 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,600,331 times
deer, hog, and turkey...

whitetail

thank you everyone for posting!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM

820 posts, read 1,204,346 times
For moose in the lower 48: Maine , New Hampshire , and Vermont in that order.
I have hunted moose in Maine , but I did the tag lottery in New Hampshire.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,425,730 times
Have lots of businessmen fly into New Mexico (Clayton Airport) for Elk and Antelope.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,638,482 times
Colorado. Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Big Horn Sheep, Whitetails. What more do you want?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,812,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
deer, hog, and turkey...

whitetail

thank you everyone for posting!
I'm terribly biased, but for some reason Texas springs to mind. The whitetails are smaller bodied than their northern counterparts and there isn't a lot of mulie hunting to be found, but there are great hunts to be had in every part of the state.

Hogs are everywhere. Literally, everywhere. I live in the city of Houston proper and there are wild pigs that live in the transmission line ROW about 2,000 yards from my house. HPD hunts them with dogs when they get too thick and start tearing up the grounds.

Lots of great turkey hunting as well.

Lots of great waterfowl hunting.

Lots of great dove and quail hunting.

Lots of predator hunting.

In north Texas there are huge ranches that will sell prairie dog slaughters for a nominal fee. Other ranches have a standing invitation to prairie dog hunters. I've never done it, but that looks like a lot of fun.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,542,972 times
Minnesota is a Hunter's Paradise. I'm sure other regions have decent hunting but no where else on Earth is hunting season treated as such a Holiday. Non-hunters are in the minority.

NO WHERE else on earth is the Fishing so GREAT. NO where else is the Ice Fishing so long and safe. No where else is there 10,000 lakes, nor so much forrest that is accessable. Here in Minnesota, the hunters and non-hunters get along hand in hand. Fathers and son or daughters spend more quality time together than anywhere else in the Nation.

I think hunting may be as good else where, but no where is it better. Minnesota room for everyone.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 19,245 times
Thumbs up South Dakota

South Dakota.

Unpopulated and a great place to pheasant hunt, walleye fishing, antelope, deer, elk, bighorn sheep, ducks, spring snow geese.

Probably the best pheasant hunting in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting