Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,793,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I went to our large chain last week and they have litle ammo on the shelves.
I bought 4 boxes of 12 gauge, three 500 bricks of 22 and 10 boxes of 223. They had quite a bit of shotgun shells. I cleaned them out on the 22. No primers thou darn it.

I need to find primers for my black powder soon, figure I can make my own black powder and cast balls. But now I wish it was a flintlock.

Dixie Gun Works sells a tool to make your own percussion caps from toy gun caps. However, I'd bet it can be adapted to make caps from home grown priming as well. It's essentially a tool to form the cap from thin soda cans or other thin metals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:24 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,793,791 times
Just a side thought... get good with a bow or crossbow to prolong your supply of powder and bullets. Much like firestarting... use the magnifier whenever you can and save the expendable fire making supplies as long as possible.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM

68 posts, read 265,452 times
These folks seem to have plenty of persussion caps: Powder Valley, Inc. Also some shotgun primers. Doesn't look like pistol or rifle primers will be available anytime soon.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM

820 posts, read 1,204,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Maybe not on a national level (yet) but in NY these same laws just passed the Senate and look like they will pass the full Assembly. It will go state by state. Of course the red states will hold out but as the anti's always do, it will be the death by 1,000 cuts. Thanks for the "Change", America.
Enough thread stealing, I'm just going to all the gun shows I can and keeping an eye on the above listed suppliers and getting what I can afford when it becomes available. I reload too so that helps (except with rimfire)
Those same laws?
Or A 6468 and S 4397 ?

Not that matters much to me -- I don't live in NY.
Or Cali , or NJ , or Mass , or Ill.

Most of the other states seem to be doing OK.
www.saf.org
www.nra.com (http://www.nra.com - broken link)

Fight smart & keep winning.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:51 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy 22 long rifle, rim fire ammo? I've tried Walmart, online, etc. It's all out of stock. I just want to use my 22 for target shooting and am now done to 50 bullets.
I feel your pain 46Barb. I just inherited my grandfathers old Remington Model 8. It's a real b**ch trying to find .35 Remington ammo. It's not a real popular caliber, so a lot of places don't stock it. There is one store near me stocks it on the shelves, but in the last month I've only managed to get 40 rounds from there. That's not enough to go to the range and learn the rifle. I've found a couple of places online, but they want $30 a box plus shipping.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times
Default FYI & Update From Washington State

We have a chain of employee-owned general stores up here in the NW called Bi-Mart. Their prices on ammo are usually very good. (If you live near one, you'll already know this, but do support them; they do their best to bring good prices for sporting goods, fishing suplies, etc.).

http://www.bimart.com/stores/index.aspx

Their ammo prices are basically so good that even though I have direct access (FFL, WA St. Biz & Dlr licences) to the distributors, those guys really don't give me such hot deals, and by the time I pay the UPS Haz Fee and shipping, I just buy most of mine, even for re-sale, from my local Bi-Mart . However, as you have all seen, the availability of ANY ammo is extremely limited! I now get calls from folks all over the state asking me if I have 22LR ammo. At first I thought they were kidding, I mean, this is America, for Crystzsake! No frickin' 22 ammo?

The various conspiracy theories are, mostly I think, unfounded, though I was pretty sure of them myself for a while when the ideas of serial-numbering bullets, each individual flake of powder in your loads, and also tattoo'd on your brain-stem, plus of course, serial-numbering ALL McDonald's hamburger patties AFTER they've been cooked, so as to avoid obliterating the special ink by hot oil;

sigh...

Anyhow, I called a friend @ CCI, who as you guys all know, make almost ALL of the primers in this land, and he said that our two wars have pretty much used up even the most surplus surplus of our mil-surplus ammo, and that the military is eating up all new orders. That doesn't account for un-availablility of .380, I sincerely hope [!!! plink, plink, die, Taliban... plink...] but hoarding certainly does, and good for all of you, I feel. Now at least it's in the right hands, I say!

My local Bi-Mart manager of sporting goods attended a company meeting last week and they had a presentation from their distibutors (Northwest Sports I think?) who said that right now WalMart has placed a MASSIVE order for primers, ammo, etc., that CCI & others are all working on, due in their stores beginning in about 4 months. Wow you say, 4 months? By then we'll all be dry as wooden gods, as my sainted grandfather used to say. I mean ammo-wise.

But it does seem to be mostly hoarding. My few suggestions now:

1. Save your spent centerfire cases, even for your .32ACP. If you don't want 'em, send them to me. I'll keep them; I think for many reasons we'll become a nation of conserving hoarders from now on. And justifiably so!

2. When we do get a return to some ammo availability, set aside, at a reasonable rate of acquisition soz we don't continue to drive prices off scale, a few extra boxes every month. Oh say, 4 - 5 bricks (1000 rounds) of 22 standard, plus some high-Vs, and even a few boxes (say 200 rounds) of the 22 shotshell stuff. Good in a plinker handgun for pests or for getting a few starlings for dinner that evening.

("Honey! Guess what I brought home from the fields tonight? Start up the Barby, honey; these'll go good with that home-brewed hootch I made last winter! Yee-Hahhh!".)

3. Really seriously consider getting into re-loading if you're not already. Don't buy another rifle, but rather a good Redding or RCBS or Lee or whatever, press, dies and powder scale. all for about, oh $350 for most everything you'll need.

Yes, I'd say to get into it properly right now, with a bit more than the basics, and with enough to reload for, say, .223, 30-06 or 7 Rem Mag or whatever, plus for your .45ACP (good on yah, BTW, for THAT choice!), 9mm (a bit whimpy, but a widely available mil-round), and perhaps the .380 [plinkkity plink... "Ouch!" says the thuggo as he advances his 345 lb meth-soaked bulk into your living room... "Ouch! Stoppit or I'll hurtcha!"
Now, my .45 auto; I don't think he'll even get the last part of"Ouch" out, do you?].

4. Consider getting one of those hideous all synthetic black-powder rifles (in-line ignition, plastic plastic plastic, etc.) or perhaps you might already have a nice Pennsylvania long rifle, flintlock. In which case you are a made man, buddy! A few basic supplies, and you can even actually make blackpowder, though you need to do a bit of reading. For right now, you can shoot a lot with a couple of pounds of Pyrodex, Triple 7 or even the real stuff. I load 45-70s and 45-90s with black powder and hit stuff out at 1000 yards!

5. You can also load pretty good handgun loads (my 45 Long Colt with some FFG will completely perforate a black bear no problem, or drop a deer ditto, not an issue). You can cast a few bullets with very little equipment (save, find or hoard /buy old wheel weights from your local tire store, old spent bullets and brass you can sift out at the base of the local target berm, etc.).

6. Buy yourself enough 12 or 20 ga to last you for a while, for possible hunting or defense use. (12 ga is always going to be the cheapest; 410 is oddly way more expensive...). Hard to argue with that fabulously well-known clackity-clickity-clack of a Rem. 870 being cycled in the other side of a darkened room! Add to it a barrel flashlight/ green laser and a SWAT extension tube, and you've got yourself "the best durned goose or duck gun you can imagine, sonny!"

7. Also consider getting a good air rifle and practicing with that. Great for your shooting skills, hand-eye coordination, etc., and you can also obtain your quail and other small game without so much as ruffling any other being's feathers or ears in the surrounding area!
The situation will (might) change in the next year of two, and the nutball element in the White House (you listening, Herr Holder?) will only be firmly grabbing that hot "third rail" if they try to disarm or excise-tax all of the ammo and supplies legally used by the law-abiding citizens of this grand country. Can you imagine little "Monolito" down at the gang drug house trying to set up his Dillion progressive press to load up a few? Only the law-abiding, in general, are reloaders!

Which also brings to mind the need for increased security for all of your possessions. Buy a good safe suitable for your firearms and ammo. Keep 'em in there along with your cameras, ID, the spare refined plutonium for that little science project you're working on...

Well, endure it all, guys. When this all turns around, you'll probably never let your guard down again, and will always have a goodly supply of whatever you think you'll need. Keep set aside your social-sitch minimums, and then only use what you can replace beyond that. I'm actually considering, at age mid-early 60s, acquiring almost everything for re-loading I'll ever need for the rest of my life. If things get real cheap ever again, then you can carefully hoard up for you and your kids! Hey, it's either four Big Macs & a gallon of carboanate sugar water for the family, or two boxes of 22 ammo or 12 ga stuff! Think about which is more important!

Oh, and also, do remember, and remind 'em later, which of your once-trusted dealers are now happily gouging you on pricing. They really didn't pay $55 for that box of CCI 200 primers; they're only just profiting off your current misfortune when they are asking and getting $75 per box. (Heard about that from a guy who stopped in to a big sporting goods staore in Tacoma last weekend. Amazing what greed will do, huh! And I thought we were a team!) They probably paid about $14/1000 wholesale. Remember the good guys!

Oh, and hey, thanks, Barry, for bringing this into clearer focus for us all. No-one's gonna grab our stuff for nefarious reasons, no matter how socially progressive you might think it is!

Keep on shootin' fellas and ladies!

Last edited by rifleman; 05-24-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: typoz I

Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 AM

820 posts, read 1,204,141 times
Ammo accountability?
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Maybe not on a national level (yet) but in NY these same laws just passed the Senate and look like they will pass the full Assembly. It will go state by state. Of course the red states will hold out but as the anti's always do, it will be the death by 1,000 cuts. Thanks for the "Change", America.
Enough thread stealing, I'm just going to all the gun shows I can and keeping an eye on the above listed suppliers and getting what I can afford when it becomes available. I reload too so that helps (except with rimfire)
"...it will go state by state..."

The subject is ammo accountabilty laws/bills ( not handgun micro-stamping-- which is equally useless) :

Got anything to back that up?
Sources , links , bill numbers?

And -- number of co-sponsors? Over the last two (2) years would be nice.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,882,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Ammo accountability?
Really?

"...it will go state by state..."

The subject is ammo accountabilty laws/bills ( not handgun micro-stamping-- which is equally useless) :

Got anything to back that up?
Sources , links , bill numbers?

And -- number of co-sponsors? Over the last two (2) years would be nice.
All you have to do is listen to all the anti-gun raving going on and all the schemes they are thinking up to bypass The Second Amendment. If you can't see this palinly, it's really your problem. Roll your eyes all you want to.
That aside, I bought 2 bricks of 22LR for $22 at Davis Sports Shop in Sloatsburg, NY. They had some .223 and a pretty good assortment of other ammo too.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,884 times
Thanks for the links. I hadn't seen the Sportsman's Guide site, they have some good prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting