Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 AM

701 posts, read 1,566,154 times

Advertisements

Social conditioning.

Society has long decreed that long hair is a symbol of femininity and any deviation should be scorned. While there are men who just geniunely like long hair as well as men who geniunely prefer short hair, I am surprised no one is raising an eyebrow and connecting the dots with comments like, "It doesnt look feminine." and "...It looks too mannish." Women with short hair do not look like men; they look like women with short hair. We are taught to believe that short hair equals masculinity and that women should be overtly feminine in all aspects, which is how that belief continues to stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
I would love to have short hair. I used to get it cut pretty short before I was married. My husband has made it clear that he doesn't like short hair (except on himself, the man hasn't even owned a comb in the last 10 years because his hair is cut so short).

If I ever get a divorce, the hair is going to be the second thing to go (after the hubby LOL). My hair is like a scratchy hot blanket that I can't take off even when I sleep. I pin it up and I get headaches from the weight of it dragging on my head. I braid it (to ride my bike) and the sweat drips off the ends of the braids. It takes about six hours for my hair to dry on its own.

I do agree that a lot of men seem to think women with short haircuts must be lesbians. I've known plenty of women with short hair who were not lesbians; I have also known lesbians with long hair. It's just one of those silly stereotypes.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 AM

684 posts, read 1,153,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
...why do so many men in the year 2012 feel a woman HAS TO have her hair long to be pretty?
Because about 95 percent of the time, it's a fact.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 AM

684 posts, read 826,908 times
I find pixie cuts to be incredibly attractive on the right woman. Natalie Imbruglia, for instance, is a very attractive woman with short hair. As was Angelina Jolie in Hackers.

A pixie cut draws attention to the face and neck and creates the illusion of youth. Someone with the right features will want to draw attention to that. Longer hair creates more mystery and 'ages' the younger woman who wears it.

An impish smile and a playful demeanor go a long way to making short hair attractive. It really depends on the woman in question.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM

684 posts, read 1,153,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I find pixie cuts to be incredibly attractive on the right woman. Natalie Imbruglia, for instance, is a very attractive woman with short hair. As was Angelina Jolie in Hackers.

A pixie cut draws attention to the face and neck and creates the illusion of youth. Someone with the right features will want to draw attention to that. Longer hair creates more mystery and 'ages' the younger woman who wears it.

An impish smile and a playful demeanor go a long way to making short hair attractive. It really depends on the woman in question.
Oh, I agree. That's where my 5 percent comes in.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Some women just don't look right with short hair. Some hairdos and facial features just don't match well together. Hermione Granger (whoever the chick is who played her) looks great with her pixie cut. So did Natalie Portman when she was growing out her buzz cut. Hallie Barry in a pixie... all good. Really, Natalie and Hallie are blessed in such a way that they can wear their hair pretty much any way they want and still look fantastic.

Anne Hathaway on the other hand... looks like a nerdy boy.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,165,362 times
Anne doesn't look too bad with short hair, but I agree for her long hair looks better.

I think we're just so used to seeing long hair on women it doesn't look right when we see short hair on women. Many of the styles in the 20th century were actually quite short, if you look back. I have no problem with long hair on women if it's done right, but I probably generally do prefer long. It's definitely not a deal-breaker for me.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,730,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some women just don't look right with short hair. Some hairdos and facial features just don't match well together. Hermione Granger (whoever the chick is who played her) looks great with her pixie cut. So did Natalie Portman when she was growing out her buzz cut. Hallie Barry in a pixie... all good. Really, Natalie and Hallie are blessed in such a way that they can wear their hair pretty much any way they want and still look fantastic.

Anne Hathaway on the other hand... looks like a nerdy boy.
^^^
This.

I don't know if she looks like a nerdy boy so much but her facial features almost look too big for so little hair. She has such beautiful hair too. I thought it was one of her strong points as far as looks go when she had it long. It looked so healthy.

Usually I like short cuts but I think I am getting a bit sick of what is out there right now. It all seems a little dated.

Long healthy hair is linked to a long healthy life. I think that the attraction level for a lot of men is partly attributed to the natural drive within that isn't really a malleable choice.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,328,432 times
Because women are supposed to have long hair. The pixie cut looks 1997 ish and unfeminine.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,569,138 times
I think long hair is sensual- it moves, it can be silky, shiny, and appear soft. It feels good to touch. It softens facial features. I can understand why men like it. I am a hetero female and I think most women look better with long hair. There is something very beautiful about long, healthy, silky hair.

But it hasn't always been popular- if you look at high school year books from the 1950's, for example, most of the girls in them had short hair cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care