Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM

39 posts, read 390,073 times

Advertisements

I saw that the actress Anne Hathaway has cut her hair quite short into a pixie cut. It was for a movie but she said on a talk show that she wanted to cut her hair short for the longest time and the movie was just an excuse. Now she loves it short and it has got people talking. She has the perfect small features for short hair and I think it looks great.

But the comments about her new short haircut in the media and on message boards are just plain cruel. They say she looks like a boy or a ugly man now and she has to grow it long again so she can look like every other actress. Most of these comments come from men.

A few women I know also got pixie cuts recently. While they aren't as pretty as Anne Hathaway, they both have the small features and smallish head that looks great with short hair. But nearly every man is telling them their new haircuts look terrible and they HAVE to grow their hair out again.

Short hair on women used to be quite common and accepted and considered very feminine, why do so many men in the year 2012 feel a woman HAS TO have her hair long to be pretty?

Last edited by life time student; 07-16-2012 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Because it doesn't look feminine.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
I think it has a lit to do with how they style their short hair. There is a difference between a manly looking short hair it and a feminine looking short hair cut.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Small features? Anne Hathaway has impressively huge eyes, lips, and, yeah, nose. I think she's lovely but the super short cut allows her nose to become the central focus of her face and it's not a good look for her. Natalie Portman, on the other hand, looked hot as heck with her buzzed hair.

As for men, bah. I understand preferring long hair but any grown man who begs his girlfriend/wife not to cut her hair and gets upset if she does isn't much of a man to me.

Why is long hair considered feminine, anyway? Men's hair actually grows faster so long hair ought to be considered masculine, from a biological point of view.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Some of us actually prefer short hair on women! But I'd say we're very much the exception.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Halle Berry had her pixie cut (on and off) for years. It hasn't stopped men from considering her attractive.

The arguments I can think of are 1) most men just want to have something to run their fingers through 2) some men may also think women are becoming less feminine in general; short hairstyles and wearing jeans more often than dresses or skirts are some examples.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with liking jeans and shorter hair. Yet I suppose to these men, there's still an aura of femininity by women having longer hair and wearing dresses or skirts.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
my husband hates short hair on women he says it looks too manish .

Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,743 times
I have a pixie cut & I assure you I don't look "manish".. I look quite girly & feminine.

Seems many have a negative comment to say about short hair & I could also say that many women feel they need long hair to hide behind & to make them look pretty because they don't have the face to pull off short hair.

On a note from the OP, I think Anne Hathaway's hair is cute however, I don't think it suits her. I agree that her nose is slightly too big to pull if off.

Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron to name a few... perfect features for it.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I saw that the actress Anne Hathaway has cut her hair quite short into a pixie cut. It was for a movie but she said on a talk show that she wanted to cut her hair short for the longest time and the movie was just an excuse. Now she loves it short and it has got people talking. She has the perfect small features for short hair and I think it looks great.

But the comments about her new short haircut in the media and on message boards are just plain cruel. They say she looks like a boy or a ugly man now and she has to grow it long again so she can look like every other actress. Most of these comments come from men.

A few women I know also got pixie cuts recently. While they aren't as pretty as Anne Hathaway, they both have the small features and smallish head that looks great with short hair. But nearly every man is telling them their new haircuts look terrible and they HAVE to grow their hair out again.

Short hair on women used to be quite common and accepted and considered very feminine, why do so many men in the year 2012 feel a woman HAS TO have her hair long to be pretty?
All I know is that I don't find it attractive, at all. So all I can say is that I suspect many, many other men are like me. It's funny to run across this thread because I was recently thinking about this and thought "what if i got serious with a girl and she cut her hair off??" and I still don't know what to think of that possibility. "Yucky" is all I've got. I do know a girl who discovered she's gay (I guess) and cut off her hair..total transformation and she now looks like a young boy.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because it doesn't look feminine.
Yes, that's the jist of it to me. I love long hair because it looks feminine. And it's the femininity of a women that attracts me to them.

I will say that there are women who look good in short hair, but I find them to be very, very rare. And in those rare cases, I still think they'd look even better with longer hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care