Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times

Advertisements

I have curls and am always trying to work with ringlest. I have noticed when a magazine is describing CURLS it is always WAVES or a curl that has been blown out.... never a true curl or ringlet. Is anyone else noticing this? And when they show someone who has curly hair getting a makeover in a magazine do you notice they always straighten her hair???? instead of working with her curls and showing her HOW to do her hair? Does anyone else find this as frustrating as I do or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
I, myself, do not have curly hair and I wish I did. I love the look of thick, curly hair ala Annie or Diane Cannon, an older actress. I see women spending hours straightening their curly hair and I just wonder, "Why???" I always think they look better with their natural curls. Such a cool look!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Magazines are always projecting an image - it is up to you to decide if you can or want to follow it. Personally, I have very short legs, a long waist, an hourglass figure and wide feet. No way I will ever look anything like what magazines portray. If I got bent out of shape at everything a magazine portrayed that was difficult or impossible for me to emulate, I'd have lost my mind a loooong time ago. Do what you like with your hair, what looks nice and fits into your lifestyle.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Magazines are always projecting an image - it is up to you to decide if you can or want to follow it....
Do what you like with your hair, what looks nice and fits into your lifestyle.

Anyone else remember the 80's? When perms were more popular than relaxers and every girl owned a curling iron instead of a flat iron?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Magazines are always projecting an image - it is up to you to decide if you can or want to follow it. Personally, I have very short legs, a long waist, an hourglass figure and wide feet. No way I will ever look anything like what magazines portray. If I got bent out of shape at everything a magazine portrayed that was difficult or impossible for me to emulate, I'd have lost my mind a loooong time ago. Do what you like with your hair, what looks nice and fits into your lifestyle.
That is a great motto to live by.... and I don't straighten my hair since it usually takes almost an hour and I have two small kids... who has time for that My problem is when you are trying to stay on top of the latest styles and all the mags of showing curly haired women are LOOSE curls and straight hair.... it isn't very helpful now is it? it is extremely frustrating as I said in my previous post.... doesn't help me figure out how to wear my hair to a wedding or how to cut it does it?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Well, I guess that's pretty much how I could feel all the time but no amount of time spent will lengthen my legs or slenderize my feet. So if you have that option just by spending some time every now and then, I'd consider myself pretty lucky. Why not just embrace the gifts God gave you instead of trying to emulate some magazine picture? Just wait, in a year or two, they'll be showing something entirely different anyway.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
it is extremely frustrating as I said in my previous post.... doesn't help me figure out how to wear my hair to a wedding or how to cut it does it?
Find some role models and type their name into google images.

"Bernadette Peters" for instance, pulls up some great photos. I have always loved her hair and her style.

I also llike Tatiana's wild mane ion HGTV's "Property Shop" (hate the show, love her hair and clothes):

Google Image Result for http://www.hgtv.ca/DMM/P/R/Property_Shop__The_003.jpg

Take photos and explain to your stylist what you want. A good stylist should be able to work with curly styles as well as straight.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess that's pretty much how I could feel all the time but no amount of time spent will lengthen my legs or slenderize my feet. So if you have that option just by spending some time every now and then, I'd consider myself pretty lucky. Why not just embrace the gifts God gave you instead of trying to emulate some magazine picture? Just wait, in a year or two, they'll be showing something entirely different anyway.
Thanks for the self empowering message.... but I feel great about my curls and I don't want to straighten them.... nor do I want to emulate anyone.... I am just trying to stay on top of the latest fashion trends and not get stuck in the early 2000's.... since you do not have curly hair let me fill you in.... Magazines have been doing this to curly hair models/women in magazines for the past few years now... Even if you were to watch a make over show- like WHAT NOT TO WEAR and they were to do a make over on a curly haired woman they would most likely put a flat iron to her curls.... it is just the trend of the past few YEARS.... so I am just hoping it changes... I would love to read an article to figure out how to deal with my frizz or to control the crown of my head that never seems to contain the ringlets that were there in the morning and have now some how FALLEN.... an article about THAT would be great.... but instead it is about loosening my curl.... or blowing it out. But since you don't have curls you wouldn't undestand what I am talking about.... now would you? THIS is the frustration I am referring to..... NOT about being something I am not or emulating someone else or being thankful for what I have.... jeepers.....Anyone else with curls finding this to be the case? I would love some actual advice in magazines rather than them telling me how to get rid of the curl.... actual products that dont go CRUNCH!!! if you know what I mean.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Where did you get the idea I don't have curls?? I grew up with very course curly hair in the 70's when the ultimate in hair fashion belonged to Farrah...then Dorothy Hamill....been there done that. My point is only that at any given time, we're all trying to swim upstream with regards to fashion. If this is your first and only experience with that particular challenge then well, welcome! This year it's curls, next it will be something else. Fashion changes and at one point or another what you have will be in or it won't...that's all. Intent was not to be preachy in any way just am a little surprised at your frustration/surprise that the fashion isn't something that you naturally have at the moment. That's all. No biggee.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM

sorry I must have mixed yours and maja's post together when I read and thought you didn't have curls.... my mistake.... Why would it surprise you that I would be frustrated by that the curls on my head are something Fashion is fighting agains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care