Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

My hair grows entirely too quickly to maintain a short hairstyle without weekly cuts, which I will in no way commit to. I doubt my hair will ever be shorter than a chin-length bob at the very shortest, for this reason. I just cannot do that frequent of upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Yes. A lot of people make their decisions for convenience' sake.

I seem to notice that long styles can look great initially, but with a little exposure to wind or head shaking, they can look messy a lot sooner than a well done short haircut.

I used to think older women did not look well in longer styles, but now I just think certain faces look best with shorter or longer styles. Halle Berry, in my opinion, looks way better in that really short haircut. I think women with very feminine and delicate features look better in those very short styles.

Remember Bea Arthur? I cannot picture her in short hair. She'd probably have looked masculine.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. A lot of people make their decisions for convenience' sake.

I seem to notice that long styles can look great initially, but with a little exposure to wind or head shaking, they can look messy a lot sooner than a well done short haircut.

I used to think older women did not look well in longer styles, but now I just think certain faces look best with shorter or longer styles. Halle Berry, in my opinion, looks way better in that really short haircut. I think women with very feminine and delicate features look better in those very short styles.

Remember Bea Arthur? I cannot picture her in short hair. She'd probably have looked masculine.
Bea Arthur always had short hair unless you're talking about before Maude and Golden Girls.

I love long hair on women. My wife has grown her hair down to her shoulders. I'm sure as she gets older it will shorten up.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Bea Arthur always had short hair unless you're talking about before Maude and Golden Girls.

I love long hair on women. My wife has grown her hair down to her shoulders. I'm sure as she gets older it will shorten up.
I guess we differ on what we consider short.
Good for your wife.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
I also have thick wavy hair. For years, I use to keep it very short, but had to have frequent haircuts. So, finally two years ago I grew it out to just above my shoulders and this seems to be the easiest and most flattering style for me. I have it shaped and trimmed every two months.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Another vote for long hair here. My husband also loves long hair and always wonder why women get short butch haircuts that make them look like men when they are older. I see no feminine sexuality in that at all.

On the other hand, older women need to be aware of just how long their hair is for their face. Hair that is too long will weigh down an older woman's face and actually make her features look tired and drawn. Coloring also must be controlled to stay away from extreme blacks etc., that young girls can get away with - the same goes with makeup choices. Hair dyes and makeup that we wore at 20 can begin to look clown-ish after 40. If done right, long hair will maintain femininity and a more youthful appearance into old age.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Another vote for long hair here. My husband also loves long hair and always wonder why women get short butch haircuts that make them look like men when they are older. I see no feminine sexuality in that at all.

On the other hand, older women need to be aware of just how long their hair is for their face. Hair that is too long will weigh down an older woman's face and actually make her features look tired and drawn. Coloring also must be controlled to stay away from extreme blacks etc., that young girls can get away with - the same goes with makeup choices. Hair dyes and makeup that we wore at 20 can begin to look clown-ish after 40. If done right, long hair will maintain femininity and a more youthful appearance into old age.
Well, if you'd look at the site in the first post, about halfway down there is a slide show of long vs. short. There are older and younger women in both short and long hair. Some look horrid one way or the other, and I think there is no hard and fast rule about this. Some woman look gorgeous in short and awful in long, and vice versa.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:39 AM

Ok, I am going to be brave and post a fairly recent pic on my profile. When I grew my hair out from a very short hairstyle, people started to tell me I looked younger (am 56). I have my hair just a little longer now, but think that's the max length for me. I know several women who look great in very short hairstyles, but just is not for me. I also have a few highlights around the face which makes a BIG difference.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Beautiful iagal.

My mother has hair like yours but shoulder length and lighter. She is almost 65 and is the only person I know who is constantly carded when she tries to use her senior discount. No one believes her age.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Thanks, Bmachina. With all the great products out today, it's so much easier to deal with difficult hair than when I was young, and having daughters who are more up to date on the newest products helps too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care