Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 172,532 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have an issue with my haircolor turning purple when i put brown hair dye over my bleached hair. Maybe someone can help me out here?
So one day i decided to darken my roots, do this kind of balayage effect, light golden brown to blonde. I picked up some ion 6g and 6n at sally's , mixed it with 20vl (i had some regrowth) and put it over my roots. Let it develop for 20 min, washed it out and oh god. Most of it was brown but the closer it got to the mid-shaft the more purple it was. Why purple? I put gold on gold basically, i didn't use any ash. I decided to go over it with just 6g. Same issue, it got even more purple. I went ahead and made a second trip to sally's. Told the lady what happened and she told me to get 5g and try again. I did and it got darker obviously and so did my purple. I decided to strip the color completely and start fresh. Made a third trip to sally"s, picked up colorfix, 6g in a different brand AND a colorful warm brown filler. Girls that worked there didn't really know how to help me. I got rid of brown and purple, started out fresh. Put a warm brown filler on my roots, where i was planning to put the dye, waited 15 minutes and put 6g over the filler. Not only that my "balayage" turned out patchy and uneven, because it was harder to dye my roots over the filler, but i also got same result - purple. I got mad and stripped all the purple out of my hair. Now i have a very natural dark blonde transitioning into light blonde, but it is patchy in some places. Im not worried about the patchiness, i can fix it, but what color am i supposed to use in the future to avoid purple hair? Maybe i should have used a red filler instead of warm brown? Or maybe i should have used demi permanent dye instead of permanent? I don't understand how my hair turns purple if i put warm golden color on it? Ladies at Sallys don't know. Can't afford a professional right now, so maybe someone here knows a solution to this problem? Sallys girls offered me to try out light tagerine brown 5rg in demi permanent, did a strand test - purple. I have nothing against purple or red hair when people use those colors intentionally, but i personally wanted a natural look to my roots. Maybe i should try ash with red or warm brown filler next? Im going to leave my hair like that for awhile since it needs a break. But i am confused what to do with it in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
You sure are spending a lot of money on color for someone that can't afford a pro.

You are wasting your money and seriously damaging your hair, and possibly your scalp at this point.

Go to your local cosmetology school and see what they can do.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
You needed to add an ASH brown - a cool brown - over the bleached hair and then go back with a warm brown.

I know this for a fact because I went crazy and bleached my hair a couple of years ago. Absolutely hated it and my husband said he felt like he was sleeping with Billy Idol (I have short, spiky hair). So...I was going to just dye it the usual warm brown but thankfully I read up on it because I found out that contrary to what seems logical, to dye bleached hair brown you have to start with an ash brown and then put whatever you want over it.

Live and learn. Never again. It took me six months for all that damaged hair to grow out and act normal again.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You sure are spending a lot of money on color for someone that can't afford a pro.

You are wasting your money and seriously damaging your hair, and possibly your scalp at this point.

Go to your local cosmetology school and see what they can do.
Yeah, i just thought it was such an easy job to do that i didn't have to ask someone else to do it for me. The technique is easy and i loved my results, I've seen people come out of salons with botched balayage and ombre done by pro's, so i was really impressed that i did it all on my own and it turned out natural If only i knew what COLOR to use, i wouldn't have any issues at all. Color is what caused problems, not the technique itself, if only i could figure out the correct shade for my blonde, i wouldn't have to go see a pro. But i might have to, then I'll know which base to use and then probably keep refreshing it on my own with the right base.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann456 View Post
Yeah, i just thought it was such an easy job to do that i didn't have to ask someone else to do it for me. The technique is easy and i loved my results, I've seen people come out of salons with botched balayage and ombre done by pro's, so i was really impressed that i did it all on my own and it turned out natural If only i knew what COLOR to use, i wouldn't have any issues at all. Color is what caused problems, not the technique itself, if only i could figure out the correct shade for my blonde, i wouldn't have to go see a pro. But i might have to, then I'll know which base to use and then probably keep refreshing it on my own with the right base.

The cosmetology folks are there to teach about the proper use of chemicals and color on hair and how the hair follicle reacts to it, so I daresay they could fix you up.

And they're cheap too

Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You needed to add an ASH brown - a cool brown - over the bleached hair and then go back with a warm brown.

I know this for a fact because I went crazy and bleached my hair a couple of years ago. Absolutely hated it and my husband said he felt like he was sleeping with Billy Idol (I have short, spiky hair). So...I was going to just dye it the usual warm brown but thankfully I read up on it because I found out that contrary to what seems logical, to dye bleached hair brown you have to start with an ash brown and then put whatever you want over it.

Live and learn. Never again. It took me six months for all that damaged hair to grow out and act normal again.
Thats what i was thinking, since i keep getting purple tones from gold, red and neutral bases maybe I should try ash! What i read online though really concerned me because it seems like everyone that tries to dye their bleached hair light ash brown or dark ash blonde without fillers end up with GREEN hair! And the solution to that is putting gold base over green. But if i put gold on gold and end up with purple its just weird. Can't find any information on it online since people normally complain about green hues, not purple. I don't mind ash browns at all, my natural hair color is ash brown, i wasn't specifically going for golden blonde, i just read that gold is going to look gold on your hair unlike ash. That didn't work either! Oh well!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The cosmetology folks are there to teach about the proper use of chemicals and color on hair and how the hair follicle reacts to it, so I daresay they could fix you up.

And they're cheap too
Agree, i will give my hair a break for a little bit and then check them out. Thank you

Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I have naturally dark blonde hair. I went brown at one point a few years ago. Yellow cancels out purple, so you would need to add a color with a yellow base to cancel out the purple.

I have naturally dark blonde hair. When I go brown, I use an ash brown in a demi (not permanent). Sometimes, I have to color again and that usually gives me nice coverage and a gorgeous shade. I used to use herbashine to do this, but I don't think they make that any more.

I also do strand tests every time I color. The extra time and effort is so worth it, trust me on this one.

What color were your roots?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have naturally dark blonde hair. I went brown at one point a few years ago. Yellow cancels out purple, so you would need to add a color with a yellow base to cancel out the purple.

I have naturally dark blonde hair. When I go brown, I use an ash brown in a demi (not permanent). Sometimes, I have to color again and that usually gives me nice coverage and a gorgeous shade. I used to use herbashine to do this, but I don't think they make that any more.

I also do strand tests every time I color. The extra time and effort is so worth it, trust me on this one.

What color were your roots?

The problem with yellow not cancelling out purple accured when i put 6g again over the mix of 6g/6n . Since i already mixed gold and neutral and got purple instead, i thought putting an extra coat of 6gold would do the work and cancel out purple, but it stayed the same. Then after stripping all the color out i used 6g again and got the same result. So i put gold on gold and got purple. I understand a red base giving me a purple result...but gold?
My roots were medium ash brown. But since i've been a blonde for so long my hair is light yellow close to platinum. I used to tone it with purple shampoos and wella toners but then i just stopped. It hasn't been brassy in years. It would only get brassy at the roots when i applied bleach. I know brown dyes can react certain way with different shades of blonde. Before i used any of those gold base dyes my hair was medium ash brown at the roots, then brassy blonde, then almost platinum towards the middle and the ends. So it turned out a nice light golden brown at my roots down to where my brassy blonde used to be. The lower it got the more purple it was, which means my "platinum" part didn't take the brown very well. I'm sorry if i dont make any sense, english is not my first language but gold base over gold base didn't work, it only intensified the purple

Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann456 View Post
The problem with yellow not cancelling out purple accured when i put 6g again over the mix of 6g/6n . Since i already mixed gold and neutral and got purple instead, i thought putting an extra coat of 6gold would do the work and cancel out purple, but it stayed the same. Then after stripping all the color out i used 6g again and got the same result. So i put gold on gold and got purple. I understand a red base giving me a purple result...but gold?
My roots were medium ash brown. But since i've been a blonde for so long my hair is light yellow close to platinum. I used to tone it with purple shampoos and wella toners but then i just stopped. It hasn't been brassy in years. It would only get brassy at the roots when i applied bleach. I know brown dyes can react certain way with different shades of blonde. Before i used any of those gold base dyes my hair was medium ash brown at the roots, then brassy blonde, then almost platinum towards the middle and the ends. So it turned out a nice light golden brown at my roots down to where my brassy blonde used to be. The lower it got the more purple it was, which means my "platinum" part didn't take the brown very well. I'm sorry if i dont make any sense, english is not my first language but gold base over gold base didn't work, it only intensified the purple
Hmmm, so the purple is showing up where the dyed platinum is?

Color can't totally lift color, but it can remove a half-shade (in my experiences). I wonder if the platinum has a blue base that's being revealed when you try to use permanent color. Permanent color opens the cuticle and then adds color so maybe that has something to do with it?

What I do know is that with my blonde shade (natural or dyed) I don't use permanent color to darken. It just doesn't work properly. I use a good demi to deposit color. Yeah, it will eventually fade, so will permanent color.

Your roots are medium ash brown and the rest is dyed platinum and you're trying to lighten your roots and darken the rest of the hair? In that case, I'd use permanent on roots only to lighten and demi to deposit color on the rest of the hair (in varying shades of brown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care