Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times

Advertisements

I agree.

I also wouldn't teach my child to be someone its not just so it can "fit in"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM

562 posts, read 2,404,120 times
I hear what you are all saying, and agree in sentiment. But realize you are saying what you would want for "your child". My point is not that I want to teach my daughter to be someone who fits in, anyone who knows me knows I am a free spirit in many ways. My point is that there can be negative social consequences to an extreme style and it is a PARENTAL decision to be made by the parent and child.

This post is not about hair styles it is about respect for the discretion of the person responsible for well being of the child- which is the parent.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
What does everyone else think?
With a 14 year old moving to a new school, she is already stressed enough. She is probably searching for an identity, and some of the make-up and hair cuts at that age can be pretty crazy looking.

Regardless of whether it came from the step mom or not, it's hers and I'd go easy on her. The less you say, the more apt she'll be to change it. So if I were you, I'd find something else to focus on!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM

562 posts, read 2,404,120 times
Done.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I hear what you are all saying, and agree in sentiment. But realize you are saying what you would want for "your child". My point is not that I want to teach my daughter to be someone who fits in, anyone who knows me knows I am a free spirit in many ways. My point is that there can be negative social consequences to an extreme style and it is a PARENTAL decision to be made by the parent and child.

This post is not about hair styles it is about respect for the discretion of the person responsible for well being of the child- which is the parent.
I'm not in your situation in that respect but I have to wonder if a parent did make the decision. Did your ex-husband approve the style even though it was the step-mom who accompanied your daughter? Your ex and his wife may very well have discussed it prior and he may not have seen a problem with it. Unless you ask, you don't know for sure. And he is your daughter's parent.

Also, I think some of us don't see "an extreme hair style" as enough of an issue as to require deep thought or discussion. Nor do some of us believe that the "negative social consequences" are all that serious. It isn't the same as if your ex and his wife gave permission for a tattoo; that requires parental involvement because it's permanent.

The only way I can relate to the situation is that if my mother took my daughter to have her hair done and they chose that style without consulting me, I'd probably not give it another thought. My only concern would be if it goes against my daughter's private school dress code. Other than that, no problem.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
on the hair thing.
trust me its not just a stage that will go away or should be ignored. lack of discipline and order have a crippling effect on kids. lack of discipline results in more aggressive forms of bad behavior down the road. talk to the genetic parent and then move forward. often genetic parents resist discipline and order, bek the genetic parent feels the need to compensate and protect for their marital failures. very few americans suffer from too much discipline.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:28 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,767 times
fabumom07
i understand your frustration and fears related to the now "old' haircut and style. I still think the SM should not be blamed for what happened. if your 14 year old daughter went to CA saying my mom said i could get a cut and color (without you specifying what she can and cannot do), then how is SM-s fault? Most likely your daughter said I want this cut and that was the end of it. It's not SM's responsibility to say 'no that's extreme.' she's not her daughter. all she got was 'i can go to a hairdresser while I am visiting you guys.'
i think you have learned your lesson here, and by the way that style would not be ok for a 14 year old anywhere, big or small city.
good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,137,128 times
sounds like mom is trying to cause trouble for stepmom~ your attitude is doing you no good! Stepmom well within her rights~ and dauther likes her new cut and mom trying to cut her down for it! If you do not like hairstyle send your daughter back to her dad and stepmom~ at least they are civil with the kid!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,567 times
I can't even believe there is a discussion about whether or not a girl that age should be able to do what she wants with her hair... she's a teenager, not a seven year old, parents need to put away their anxieties and prejudice and allow their kids to express themselves. A decade from now she may not be able to have the hair she wants due to the workplace, she's at the age now where she should be able to experiment. I did some CRAZY things to my appearance at that age... and it DID limit who I could befriend, it limited my friends to those who could look beyond appearance and judgment and kept me away from the girls who pandered to what others thought.

Just what we need, another girl raised to believe she should please others instead of herself. It sounds to me perhaps the mother is hurt by the fact that the girl went through such a drastic change with the stepmom rather than herself. Or perhaps she is worried that others will judge her parenting ability based on her daughter's hair and now wants to pass those insecurities on to the next generation.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
on the hair thing.
trust me its not just a stage that will go away or should be ignored. lack of discipline and order have a crippling effect on kids. lack of discipline results in more aggressive forms of bad behavior down the road. talk to the genetic parent and then move forward. often genetic parents resist discipline and order, bek the genetic parent feels the need to compensate and protect for their marital failures. very few americans suffer from too much discipline.
Hm... I used to have hair dyed every color, sometimes a shaved head, multiple piercings, wore fishnets and punk-rock regalia when I was in my teens... as I am nearing 30, happily married, happily living, earning an advanced degree, and sporting normal looks outside one tattoo and one piercing, I have serious doubt that a) a hairstyle is indicative of a lack of discipline or b) lack of discipline is crippling.

There was plenty of discipline and order in my household, however it was reserved for situations that actually impacted my wellbeing and future, such as grades, manners, self-esteem, and healthy relationships. In addition, I also learned to look beyond appearances, a vital life skill that so many children are never taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care