Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,810 times

Advertisements

I have shoulder length hair at the moment and I've had it this way for quite some time now, so I'm beginning to miss my longer hair. My hair was at it's longest (down to my lower back) when I was a kid, and at any point since then when I've tried to grow it long again, the best I come to is a few inches below the shoulders before I get sick of it and chop it off again.

I can never seem to deal with the dead ends long enough, and it seems that if I keep trimming the dead ends my hair will never grow to any decent length.

Do you have any helpful tips, tricks, or hints for trying to grow long, beautiful hair all over again?

TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I have shoulder length hair at the moment and I've had it this way for quite some time now, so I'm beginning to miss my longer hair. My hair was at it's longest (down to my lower back) when I was a kid, and at any point since then when I've tried to grow it long again, the best I come to is a few inches below the shoulders before I get sick of it and chop it off again.

I can never seem to deal with the dead ends long enough, and it seems that if I keep trimming the dead ends my hair will never grow to any decent length.

Do you have any helpful tips, tricks, or hints for trying to grow long, beautiful hair all over again?

TIA!

A few tips I got while growing out my hair,now midback!
1. Do away with heat styling,any and all. Air dry.
2. Dont wash as often, it really doesnt need every day for sure.
3. Once it gets long enough, put it up out of sight. Forget about it
for a while and soon enough it will grow longer.
4.CONDITION alot.
5. Eat well and take vitamins
6. Trim only when absolutely neccesary
Hope this helps some.

Greenchili

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
4.CONDITION alot.
Hope this helps some.

Greenchili
Any recommendations for conditioners?

I typically wash my hair every other day, or sometimes will go two days, so I have that part down. Once a month or so I'll wash with a clarifying shampoo and follow that up with one of those protein building conditioners (the little packets you buy at the beauty store for $1..I assume they're the same type of conditioner that comes with hair coloring products..it's really thick, rich stuff, not like you'd find in a bottle of Suave or anything).

Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
You HAVE to get regular trims--or the hair just will break off on it's own. Don't wash everyday, if you don't have to. Comb, rather than brushing...it's better for your hair and won't "split" the ends so quickly!
Hair is dead---once it grows out of your head, it's the same as your fingernails! If you blow dry, dry from underneath, to keep the top part (the part everyone sees!) from drying out so much!

If your hair doesn't grow fairly quickly, it's hard to let it grow long...and if it does, it usually looks sort of "ratty". Don't worry so much about length, just keep your hair looking healthy!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Even though hairstylists will tell you to - you do not need regular trims - I dont and my long hair is in beautiful condition - no split ends and glistening.
My secret is that I wash it at night and do not use any heat appliances on it - no blow dryer - nothing. The blow dryer is what ruins hair.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,324 times
take at least a multivitamin a day. I never used to take vitamins,but then I decided I want to grow my hair down to my butt. So I started taking zinc, a multivitamin, and calcium and my hair is growing much faster!
Also no straightening, or blowdrying-that just ruins it!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
4.CONDITION alot.
Hope this helps some.

Greenchili
I agree with all this but not the conditioner. I dont like getting haircuts so have not since 1999. Im an over 50 man. Almost never do I use conditioner.

I will add something I learned from a trusted hair stylist. Never use the same shampoo forever. Change often. You can go back to one you used in the past but just change often. Your hair can get too used to a specific type and can cause problems.

And I never trim, never have split ends, nothing like that..

Most of all like everyone else said, lose the hair dryer. AND NO SPRAY. Leave it natural all the time!

I just tie it back and let it growwwwwww.

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-23-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
- comb your conditioner through in the shower with a conditioning comb
- deep conditioner once a week
- spray leave in conditioner
- wash hair in warm to cool water, not hot
- gentlest shampoo you can - baby shampoo is great if you can get away with it
- try sulfate free shampoos - less drying
- Before the blowdry : add spray in conditioner, comb thru, towel dry by patting (not rubbing and twisting) in front of fan to avoid need for heat from the dryer.
- heat styling tips: high watt ionic dryer, heat protecter spray, always use lowest setting, only dry hair to damp not bone dry, don't use cheap flat irons or curlers, really read reviews on those.
- biotin
- don't make tight pony tails and change pony tail position often.
- make sure your clips, bands etc are not damaging you hair.Get things that are damage free like nylon loops or flat rubber bands made to slide out and not bind. (my favorite for a tight non-damage hold)

Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
What I learned in cosmetology was you have to cut it at least once every eight weeks but every six weeks is better. The splitting moves up the shaft of the hair and makes it take longer to grow long b'c it breaks off. 1/4 inch every six to eight weeks will get it to grow faster than if you didn't cut it at all. It sure works for me.

Another thing is don't shampoo. Yes, you heard me right. Shampoos are detergents and harsh on hair. Have you ever heard of Wen? Check it out online. It's worth a try. It's so gentle to your hair, doesn't strip it of the essential oils your hair needs and it's ultra conditioning. It gives full instructions on how to use it, how often, etc.

Also, stand on your head everyday to get the blood circulating there. If you have a slant board that would be great. Just lay on it and relax for about 15 minutes a day or so.

Massage your scalp and don't use heating oils. They can clog things up and slow down the growing process.

ETA: I forgot to add, after cleansing and conditioning with Wen, I rinse with cool or tepid water to close the follicle. It also feels good on the scalp.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 01-24-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
WEN is sulfate free i do believe isn't it? There was a thread here somewhere...and it comes with a comb I think if you get the package deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care