Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

Tips for at-home hair coloring Always go for two shades lighter or darker. Do not go by the picture on the hair color box. It is always safe to test a few strands before you completely color hair. Apply vaseline around hairline before your begin to color. It is advisable to wash hair a day before the day of coloring. Do not wash hair at least 24 h after you color. To protect your hair always deep condition dry hair a week before your color hair. After you color your hair, always use deep condition every week and use color enhancing shampoos.
For more information about hair care & coloring visit Coloring your hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,561,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I used to color my hair a lot. But now I'm down to 2 times a year (I now stick to #54 Light Golden Brown; Revlon Colorsilk). Light golden brown is the right shade for me. Everyone loves it and prefers it better too.

But I used to darken my hair a lot (from dark brown or brown-black shades) for the last 5 years until I stuck with light golden brown. I had a Bettie Page phase at the time.

And I was once a bleached blonde for 7 years (used to bleach my roots every 2-3 months). I quit doing that 5 years ago and went darker until now.

I like Revlon Colorsilk (it's cheaper, but does a great job on my hair), Nice & Easy, and Garnier Nutrisse (when it comes to hair dye brands). When I had bleached blonde hair I had used Born Blonde bleaching kits and toners.
What is the difference between the colorsilk and luminista? Thks.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM

240 posts, read 421,265 times
I color only 1 time a year nowadays (medium brown).

I cut my hair extremely short this time (just last week) and letting it grow out naturally for the next year.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
I color mine with semi-permanent color, about a shade or two lighter than my natural shade (although for the life of me I can't remember what that is! LOL). Usually about every 2 months, right after I get my hair cut.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,470,929 times
It depends on when the gray starts to show.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,563,072 times
My roots are pure white in front and mixed white/grey/regular color on the rest of my head- so my roots show up quickly.

What I do is get my roots professionally colored every 6-7 weeks.

In between, I dye the front half of my head every three weeks. I can't do the back by myself.

I also went to a lighter shade of color so that the light roots don't stand out as much.

I get sick of it, but I am too young to have pure white/grey hair.

Plus I love the various shades of hair that you can have and look forward to more color changes in the future. I started dying my hair for fun when I was 17 and I haven't seen my natural shade since then- I've had everything from jet black to platinum blonde, neon pink while in college, and now I am headed into the golden blonde shades.

I also like the fact that hair color softens the hair - which helps when you have a lot of coarse gray hair on your head.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,619,898 times
I touch up my roots about every 5 weeks with L'Oreal Excellence, which is a permanent color. My natural hair is white-white in the front and salty salt & pepper on the sides and back. I have a three way mirror in my bathroom (so I can twist around enough to see the back of my hair) and I use a dye brush and just do little sections and only the new growth. About 2x/year, I use a frosting cap and pull thru on about half the holes and dye that hair a darker shade for some lowlights and keep my hair from looking too monotone.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,256,311 times
My roots at my hairdresser every 6 wks. and low lights every 12 wks. I let the Professionals do it.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM

861 posts, read 1,126,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I am wondering how many people color their hair at home and how often they do it? my hair grows really fast, but I don't want to overdo the whole coloring thing! I could not afford to go to a salon for the touch ups..it would break me because my hair grows so fast. I really hate the look of the gray roots showing!
I color my hair whenever I feel up to it

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 AM

286 posts, read 689,866 times
I touch up my roots every 4 months ... I lighten my hair with Clairol Professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care