Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

129 posts, read 428,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Lots of buffets going on if you don't want to eat in a hotel.
Could you give me the names of the ones you are talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I have always heard good thing about Founders Inn but I have the same sentiment about Pat R. I have never been to FI and hated going to Regent to use their law library just b/c of his association. Not only is he a nut in my opinion, I've heard he is just not a nice person in general. My friend waited on him once at a restaurant in Chesapeake and she said he was so rude to her and acted like a complete a-hole towards her.

I don't really have any suggestions as far as restaurants for T-Day. I've been out of the area so long now, my recommendations may not even be relevant.
Yeah he's a freakin' nutcase. And frankly, I don't think the food is all that at Founder's Inn. However, you can't beat the place for taking family holiday pics...it really is decorated beautifully. My mom still drags us all there most every Christmas Eve, and even though I decline the menu ( I can't eat enough to justify such prices) I have my camera at the ready. I take our Christmas pics there every year.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videographer View Post
Could you give me the names of the ones you are talking about?
Captain Georges will certainly have a spread. The Hilton at the Oceanfront has one as well.

The list in this link is for last year, but I expect the list is not very different for this year.

Lazy Thanksgiving: What Restaurants Are Open On Thursday | AltDaily : Creating and celebrating local culture in Norfolk and all of Hampton Roads.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Golden Corral is good, but you have to find the right locations. The one on Independence is good, but the one on Volvo in Chesapeake is by far the better ones that I've been to.
Erma, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't know why that is, but the one at the intersection of Volvo Parkway and Battlefield Blvd is so much more enjoyable. We've found that the servers are more friendly and personally, we like the actual layout of the buffets much better.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Default Thanksgiving buffets

Shoney's restaurant is doing a buffet on Thanksgiving day at least until 5pm. I don't know if the one on Indian River is having one, but the restaurant at Newtown Rd/Virginia Beach Blvd is. At a lot less than $30-$40 per person.

You don't mention if your hotel is down at the Oceanfront or not, but Angelo's by the Sea on Atlantic (inside the Best Western) has a Tday buffet for about $20 per person with a lesser amount for kids under 12.

Captain George's seafood restaurant has their Tday buffet for about $20 a person. Usually their buffet is about $30 a pop, so the $20 is a good deal and the food is good.

That's about all I can think of right now. You can also check the website of the Virginian Pilot newspaper. I think there's a link or a tab that features dining out in Hampton Roads.

I betcha you'll find something.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Erma, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't know why that is, but the one at the intersection of Volvo Parkway and Battlefield Blvd is so much more enjoyable. We've found that the servers are more friendly and personally, we like the actual layout of the buffets much better.
Yep...now and then I stop in for a salad and rotisierrie chicken to take back to the office. The folks a volvo an battlefield is my favorite. Nice people and great service.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM

129 posts, read 428,825 times
Thanks everyone, we ended up at the Golden Corral on Vovlo after having a bad experience prior with the Capt. Georges in Williamsburg.

We showed up about 1045am which was 15 minutes prior to the scheduled opening. I was expecting to have to wait in a long line, however the doors were already open and there was just 3 families in front of us. We had our pick of the restaurant to sit at, and went straight to the turkey. It hadn't been cut yet, and they asked us which type of meat would we like, and they beging carving away.

The only thing that day that didn't taste fresh was the deserts. They did have the look and texture of being made 2-3 days earlier, but everything else looked and tasted fresh.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
We went to Golden Corral also, only to the one in Newport News. Everything I tried was really good and fresh. I can't say much for the desserts since I only had the pecan pie tart, but that was really, really good! We even ended up taking some turkey, ham, stuffing and mashed potatos in a take out order so that we would have some 'leftovers' for dinner or lunch the next day.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videographer View Post
Thanks everyone, we ended up at the Golden Corral on Vovlo after having a bad experience prior with the Capt. Georges in Williamsburg.

We showed up about 1045am which was 15 minutes prior to the scheduled opening. I was expecting to have to wait in a long line, however the doors were already open and there was just 3 families in front of us. We had our pick of the restaurant to sit at, and went straight to the turkey. It hadn't been cut yet, and they asked us which type of meat would we like, and they beging carving away.

The only thing that day that didn't taste fresh was the deserts. They did have the look and texture of being made 2-3 days earlier, but everything else looked and tasted fresh.
I'm not for the desserts, but I always find the food is great at the Volvo location. Their chicken is awesome and they have one of the better salad bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area