Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 29,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
My husband and I are both going for IT degrees but dont have them yet. Are there any places around here in Hampton Roads that will hire without a degree? I'd really like to get experience in the field instead of wasting away in the job I am in. We've both applied for IT jobs that dont require college and so far no luck. Any comments would be appreicated.
I know many, many IT pros (myself included) that don't have a degree or have a degree in some completely unrelated area. Most companies really don't care about that, they want someone who has the following:

- Knowledge in a given discipline
- Drive
- Great attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Good with people (IT generally serves the company, therefore users in a company become an IT professionals 'customers'.

Have you and/or your husband decided what area of IT you'd like to pursue? Basically it boils down to two areas - programming and networking, each with its own disciplines. I am in networking and in that area, there are some disciplines very much in demand:

- Microsoft AD (many people already in this, but still in demand)
- Cisco (same as Microsoft)
- Security - VPN/SSL, Firewalls
- Voice over IP (VoIP) - growing demand but requires networking and voice knowledge.
- Storage (EMC, Dell, etc.)
- Wireless - somewhat a commodity now but there are specialized areas.

My advice is to look into programming vs networking and decide which of these you'd want to do. Then, choose a discipline within one of these and throw everything you have into it.

Whatever you do, learn the basics of networking and all you can about TCP/IP. Learn how the Internet works (how does a PC connect to the Internet and find websites?). Know firewalls. This knowledge transcends whatever you do in IT.

You can always start as a PC/Help Desk Technician and go from there. Many have started that way (myself included). It is probably the best way to go if you're going into networking.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 150,884 times
I can agree with psatm above. The IT field is vast. You have to specialize in something to earn a high paying degree. For example, I specialize in web services engineering with a clearance and 10 years experience, NO degree and my salary is over $85K.
I have trained many friends on how to make money in IT, and they have.
1. Get a job that will apply for a security clearance for you, THIS IS KEY! (at least in this area).
2. Define yourself as a subject matter expert in a specific niche ( ie. Web, MS Windows, Programming, UNIX, databases, Router/Switches, etc.)
3. I actually recommend getting an industry certification before a degree, degrees are for management, certifications are for technical experts. If you have both you can position yourself for a technical manager in 5 - 10 years.

Good Luck.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,834 times
Hi

I am from India.

I dont have a degree but I do have experience of 1 year and 4 months in IT.

Is it possible for to find a job in US?

Please let me know if there are any options available.

thanks and regards
Avinash Sharma

Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash.V.Sharma View Post
Hi

I am from India.

I dont have a degree but I do have experience of 1 year and 4 months in IT.

Is it possible for to find a job in US?

Please let me know if there are any options available.

thanks and regards
Avinash Sharma

Contact Dell....most of my tech support is either from India or IN India.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

I have worked as a business analyst, as a database designer, as a system integrator in XML and XSLT approach and have worked as a Quality tester and last but not the least I was a leading a team of 15 members as a team leader.

Well with such rich experience don't you think I will be wasting my talent and knowledge if I work as a tech support.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Even with "rich experience," if you find that being a tech support is more fulfilling and makes you happier, then go for it.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash.V.Sharma View Post
I have worked as a business analyst, as a database designer, as a system integrator in XML and XSLT approach and have worked as a Quality tester and last but not the least I was a leading a team of 15 members as a team leader.

Well with such rich experience don't you think I will be wasting my talent and knowledge if I work as a tech support.
Like I mentioned earlier that I dont have a degree and I am looking for a job in US.
If there is anyone here who can help me in anyway please let me know.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 29,938 times
The best thing to do is first decide if you want to keep doing the same type of IT work you were doing before. Then decide where in the U.S. you want to live. Then send your resume to job placement companies. They are a great source of employment, especially for people transferring in or learning a new career. They know everyone and they get your name out. The demand for IT jobs is still strong, in spite of the economic problems the U.S. has been having.

I would guess that if you continue doing the same work here that you have been doing (dbase design, XML, XSLT, etc.) then you will get more money than if you decided to do something new in IT and started at the bottom.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM

7 posts, read 12,425 times
I recommend looking into getting a job at KIS (Knowledge Information Solutions). I used to work there back in 2002 and loved it. That is where I gained the majority of my IT experience. They are based in VA Beach but do work all around the Newport news, Hampton Roads area. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Alot has to do with experience as well. Our son has a degree and had a hard time finding entry level just to pay his school loans. He ended up going into the Air Force (which in our opinion was a smart idea for him) and does his job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area