Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM

673 posts, read 3,148,067 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both going for IT degrees but dont have them yet. Are there any places around here in Hampton Roads that will hire without a degree? I'd really like to get experience in the field instead of wasting away in the job I am in. We've both applied for IT jobs that dont require college and so far no luck. Any comments would be appreicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:06 PM

239 posts, read 939,628 times
Do you have any working experience in IT?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM

No and that's the problem. We have no working experience in IT and that's why we're both trying to find entry level jobs or something to get our foot in the door while we go to school. We both have drafting and design experience and years of it. I am going on 4 years and my husband is going on 8 years of it. We both would like to get into an IT job before we make too much money to be considered for an entry level job. We may just have to wait until we get our degrees but then again I've known people who someone got into the IT field without degrees and made decent salaries. When they got their degree they got had their salaries adjusted nicely. These days it seems everything requires a Bachelors degree. My husband has about a year and a half for his and I have about three years to go.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 17,847 times
Wi Girl,
mu husband is an IT and without a BS. He is currently up for his 2nd interview and has had a few other offers (NoVA). he does have 10 years experince and applied for ALOT of positions but persistence is key...there are jobs out there. Do not give up. Have you tried Dice.com as well as USAjobs (govt jobs)? Also, Ferguson has entry level jobs as well as many other companies in the area. Keep trying. hope that helps.
Daisymama

Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

48 posts, read 187,595 times
Smile It Jobs Without A Degree

Information Technology covers a large area.
In today's business world, approximately 95% of organizations are run by an IT system. And, every industry has their own jargon.

1. Your husband and you must decide what industry to pursue in order to obtain a job and experience in the IT world.

2. Search the net for the "jargon" associated with that industry. This is crucial. You may not need to know how the industry is run, however, you must be able to talk lingo within the company (evening during the interview).
Otherwise, how will you be able to perform the job and fix errors and build systems without it.

3. There are many entry level jobs for IT folks. Perhaps the best job search technique to use are those job sites dedicated to IT professions.

4. Banking, healthcare (medical facilities, electronic health records, medical practice software companies) consulting (healthcare & financial) are quite big in hiring IT folks.

I wish your husband and you best wishes on your job search. Don't give up, you will both land that wonderful job!

Regrds,

Old 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM

132 posts, read 538,094 times
I almost want to say that IT jobs are going to be the "new factory" jobs, almost blue collar.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM

48 posts, read 187,595 times
Smile It Jobs Without A Degree

You may want to check out - Northrop Grumman
Defense Jobs at Northrop Grumman (http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getQuery.do - broken link)

(The link reads defense jobs but, the jobs are for various industries from this one company)
They have a healthcare IT division which I'm going to explore further during my job search for relocation purposes.
I don't know anything about the company except what I've read on their webpages. Perhaps someone in the HR area can elaborate on the company for the both of us.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msviolar View Post
You may want to check out - Northrop Grumman
Defense Jobs at Northrop Grumman (http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getQuery.do - broken link)

(The link reads defense jobs but, the jobs are for various industries from this one company)
They have a healthcare IT division which I'm going to explore further during my job search for relocation purposes.
I don't know anything about the company except what I've read on their webpages. Perhaps someone in the HR area can elaborate on the company for the both of us.

Thanks for the link. I actually work at NG and have been there 4 years in Jan. I'm in design though and want to get out and go into IT but you need a Bachelors Degree first.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 25,524 times
Cox, EDS (you'll have to undergo background check and clearance if you don't already have it orking for NG), Dollar Tree HQ, Dendright, EVMS...

Perfect your resume as much as you can. Just b/c an ad mentions a preferance or "requirement" for a degree, you should still send it in so long as you're confident in your abilities. That's what catches their interest.
GL.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,017,382 times
I've had 4 or 5 IT jobs that paid in the $35K to 50K range. Each one of them REQUIRED a degree, but I have no degrees and no IT certifications. I think alot of it comes down to how you come across in the interview process. If you KNOW in your heart that you can do the job, the person doing the interview will pick up on that vibe.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area