Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,095 times

Advertisements

most people say that SF is so much of a bigger place than hampton roads but it really isnt
it's really the same i mean the only thing that HR is missing is it's respect
but u have rural areas in every big city
there is skyscrapers and upcoming developements in VB also
HR just needs it's respect
yea both citys have rough surroundings
like SF has Oakland but VB has Norfolk/Portsmouth and Newport News also Richmond the 4th worst city in america also was the murder capital
they both have nice places and rural
the oceanfront is like the bay to a certain extent not exactally but it is
so there equal in my eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
I'm strongly considering a move from the SF Bay Area to VA Beach. I've been here over 20 years but lived in VA Beach for a short time many years ago.

Without trying to sound too negative, I'll clue you in on the Bay Area a bit. It's great if you can afford it. If you are a computer guy, you might want to save moving expenses and head straight to Bangalor because that's where your job is going. Housing is very expensive. Any place you want to live will start at $800K. Renting would be a better option. I bought in the mid-'80s and paid off the mortgage years ago so that's a burden I don't have to bear. I couldn't afford to live here now if I were just moving in. You can get homes for as little as $350K but it will be in Richmond (Yes, we've got one of those too) or East Oakland. Personally, I choose life. If you plan to become a drug dealer or a gang member, those would be great communities to live and work. Emeryville is an odd place. It's very high rent but also has an alarmingly high violent crime rate. I suppose the more successful drug dealers live there.

The I-880 corridor is one of the most heavily traveled in the country and if you find a place for less than $900K, you'll be driving on it. I've been rear-ended 4 times on I-880 in 10 years and my insurance man tells me I have better luck than most. I-680 is slightly better but it too can test the limits of your patience and resolve. The 101 is a mess from Santa Rosa all the way to LA.

Some folks say the weather is perfect. My guess is they are new arrivals and don't realize we're in a drought (sp?). The Bay area is at the bottom end of the Pacific Northwest. Normally we have two seasons, Hot/dry/ and cold/wet. There are a lot of Brits living in this area and the weather reminds them very much of home. It doesn't actually rain, it drizzles almost constantly for 3 or 4 months. Except in Pacifica and San Francisco itself, summers can be brutal. It may not rain for 6 or 7 months. It gets tough to breathe. Livermore hit 118 F this summer. It's usually pleasant right on the coast but inland gets really hot. It's dry hot so your AC will work well. Weather in this area is entirely different from The east coast. We have typical Pacific Northwest weather patterns. It rains all winter and it doesn't rain in the summer. We don't have autumn or spring. It's either hot or wet. The beaches are great but like any other beach, the rents are high. This isn't LA, the water is cold. The water in VA isn't tropical warm but it's much warmer than here. The SF Bay is only about 100 feet at it's deepest spot so though still quite cool it warms up a bit more in certain areas.

I'm not saying the Bay Area isn't a great place to live but it's very different from the East coast and nothing at all like LA. Many new arrivals view California as some 1960's Beach party movie and can be very disappointed. This isn't it. LA is closer but still way off. This area is Northern Californian and bears no resemblence to Southern California in climate or personality.

No matter where you work, I'd recommend you live in the same city since commuting expenses will offset any savings you may have from living further out. Fuel in the Bay Area is the most expensive in the US. It's a lot cheaper than the UK but the distances we must cover are much greater and you'll burn through it fast. Unless you live in SF, you need a car. Outside of SF, mass transit is a joke. That's a huge consideration. The east coast has a much more well developed infrastructure than anything in the west. Without a car, you're hosed. Unless you happen to live on a BART line, getting to SF is tough. The busses will get you there eventually but most people like to take time to sleep occasionally. Taking a nap on the bus probably isn't a good idea.

Wages are higher here than in most of the US but the cost of housing is unreal and wages didn't rise nearly as fast or as high as expenses. Back in the '80s it was great. Prices were a little bit higher than other places but wages were a LOT higher. Not so any more. Depending on what your needs are, I feel that your standard of living will be higher on the East coast.

Now, if you're into skiing, whitewater kayaking or surfing, This is the place to be. If you're a motorcyclist who enjoys canyon carving, this is the best in the US. Ca is the only state that allows lane splitting so many European Motorcyclists like this area. If you split anywhere else, people will open their car doors on you for a laugh. An out of state driver was surprised a few years ago when he was charged with attempted manslaughter after opening his door and injuring a motorcyclist. Also, we don't have many of the cool bikes available in Europe. The list gets even smaller in CA since a few bikes available in the other 49 can't be licensed in CA due to emission laws. Don't try the trick of buying a new car or bike out of state at a much lower price. It has to have a certain number of miles to be licensed here if it's not a CA car. CA is quite adept at collecting it's various taxes. Used cars can be a crap-shoot. It must pass a smog test to get tags. We've got the toughest emissions laws in the country and the tests for LA and the Bay Area are tougher yet. There is no waiver or expense limit any more. You make it pass no matter the cost or you don't drive it. For some odd reason, we don't have a safety inspection. If it's got bald tires and bad brakes but passes smog, you're golden! Go figure.

There's a lot a great things here but unless you're really making great money I think there are many other places you might want to take a look at.

Come visit. You'll like it or you won't.
Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 PM

646 posts, read 813,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm strongly considering a move from the SF Bay Area to VA Beach. I've been here over 20 years but lived in VA Beach for a short time many years ago.

Without trying to sound too negative, I'll clue you in on the Bay Area a bit. It's great if you can afford it. If you are a computer guy, you might want to save moving expenses and head straight to Bangalor because that's where your job is going. Housing is very expensive. Any place you want to live will start at $800K. Renting would be a better option. I bought in the mid-'80s and paid off the mortgage years ago so that's a burden I don't have to bear. I couldn't afford to live here now if I were just moving in. You can get homes for as little as $350K but it will be in Richmond (Yes, we've got one of those too) or East Oakland. Personally, I choose life. If you plan to become a drug dealer or a gang member, those would be great communities to live and work. Emeryville is an odd place. It's very high rent but also has an alarmingly high violent crime rate. I suppose the more successful drug dealers live there.

The I-880 corridor is one of the most heavily traveled in the country and if you find a place for less than $900K, you'll be driving on it. I've been rear-ended 4 times on I-880 in 10 years and my insurance man tells me I have better luck than most. I-680 is slightly better but it too can test the limits of your patience and resolve. The 101 is a mess from Santa Rosa all the way to LA.

Some folks say the weather is perfect. My guess is they are new arrivals and don't realize we're in a drought (sp?). The Bay area is at the bottom end of the Pacific Northwest. Normally we have two seasons, Hot/dry/ and cold/wet. There are a lot of Brits living in this area and the weather reminds them very much of home. It doesn't actually rain, it drizzles almost constantly for 3 or 4 months. Except in Pacifica and San Francisco itself, summers can be brutal. It may not rain for 6 or 7 months. It gets tough to breathe. Livermore hit 118 F this summer. It's usually pleasant right on the coast but inland gets really hot. It's dry hot so your AC will work well. Weather in this area is entirely different from The east coast. We have typical Pacific Northwest weather patterns. It rains all winter and it doesn't rain in the summer. We don't have autumn or spring. It's either hot or wet. The beaches are great but like any other beach, the rents are high. This isn't LA, the water is cold. The water in VA isn't tropical warm but it's much warmer than here. The SF Bay is only about 100 feet at it's deepest spot so though still quite cool it warms up a bit more in certain areas.

I'm not saying the Bay Area isn't a great place to live but it's very different from the East coast and nothing at all like LA. Many new arrivals view California as some 1960's Beach party movie and can be very disappointed. This isn't it. LA is closer but still way off. This area is Northern Californian and bears no resemblence to Southern California in climate or personality.

No matter where you work, I'd recommend you live in the same city since commuting expenses will offset any savings you may have from living further out. Fuel in the Bay Area is the most expensive in the US. It's a lot cheaper than the UK but the distances we must cover are much greater and you'll burn through it fast. Unless you live in SF, you need a car. Outside of SF, mass transit is a joke. That's a huge consideration. The east coast has a much more well developed infrastructure than anything in the west. Without a car, you're hosed. Unless you happen to live on a BART line, getting to SF is tough. The busses will get you there eventually but most people like to take time to sleep occasionally. Taking a nap on the bus probably isn't a good idea.

Wages are higher here than in most of the US but the cost of housing is unreal and wages didn't rise nearly as fast or as high as expenses. Back in the '80s it was great. Prices were a little bit higher than other places but wages were a LOT higher. Not so any more. Depending on what your needs are, I feel that your standard of living will be higher on the East coast.

Now, if you're into skiing, whitewater kayaking or surfing, This is the place to be. If you're a motorcyclist who enjoys canyon carving, this is the best in the US. Ca is the only state that allows lane splitting so many European Motorcyclists like this area. If you split anywhere else, people will open their car doors on you for a laugh. An out of state driver was surprised a few years ago when he was charged with attempted manslaughter after opening his door and injuring a motorcyclist. Also, we don't have many of the cool bikes available in Europe. The list gets even smaller in CA since a few bikes available in the other 49 can't be licensed in CA due to emission laws. Don't try the trick of buying a new car or bike out of state at a much lower price. It has to have a certain number of miles to be licensed here if it's not a CA car. CA is quite adept at collecting it's various taxes. Used cars can be a crap-shoot. It must pass a smog test to get tags. We've got the toughest emissions laws in the country and the tests for LA and the Bay Area are tougher yet. There is no waiver or expense limit any more. You make it pass no matter the cost or you don't drive it. For some odd reason, we don't have a safety inspection. If it's got bald tires and bad brakes but passes smog, you're golden! Go figure.

There's a lot a great things here but unless you're really making great money I think there are many other places you might want to take a look at.

Come visit. You'll like it or you won't.
Good Luck.

If there is a comparison between Va Beach(or HR overall) and any West Coast city, that city would and should be San Diego, not SF.

SD and HR have a lot more in common, imo of what there is in common. Perhaps weatherwise it might have a little more in common with the Bay area due to being a more MidAtlantic location and nearer in latitude to SF, but that's about it. HR could be changing though in terms of being a next new hot spot market for developers to invest. Absolutely no hills though, the terrain is flat, but structures could be built to be similar in architectural type of SF. But I think VB itself has its own unique architecture so does the region as does Downtown Norfolk's skyline and other structures in neighboring cities. HR has a orientation to a white crushed stone type look and metallic colors that are quite attractive in its larger structures. (SF's are attractive and bright and unique in their design and colors as well).

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 12-09-2007 at 11:44 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM

26 posts, read 151,605 times
Default I Have Lived In Both Places

I currently live in Chesapeake, VA and lived in the central coast of CA (Monterey and worked in Morgan Hill and visited SF once a month or more). I also grew up in the midwest. It is my opinion that each area appeals to a different type of person. San Fran is better for a more liberal, open minded person that values different cultures, attitudes, and a big city feel (and food!!). VA Beach appeals to a more conservative person (Pat Robertson is headquarted here), that values a more small town atmosphere. Again, this is only opinion, but here are some pros and cons for each place:

SF
Pros:
-culture, world class restaurants, art
-mountains, ocean
-great tourist destinations nearby: Napa/Sonoma, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Tahoe, Yosemite
-awesome outdoor activities (hiking, surfing, kayaking,etc.)
-sunsets
-moderate weather
-microclimates all around (drive 1/2 hour and be able to get sun or snowski)
-extremely beautiful!!!

Cons:
-breath-takingly expensive
-Oakland is a armpit
-parking not fun if you are in the city
-water is too cold to swim without a wetsuit
-car registration is ridiculous
-never hot or warm in the evening
-morning fog makes it cool

VA Beach
Pros:
-sunrises
-ocean (mountains are a days drive away, smaller than SF)
-water is warm enough to swim in summer (Sandbridge has great beaches!)
-historical places to visit (DC, Williamburg, Jamestown)
-relatively cheap (housing is still too expensive for the place in my opinion)

Cons:
-No downtown charm (Ghent in Norfolk is the closest you get), one big suburb
-Good restaurants few and far between (think deep fried, fatty chain restaurants)
-limited culture
-job scene is limited

Virginia Beach and surrounding areas do have a very strong military presence, but you don't see any uniformed guys with guns running around! But it is pretty conservative, white bread kind of place. And you are in the south (but that's another post). Feel to send me a post if you have questions.

BTW--my husband and I have made quite a few friends that are from the UK and have lived in many places across the US. The majority LOVE Chicago (as do I) and have settled there. Lots of great things about that place except for the EXTREME cold in the winter!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,849 times
I loved Chicago too, but the weather is bad. We all complain there is no culture here, but whenever I go to a play or concert or art museum there are not many people there. I find it a beer and loud voices kind of social scene. I miss the West, but I really miss the UK/Irish culture of pubs and locals. There is some of that still in SF last I was there. If I had a home and a job and I was in SF, I would probably stay, but if you are fighting rent and/or long commutes, maybe you would like it here, but it is a completely different world.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygirl View Post
I currently live in Chesapeake, VA and lived in the central coast of CA (Monterey and worked in Morgan Hill and visited SF once a month or more). I also grew up in the midwest. It is my opinion that each area appeals to a different type of person. San Fran is better for a more liberal, open minded person that values different cultures, attitudes, and a big city feel (and food!!). VA Beach appeals to a more conservative person (Pat Robertson is headquarted here), that values a more small town atmosphere. Again, this is only opinion, but here are some pros and cons for each place:

SF
Pros:
-culture, world class restaurants, art
-mountains, ocean
-great tourist destinations nearby: Napa/Sonoma, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Tahoe, Yosemite
-awesome outdoor activities (hiking, surfing, kayaking,etc.)
-sunsets
-moderate weather
-microclimates all around (drive 1/2 hour and be able to get sun or snowski)
-extremely beautiful!!!

Cons:
-breath-takingly expensive
-Oakland is a armpit
-parking not fun if you are in the city
-water is too cold to swim without a wetsuit
-car registration is ridiculous
-never hot or warm in the evening
-morning fog makes it cool

VA Beach
Pros:
-sunrises
-ocean (mountains are a days drive away, smaller than SF)
-water is warm enough to swim in summer (Sandbridge has great beaches!)
-historical places to visit (DC, Williamburg, Jamestown)
-relatively cheap (housing is still too expensive for the place in my opinion)

Cons:
-No downtown charm (Ghent in Norfolk is the closest you get), one big suburb
-Good restaurants few and far between (think deep fried, fatty chain restaurants)
-limited culture
-job scene is limited

Virginia Beach and surrounding areas do have a very strong military presence, but you don't see any uniformed guys with guns running around! But it is pretty conservative, white bread kind of place. And you are in the south (but that's another post). Feel to send me a post if you have questions.

BTW--my husband and I have made quite a few friends that are from the UK and have lived in many places across the US. The majority LOVE Chicago (as do I) and have settled there. Lots of great things about that place except for the EXTREME cold in the winter!

I agree it appeals to a more conservative type person. It's officially got "family" stamped all over it for orientation. However, there are many parts to it. I don't know if we're talking about just VB or all HR.

It depends on which city one lives in. Pat Robertson might be there, but there are too many other components in VB alone to make the kind of impact he would on the airwaves in other places.

Norfolk and other places, the Oceanfront were always considered rather bawdy for the rest of the state.

VB has for quite a while now turned into a rather than just a Family Channel Pat Robertson type town, which his center is actually located so close to Chesapeake away from the Beachfront areas, IIIRC, VB is has other spiritual draws. It's become quite a mecca for mystic or New Age type settlers. The Edgar Cayce Foundation's hdqtrs and its A.R.E. Assn for Research and Englightenment. He had quite a lot of followers who end up there. Many drawn by his apparent famous myths. One being the sands of VB contain a type of element that's rare with healing capabilities and many have settled in the area for spiritual healing. By and large it's very oriented to the physical typical beach culture, pleasures, and very visceratonic as well as hedonistic despite any Robertson influence. Too many nightclubs!

As the Gulf Stream ends there it's warming ends and might provide an unusual mix of soil, water, salt, and sun that could make it somewhat unique. I know it does have a lot of meditators, transcendentalists, yoga, and other pursuers, holistics, rolfers, etc.

He also maintained VB along its coast was one of the major light centers of the world, whatever that means. Apparently to rejuvenate and many have gone their for such things. The mytics claim they often have prevented head on collisions with hurricanes. LOL

There are even large numbers of occult type followers as well, so it isn't just a haven for Christian beliefs but also many pagan and even more extreme. But by and large all benign, and the city enjoys a very low crime rate for its size of over 450K. VB can be a very interesting places once you get to know it, many people have a hard time finding their way around it and getting to know its many sections.

What is best for newcomers is look at the area as many always have done, it's good to spend a number of months out the year but not year round necessarily. But HR overall has a relaxing effect on weekends.

It's quite well connected to the NE too, by way of the Rt 13 Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel thru to MD,DEl, NJ, and NY and one can avoid the crunches around DC etc. That's the route many take from NY and Phil, Boston to HR especially Virginia Beach.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I loved Chicago too, but the weather is bad. We all complain there is no culture here, but whenever I go to a play or concert or art museum there are not many people there. I find it a beer and loud voices kind of social scene. I miss the West, but I really miss the UK/Irish culture of pubs and locals. There is some of that still in SF last I was there. If I had a home and a job and I was in SF, I would probably stay, but if you are fighting rent and/or long commutes, maybe you would like it here, but it is a completely different world.

Don't know where exactly you are residing in HR, but it is different isn't it? It has some uniquenesses.
I know I stayed in Chicago for a while years ago and couldn't take but 1 winter. The Lake Effects are not pleasant.

What's good for people from up North in the East is to be able to get to the VB area via the CBBT rt 13 from the Eastern Shore DelMarVA peninsula. I think VB has it's biggest seasons during the offseason surprisingly.

You're not condemned to the HRBT there to go north and south.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I think most of the citiies there now are working to concentrate such activities rather than succumb to the sprawl that tends to spread things so thin. There are quite a few new performing arts centers about to open I read. One good thing people have done is to join the cultural groups, there are many, and go that way.

The general area seems to be changing from the past, but you're right, people will complain then don't show up. It's there own fault but there are theaters.

The area is for the most part somehow a year round haven for the sportsman and woman, very nautical.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,849 times
Since we have decided to try to permanently settle here, we are very interested in meeting other people who are interested in going to plays, musical events, having a bit of craic and maybe even a day fishing on the beach or wherever. My husband misses his local in Dublin and we are in search of that type of thing here.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Since we have decided to try to permanently settle here, we are very interested in meeting other people who are interested in going to plays, musical events, having a bit of craic and maybe even a day fishing on the beach or wherever. My husband misses his local in Dublin and we are in search of that type of thing here.

Don't know how long you been there but check out some of the many social or artsy and event pamphlets and fliers that are circulated on newstands and various places. There's bound to be some you're looking for. It's too large and spread, got to get to know it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area