Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

98 posts, read 784,753 times

Advertisements

Lethal, I have missed you!!! Good to see you back!!!!
Just when I want to embrace HR, reality sets in about housing and lack of young people, conservative social views, etc. You make interesting points and perhaps unpopular with some, I certainly enjoy reading them. I'm trying to like this area, really...but the one thing that bothers me is the cost of housing.

Re :housing.......We are currently looking for a house here having come from a much more affordable area- St. Louis. We sold a beautiful 2300 sq ft home that was 4 yrs old........for 219,000 (a loss of 15,000 from what we paid in 04). Now I am supposed to pay 400,000 Plus for some outdated 1800 sq foot ranch in VB? Ikes! Luckily we rent a cute house in a great area for less than our previous mortgage. (We are not military but I hope like many military families we get to leave in a few years!!!)

Lethal, thanks for keeping in real!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

201 posts, read 906,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stltova View Post
Lethal, I have missed you!!! Good to see you back!!!!
Just when I want to embrace HR, reality sets in about housing and lack of young people, conservative social views, etc. You make interesting points and perhaps unpopular with some, I certainly enjoy reading them. I'm trying to like this area, really...but the one thing that bothers me is the cost of housing.

Re :housing.......We are currently looking for a house here having come from a much more affordable area- St. Louis. We sold a beautiful 2300 sq ft home that was 4 yrs old........for 219,000 (a loss of 15,000 from what we paid in 04). Now I am supposed to pay 400,000 Plus for some outdated 1800 sq foot ranch in VB? Ikes! Luckily we rent a cute house in a great area for less than our previous mortgage. (We are not military but I hope like many military families we get to leave in a few years!!!)

Lethal, thanks for keeping in real!!!

No problem. Ive lived here 98% of my life, so Ive had about 22 years of Hampton Roads under my belt. I know many people who live here have a "see no evil" attitude about the place, but this is reality. Im not going to sugar coat anything, even if some other residents dont like it.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 117,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
No problem. Ive lived here 98% of my life, so Ive had about 22 years of Hampton Roads under my belt. I know many people who live here have a "see no evil" attitude about the place, but this is reality. Im not going to sugar coat anything, even if some other residents dont like it.
I appreciate that!!! I just want to know the truth about the area. Here in Big Spring, TX there is no middle age bracket. Once a kid graduates high school they get out. Most of the population here is over 50. I know what that is like. But there is nothing in this town to brag about at all; all we have is a Wal-Mart and a bunch of fast food places. Most of the tax dollars go to Midland which is 40 miles to the west. I know about living in the middle of nowhere; so as far as that goes, Hampton Roads can't be worse than that. I am looking for something that is between the ultra conservative of here and the extreme liberal of Boulder, CO. I want a happy medium.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 AM

201 posts, read 906,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msween2007 View Post
I appreciate that!!! I just want to know the truth about the area. Here in Big Spring, TX there is no middle age bracket. Once a kid graduates high school they get out. Most of the population here is over 50. I know what that is like. But there is nothing in this town to brag about at all; all we have is a Wal-Mart and a bunch of fast food places. Most of the tax dollars go to Midland which is 40 miles to the west. I know about living in the middle of nowhere; so as far as that goes, Hampton Roads can't be worse than that. I am looking for something that is between the ultra conservative of here and the extreme liberal of Boulder, CO. I want a happy medium.

Have you ever looked at the Charlotte, NC or Raleigh, NC areas?

By the way, there is nothing much more then fast food places and a couple walmarts here! This whole area is built up around the service sector. There is a 7-11 on every corner, and a Walmart every 5 miles.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,601,165 times
The sales volume is down about 20 percent from the 2005 peak. The overall median and average price figure is flat with 2005 but that could be a result of the higher priced homes continuing to sell while the mid-range homes do poorly. Have been seeing this statistical distortion in most markets. Here's the VA realtor statistical site where you can do more mining for data.

Virginia Home Sales (http://www.varealtor.com/Research/VirginiaHomeSales/tabid/228/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 07:44 AM

47 posts, read 198,269 times
We are possibily moving to the VA Beach area in about 6 months. I've been looking at homes online. I'd like to see the actual selling prices of recent homes rather than the listing prices. We just sold a home in Hawaii and had to take $55K less than our asking price and about $100K less than the "value" of the home just to be done with it (we pocketed very, very little). It was on the market for 6 months and a year ago the homes there weren't on the market for more than a month in our same neighborhood. We were in an community that wasn't even completely built up yet and our home was less than 10 years old

Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM

486 posts, read 1,950,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwife87 View Post
We are possibily moving to the VA Beach area in about 6 months. I've been looking at homes online. I'd like to see the actual selling prices of recent homes rather than the listing prices. We just sold a home in Hawaii and had to take $55K less than our asking price and about $100K less than the "value" of the home just to be done with it (we pocketed very, very little). It was on the market for 6 months and a year ago the homes there weren't on the market for more than a month in our same neighborhood. We were in an community that wasn't even completely built up yet and our home was less than 10 years old
The people here are in the same boat, but not to the same extreme as Hawaii. I suggest getting with a realtor who can send you the sold price of homes as they close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area