Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times

Advertisements

Hi Chicago, glad you found our fair city when you were googling. The area you have seen homes of interest is in the 23456 zip code. One of the most wealthy zip codes in the area, with some of the most sought after schools. Very easy access to just about anything, but out of the hubbub. I live in this zip code and know a lot about it. You are 10 to 15 minutes to the beach and all it has to offer. About 10 to 15 minutes to the new downtown area and all it has to offer. You are about 20 minutes to downtown Norfolk and all it has to offer. A great place to raise kids, in my humble opinion.. as I am doing it right now.

The schools in Virginia Beach rate very well in all the school sites. check out greatschools.com, schooldigger.com, and any others. Va. Beach has a great gifted program and also the high schools have center based learnings that your kids can apply for, for instance PA High School has a baccaularette program.... Also, all around Va. Beach we have recreation centers that you can join as a resident for $55 a year per person. The rec center nearest those homes is the Princess Anne Rec Center with a pool and more, you can google Virginia Beach Recreation Centers and read all about what they offer.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM

98 posts, read 784,339 times
I too moved from the Midwest last Feb, been here almost a year! We moved from St. Louis. First we lived in Chespeake in temp housing that my husband's company provided for us. Once it was time to get out of there, we decided on Virginia Beach. And we LOVE IT HERE!!! It's so much better here than Chesapeake. We live in Great Neck (zip 23454) and it's great. Little Neck is also nice and convenient/safe/good schools.

Chesapeake is fine, don't get me wrong. We lived in Greenbrier when we were there and we thought it was pretty nice. I just like the schools better in VB, the selection of shopping and restaurants, and the BEACH!! We went every weekend this summer, on the warm days in the fall and even on Thanksgiving day!!!! If you like the beach, you WILL go...........and it doesn't hurt when you live just 5/10 minutes away!!!

Good luck with your house search!

Oh, it's taken me a long time to get used to no basements and storing all your stuff in a garage. I don't like it, but there is no other choice, really!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM

23 posts, read 59,410 times
I have lived in the Hampton Roads area for 18 yrs...with plenty of interaction in VA Beach. Straight up---the traffic is hell. Visit the place first. It is very congested and you need a lot of money to find a more private home. The military population there is HUGE--meaning TRAFFIC and congestion. Also a nightmare to get out of if there are tunnel problems---can't imagine a hurricane evacuation---NO WAY! The last hurricane was 3 or so yrs ago and indeed they do happen here. My vote for someone your age would be to hook up in WILLIAMSBURG---awesome shopping, restaurants, GREAT SCHOOLS, culture, nice churches, low crime.....such a nice place to come home to after work. Pleasantly affordable for your income level at this present buyers market---buy resale, as the new construction is still high priced. LOTS of new things going up there all the time to make the community amenities even better. Historic Willimasburg never gets old, great place to walk the dogs and kids. Check it out and good luck to you!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:15 AM

24 posts, read 209,993 times
Default Va. Beach info

I think that Virginia Beach is a wonderful place to raise a family. I grew up there, and there are so many wonderful restaurants, stores, and places to visit close by. The best school district is in the Great Neck area (Frank W. Cox High School). I think this is the ideal place to live in Va. Beach, too. You are a 5-10 minute drive to the beach, close to wonderful restaurants at the Oceanfront, Laskin Road area, and Great Neck road, as well as close to the main highway. There are also very nice stores, coffee shops, and an excellent grocery store, The Fresh Market, on Laskin Road. If you like health food stores, they have the Heritage Store on Laskin Road, as well. The neighborhoods are more expensive but very safe with big yards, nice landscaping, community pools, etc. You are very close to Seashore State Park, the North End beaches, which have more locals at them, as well as a quick drive to Croatan - another good beach not too far away. It is not too bad of a drive if you want to go into downtown Norfolk for restaurants or shows either. That way you get the nice suburban feel with great neighborhoods and very close to the beach. The weather is beautiful year-round, especially the fall and early summer. Late summer can be hot and humid, but much more tolerable than further south and the closer to the ocean that you, the better breeze you will have. I hope this information helps!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
The schools in are the only ones I will consider sending my son. I really like it here jet noise and all, and I think it is a great place to raise a family. We are minutes from tones of family friendly activities both indoors and out. We have great shopping, and I feel safe shopping at night. We also have a lot of collage graduates here. I'm not sure if it's more than most places but with so many collages and universities here it wouldn't surprise me if we are above the national average on number of collage grads.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 13,623 times
Default looking to move to va beach need help.....

I am a single dad raising 3 children 3,5, and 8.....I live in Syracuse ny where the economy is horrible and the weather is even worst and there is no culture here or anything to do for me or my kids....I wanna live somewhere where my kids can get a good public education and the weather is decent all year round....and not that far from ny to go and visit my family......I have never really been to Virginia but for some reason I have always just loved looking at pics of it..........I lived in Atlanta GA and Jacksonville fl but couldnt really adjust and the traffic was terrible.....Money is also a concern as well so I would be looking for a decent place to live maybe 800 or 900 a month for rent and I read some other email and i understand its kind of noisey in some parts.....I dont mind but I dont wanna hear jets all day long....any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM

126 posts, read 595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger p View Post
I am a single dad raising 3 children 3,5, and 8.....I live in Syracuse ny where the economy is horrible and the weather is even worst and there is no culture here or anything to do for me or my kids....I wanna live somewhere where my kids can get a good public education and the weather is decent all year round....and not that far from ny to go and visit my family......I have never really been to Virginia but for some reason I have always just loved looking at pics of it..........I lived in Atlanta GA and Jacksonville fl but couldnt really adjust and the traffic was terrible.....Money is also a concern as well so I would be looking for a decent place to live maybe 800 or 900 a month for rent and I read some other email and i understand its kind of noisey in some parts.....I dont mind but I dont wanna hear jets all day long....any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

Try Kings Grant Landing Apts. in Virginia Beach. Kids can walk to Kingston Elementary. It is the only apt. complex that I know of that feeds into Kingston.

Mod: no affiliation, not an ad. I grew up across the lake from there and it is a great VB location.

-Mark

Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Roger,
The economy here is not great, but this is a working middle class area and that means jobs for the average American. The weather would definitely be better - yesterday it was almost 60, but the temps will be dropping today. Of course the summer is the same all up and down the coast - hot and muggy.
I do think this area has alot to offer as far as history, cultural activities and fun. Granted, we are not NY city, but for a midsize area we do just fine.
You should be fine on your $$ constraints - the cost of living is lower than the big city, but probably in line with Syracuse.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 22,555 times
I don't have any advice for you about VA Beach since I am leaving San Diego to move there myself, but have you looked at San Diego? It is PERFECT weather and a great place to raise a family! We've loved it here. Unfortunately, the military is moving us! I would stay here forever. I grew up in Memphis, TN and hate humid summers! I'm hoping VA Beach won't be so bad!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times
Va Beach can be quite humid but not quite as bad as further inland since we are right on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area