Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM

43 posts, read 102,459 times

Advertisements

Moving to VA Beach in about a month now! My girlfriends cell phone plan expires shortly after and trying to find what some of the top cell phone carriers are down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Here is your last thread on the subject in case you couldn't find it //www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...ll-phones.html

If you have At&t, and want free mobile-to-mobile calling to her, that works fine. Verizon seems to be the most popular followed closely by Sprint judging by people I know. T-Mobile is also in the area. nTelos is another provider with good plans, but they're more of a regional than a national carrier. Alltel is also here for now, but they're merging with Verizon.

There's really a ton of cell towers and densely populated areas here so you shouldn't have too much trouble with anybody. Each provider may have little trouble spots here and there, but they all seem to do a good job.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Verizon has acquired Altel, so it seems to be the best bet on services. I don't pay for my phone, but we have a family plan on our private cell and it works out great for us.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 95,044 times
I've had Alltel now for 5 years. I hardly EVER lose service except when I'm traveling through the woods of North Carolina and that last briefly. I've never had any complaints or problems with them. And yes, they are merging with Verizon.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
If you want to get more bang for your buck, you can try some of the regional carriers. Ntelos to name one of them. My cousin has it, and she gets unlimited everything for $39.99. Which is great if you plan on just using your phone regionally.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

43 posts, read 102,459 times
we would need something national to still talk to family here in Michigan

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
The nTelos unlimited plan for $39 also charges extra for long-distance and roaming, so that would probably not be a good option for you. They do have some plans where there's no roaming or long-distance charges anywhere in America (they roam free on Sprint outside of Virginia), but I would still avoid them in your situation because if you go back to Michigan and have phone troubles, there won't be a local store or much help they can provide.

When you get here, you might want to see if you can still get an alltel plan with My Circle. You'll have the coverage of Alltel and Verizon's combined networks, and you'll have a great plan where you can choose your own circle of numbers to call unlimited. They should honor that plan at least until your contract runs out. I use to have alltel and agree their network was great around here. I'm on Sprint now (just wanted to try something new), and their network is very good too, but I roam on alltel in more rural parts of Virginia and North Carolina that Sprint doesn't serve.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
Do NOT deal with nTelos. I had that bunch before I left WV and they layed the screws to me. Not only did they tell me I was on a 2 year contract, after I bought the phone outright, they double-charged me for my last bill, tried to keep my phone number, and then keep trying to charge me, even after it was cancled. Took a lawyer, 4 months of non-stop calling, and coutless copies of my contract and related documents before these people even began to believe that they might just be a little wrong. If cellphone companys were cartoon characters, this bunch would be Peter Griffen from Family guy. OH! And another thing, their unlimited plan isn't unlimited. The bulk of your calls have to be made within your home calling area AND they can penilize you for not calling enough. I know, it sounded stupid to me too, but I swear to you that is what they told me. Apperntly, the month I spent with my parents, where there is no such thing as a cell tower, costed me an extra 100 dollars on my bill. Ether someone BSed me and took my money, or their India helpdesk got their scripts mixed up. Eather way, I was out 100 dollars and it was over nothing.

Now, if you need an unlimited plan for data/cell/message I would go for Sprint. They get good coverage, have decent phones, and the price you pay is $99 dollars a month. If you want a cooler phone or something fancy but not business, ATT has nice phones, 99 dollars a month for unlimited phone, and between 10 and 30 dollars a month for internet. Also, their unlimited messaging is $10 dollars a month or 200 messages a month if you get a data plan. *I believe mine is 200 a month with my unlimited data plan, but I'm not sure if it stays at 200 if you go for a cheaper data plan. :/*

Personally, I suggest you just get Sprint unlimited, if you need that kind of plan, and stick with them until the company tanks or releases the Palm Pre and becomes bigger than ATT. Stay away from nTelos at all cost. It's prom night and nTelos is your date, but she has mono. Dun dun dunnnnnnn

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I have alltel. Love it!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
Tmobile is good. I have it. It's coverage may not be as good as Verizon or Sprint, but I've rarely if at all have dropped calls or no signal. And Tmobile plans are cheaper too.

I had Sprint, it was back when it was Sprint PCS and before it merged with Nextel. My mom has it now, and the coverage is pretty good too. But they have some expensive plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area