Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM

239 posts, read 633,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda54 View Post
What is life like living in a military town and not being apart of the military?
It isn't like you are a total outsider, just depends on where you go and what age group you are in. For example, if you go to a bar or club then you will be completely surrounded by military guys. If you go to a grocery store in Chesapeake, not so much. Even though only 10-15% of the population may be active military, you have to account for their wives/husbands, children, retired military, family members of military, etc.

No matter how you look at it, this is a military town. It would be kind of like living in West Texas and not liking high school football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM

63 posts, read 184,406 times
Default Living in a Military Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda54 View Post
What is life like living in a military town and not being apart of the military?

Hey, I know this post is way late, but I found your question interesting. My opinion is that "this" military town is not so great. I lived in Texas for 6 years and really enjoyed it... came across many military folks and they were very kind and gracious. Here (South Hampton Roads)? Not so much... perhaps it is something else that makes people not so genuinely kind here... but whatever it is, I'd keep my distance if I were you. lol

Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 PM

119 posts, read 344,027 times
The only things I can think of .....

-lots of jet noise
-If you are a guy looking for a date you have a lot of competition, if your a female you will have a lot of options
- A lot of people grew up in another state
-You will become close with a friend or co-worker and then find out they have to move to another state

You will feel the military presence here, but its not like they walk around with their chest out and demand everyone to bow down.

BTW, salute to all active, retired, reserved military

Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
I have found it depends on where you came from and what you are searching for.

Are you accustomed to the east coast or southern culture? Do you love the ocean/beaches? Trees, you must like trees. And sweet tea...??? lol

Seems like many like it here if they enjoy the east coast, others who are from mid-west and west not so much, and west coast seems to be a mix. I am used to military towns and this area seems quite different than the others I have been to.

I would venture to say read the local newspapers and see what is going on, what is our news talking about? This will give you an idea of how much crime or lack thereof, politics/or lack thereof, excellence/humanity, etc going on in our area.
I have found that reading the local newspaper is also what the locals are talking about.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM

144 posts, read 419,747 times
I am curious about the dating scene as I keep reading the area consists of an abundance of single men due to the military presence. Is a certain age group more affected by the abundance of men in HR? Like women age 18-32 have their pick of the bunch but women age 33+ not so much. Can someone clarify this for me, please? Thanks so much!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
I dont think Norfolk or Hampton Roads as a whole is small enough to be alienated if you are not military. I went to college there and though everyone knew someone in the military, everyone was not IN the military. I found the quality of living not drastically different then anywhere else. I just had to be cautious of the woman I spoke to. Those military wives don't always wear their wedding rings when socializing (waves finger like a 5th grade teacher).

Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM

119 posts, read 344,027 times
@Nikki75. Speaking from a guy's perspective it seems any single woman age 18 -32 or 33+ should have good luck dating in HR. I say this because when I go out, I notice females will walk into a bar/club/restaurant in packs of 2 or 3's but guys will roll in 5+ deep. Basically, if you are a guy living here, you have to make moves fast ! and females probably can pick from a basket.

I'm 30 myself and recently went single status. Most of the women I've been meeting lately are bad leftovers, bitter, married (lots of wifes here forget their rings) and/or confused about their sexuality(not in a good way ) which leaves just a few good ones left over. I assume that applies to both sexes.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 AM

144 posts, read 419,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
@Nikki75. Speaking from a guy's perspective it seems any single woman age 18 -32 or 33+ should have good luck dating in HR. I say this because when I go out, I notice females will walk into a bar/club/restaurant in packs of 2 or 3's but guys will roll in 5+ deep. Basically, if you are a guy living here, you have to make moves fast ! and females probably can pick from a basket.

I'm 30 myself and recently went single status. Most of the women I've been meeting lately are bad leftovers, bitter, married (lots of wifes here forget their rings) and/or confused about their sexuality(not in a good way ) which leaves just a few good ones left over. I assume that applies to both sexes.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I just thought maybe there was a contrast. Like maybe the men having a tougher time dating in HR were 30 and under which meant the women pursued were 18-32.

A lot of younger people are open to national/international "dating" thanks to all of the social websites and are more comfortable getting to know strangers they may never meet and labeling them "friends" and "significant others". Many pretty much get away from the "in person" quality time of meeting, dating, and relating. Personal opinion of course.

I wouldn't want the "HR well" to run dry but it does seem like some of the women might be taking the bountifulness for granted. I miss living in a bigger city because I never had to wait out marriages and relationships (just kidding).

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 AM

40 posts, read 118,024 times
Default and WHAT'S wrong with Watts?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Well, if that's the case then some mods are really falling down on the job because I've seen negative opinions on places besides the HR forum.

It would be complete disaster to everyone if only the good was stated. People would be packing up the family minivan and moving to Watts.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 AM

359 posts, read 759,230 times
I am really tired of living here and having to fend off all these lusty young women.

I'M KIDDING! Kidding! There ARE no single women here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area