Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times

Advertisements

My family currently lives in Ashburn in Loudoun County, VA (immediately NW of Fairfax). We love it here -- we like the safety, prosperity, family-friendliness, high educational levels of our neighbors and friends of diverse ethnic backgrounds (quite a few of who also happen to share similar social and religious values -- we are traditional Catholics who plan to homeschool our kids), etc.

Some people say that Ashburn is Stepfords in real life (such commentators seem to fixate on the nice lawns, clean houses, etc.) although that description is unfair given the ethnic diversity of the area -- if there is a common thread here, it's the family-orientation.

But there is an excellent work opportunity in Hampton Roads that has presented itself unexpectedly, i.e. substantial increase in income and decrease in work hours. More money is nice, of course, and fewer work hours mean more time with the spouse and the little ones.

We don't know much about the Hampton Roads area, however, other than it being a historic coastal area with many military facilities and related industries. Given the parameters above, would we like living there? Would we be able to find an area similar to Ashburn in Hampton Roads?

The area seems to have a reputation for bawdy bar scenes, racial tension and relatively high rate of crime, but I am sure that is a stereotype and does not reflect the variety of areas that exist in such a wide region.

I would appreciate any considered suggestions and tips. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
My family currently lives in Ashburn in Loudoun County, VA (immediately NW of Fairfax). We love it here -- we like the safety, prosperity, family-friendliness, high educational levels of our neighbors and friends of diverse ethnic backgrounds (quite a few of who also happen to share similar social and religious values -- we are traditional Catholics who plan to homeschool our kids), etc.

Some people say that Ashburn is Stepfords in real life (such commentators seem to fixate on the nice lawns, clean houses, etc.) although that description is unfair given the ethnic diversity of the area -- if there is a common thread here, it's the family-orientation.

But there is an excellent work opportunity in Hampton Roads that has presented itself unexpectedly, i.e. substantial increase in income and decrease in work hours. More money is nice, of course, and fewer work hours mean more time with the spouse and the little ones.

We don't know much about the Hampton Roads area, however, other than it being a historic coastal area with many military facilities and related industries. Given the parameters above, would we like living there? Would we be able to find an area similar to Ashburn in Hampton Roads?

The area seems to have a reputation for bawdy bar scenes, racial tension and relatively high rate of crime, but I am sure that is a stereotype and does not reflect the variety of areas that exist in such a wide region.

I would appreciate any considered suggestions and tips. Thank you.
I'm a Hampton Roads native who just recently escaped NoVA. Personally, I think Hampton Roads definitely different than NoVA. Not as much (but still some) racial diversity. Not as many people have advanced degrees, which doesn't mean they are stupid like most people in NoVA think of Hampton Roads. Hampton Roads is pretty conversative, of course with the AA population may go blue sometimes. Hampton Roads isn't rich, I'd say more solidly middle-class.

On the negative stereotypes, Hampton Roads is no more racist than other places i've been. It is a military area which usually means racism is less than other areas (I live near Ft. Knox, KY now and am seeing this at work and I'm black.) Personally, I felt safer living in Hampton Roads (Hampton and York County) than I did in NoVA (Alexandria City.)

The most similar areas to Loudoun County are Chesapeake and Virginia Beach if you are going to be working on the Southside and York County if you work on the Peninsula.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM

61 posts, read 155,579 times
I live in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake. This would be a dull area for single people, but it is great for families-----large lots, low crime, highly rated public schools---should you want them at a later date, and very little traffic compared to other area. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of ethnic diversity.
My children enjoy the public schools, but I have met many homeschooling parents. The YMCA, public library, Nauticus, VA Beach Aquarium, Chrysler Art Museum etc.. run programs for children and sometimes programs specifically for home schoolers. I have been impressed with the high quality, free, fun and intellectual programs for children, especially if you are willing to travel 30 minutes to explore different areas--- ex. Hampton's NASA Center.
I hope that you will like it here. My family has traveled a lot, and we have found this area very friendly. I have met lots of Catholics here too.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
I am VERY familiar with Ashburn - I moved to Hampton Roads 6 years ago, but born and raised in NoVa with my last 10 years in Centreville (and I worked in Loudoun).

You can find a similar Ashburn type area here but they are very few and far between. The very first place that came to mind is Isle of Wight - Eagle Harbor area. Then there is an area of Va Beach on the way to Sandbridge with shades of the same thing - all new developments, new shopping etc.

Other than that, you will not find it. The similar areas here are much smaller in scale, more of a small neighborhood community.

With that said, the pluses to living here are definitely HUGE compared to Nova. Cost of living?? Good grief, so much cheaper that I cannot even compare it. A better job opportunity (compared to Nova) will put you in a fabulous home, many activities, milder weather and much less stress due to traffic and quality of life.

Living in Ashburn gives you access to everything you could ever want.... for a price - if cost or travel time are not a concern. We have everything down here, but you may have to travel a distance for it, but traffic is not usually a big issue. OF course tunnel traffic CAN be a problem at any time, but we are just careful about that.

Diversity here is NOTHING like in Nova. Every nationality is represented up there, and it is just not like that here. Not bad or good, just different.

Schools not as great as Nova, however... things like gangs, drugs (are not as HUGE as Nova). We DO have them here, but not on the same scale and you would be educated on neighborhoods before you purchased so that is probably not a concern. Problem in Nova is that you have those things in the great schools too.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the useful replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
You can find a similar Ashburn type area here but they are very few and far between. The very first place that came to mind is Isle of Wight - Eagle Harbor area. Then there is an area of Va Beach on the way to Sandbridge with shades of the same thing - all new developments, new shopping etc.
I did a quick check of the realtor.com and found what seemed like an area similar to Ashburn -- it was called Carrollton. I think that IS in Isle of Wight county!

How realistic would it be to live there and commute across James River bridge? Work will be around Newport News.

School quality is not of immediate concern to us -- we intend to homeschool our children. So a good network of fellow, preferably traditional Catholic, homeschoolers would be more useful. Of course, public school quality does say quite a few things about a given area and its inhabitants, and is thus a factor in our decision.

What is crime like in the area? My family is used to the somewhat Eloi-like existence of safety and abundance of Ashburn. And I would like to keep things that way at least for a while until the little ones are old enough for grittier aspects of life (I grew up in megacities with much violent crime).

Also, what is dining like in the area? My family loves to eat ethnic foods of all kinds (Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Burmese, Moroccan, Persian, Japanese, Korean, Peruvian etc.).

Someone described the area as very conservative. Is that actually the case? I hear a lot news about leftist wackiness of Hampton Roads. To capture a slice of what we are used to in Loudoun County, *the Democrats* currently in charge here welcomed and approved a gun range a couple of years ago -- in fact a Democrat supervisor was even a bit sad that the range was country clubby and not affordable enough FOR HIM to go shooting after work! Then the other supervisors (mostly Democrats) agreed that this just means there is an opening for another, more affordable gun range! The area is very business-friendly, to say the least.

Lastly, are mosquitos really as big there as some say? Are there big rodents?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM

140 posts, read 540,723 times
Yes, Carrollton is in Isle of Wight County. The commute across the James River Bridge is not bad at all. While it is a drawbridge, it doesn't lift all that often and most lifts are scheduled and announced. Depending on where in Newport News you will be working, it could be very close. There aren't that many varied food choices out that way, but you do have good access to Hampton and Newport News. I know of a great Tai/Japanese restaurant in Newport News, which is located in Port Warwick, and they are opening another store in the new shopping area in Hampton.

As another poster mentioned, York County may also be worth looking into as well. It will also provide good access to Newport News.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Carrollton/Isle of Wight is a definite possibility. I am going to check it out.

How about York County area, specifically south of Seaford along Grafton and Dare Road?

Also, what about Kingsmill River area/James City County (south of Williamsburg)? That appears to be about 30 minutes away from the potential work site in Newport News, which would be the possible maximum northerly limit of commute time for me.

One more thing: how is the traffic on I-64 or V-60 between Williamsburg and Newport News?

Last edited by IndiaLimaDelta; 05-19-2010 at 11:41 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM

One more thing: what is ethnic dining like in these areas? My family eats out a lot as I mentioned before -- we live to eat, not eat to live! (But we're not fat -- we are very fitness-conscious.)

Are there authentic (and good) Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Middle Eastern restaurants in the area? If I couldn't get good Pad Thai made with tamarind sauce (not that yucky red paste made with tomato paste), Korean BBQ or lamb Kebobs, it might be a deal-killer.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
Keep Isle of Wight as your very first choice. York County and Williamsburg are really not as convenient. Plus, York County is pretty removed from the rest of Hampton Roads. Living in Isle of Wight will put you more front and center to activities in all of Hampton Roads. Traveling to and from work in Newport News will be much easier - even over the bridge.

Crime in Isle of Wight is practically nil. The area is still relatively rural and you will not find cookie cutter subdivision after subdivision. Still tons of open space with farms in between housing developments. Very different than Ashburn in that sense, but the individual communities are similar.

This area is definitely lacking in ethnic cuisine . However, you will find places. The Ghent area of Norfolk is one location because it tends to be a more trendy area. Hampton Roads is just not as 'modern' as NoVa - but to me that is the appeal. Much more laid back, yet I have everything I really need.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM

140 posts, read 540,723 times
I'm not sure why you would say York County is not as convenient. Most of Newport News (~2/3) is bordered by York County, and if the job is in the northern section of Newport News, Williamsburg would be very close. Granted, if making frequent trips to the Southside, Williamsburg would be the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area