Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,347 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just got the call that I am getting an offer in Hummelstown with a bank. Here's the thing, I've never been, and I'm really kind of panicking.

I was wondering a few things, just about where to move. A little on me, I'm a young, single, Baptist, Conservative new graduate (BS in business). Don't like cities, used to live in a very rural community and loved it...

I don't want to commute more than 30 minutes, but I would like an apartment in a rural area, or else a very quiet suburban one. My budget is very low: $600. I realize I may need to compromise.

Second, are there alot of churches in the area? I'm Baptist, and my social life is kind of in the church.

Third, are there any more Conservative areas? I'm very Conservative myself, and wouldn't want to end up in a Liberal enclave where I would disagree with others too much.

Fourth, is the area safe? I went to Pheonixville, and it seemed really good, but is Harrisburg (and suburbs) a place where you can leave your doors unlocked (not that I do anymore)?

Thanks alot, and please make me less nervous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Hi all, I just got the call that I am getting an offer in Hummelstown with a bank. Here's the thing, I've never been, and I'm really kind of panicking.
Hi, and welcome to central PA!

I know next to nothing about rural apartments in the area, so I can only offer very general advice. Most of the garden style (similar to townhouses) apartment complexes around here are in suburban areas. There are a few that are truly rural, but for the most part, you're probably going to be looking at houses or houses that have been converted into apartment buildings. I would pick up a copy of the Patriot-News and browse the listings. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding something within 30 minutes of Hummelstown, though based on your description you probably want to focus on areas to the east and south.

$600 is a little on the low side, but I'm sure you will have several options.

I grew up in the back mountains of rural Pennsylvania, and we never ever left our doors unlocked when we left the house. I suppose it's a matter of perception, but I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked anywhere. A meth addict can break into a suburban (or rural) home just as easily as they can a city townhouse. I'm a big advocate of a healthy dose of common sense: Don't leave valuables in your car, don't make your property tempting for burglars, and don't wander around the bad part of town at 3am.

As far as political / idealogical leanings, Harrisburg proper is very liberal. With the exception of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, most of the rest of the state is somewhere between "moderate leaning to the right" and "Rush Limbaugh is a bleeding heart communist". I would think that the Hershey / Hummelstown / surrounding area would be particularly conservative, as you have a lot of old money floating around there.

Again, welcome to the area. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Hummelstown is where Newt Gingrich grew up, although you will find different opinions on the man himself most seem in general agreement with his politics.

The Borough of Hummelstown (roughly equivalent to a Village in NY State, and a small part of the area with a Hummelstown mailing address) should offer a number of rentals right in town, can check craigslist as well as classifieds | news.thesunontheweb.com | The Sun where it seems you might come close to your budget.

It is generally a church-going area so there are a number to choose from although I can't personally speak to your own faith tradition.

One thing to be aware of coming from upstate NY (I did a few years ago myself) is how close the houses are to each other and to the road - since you are priced below many of the more conventionally suburban-style complexes, it might be best to come and see this type of situation for yourself, not rent sight unseen.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
This was 15 years ago, but when our family moved to the Hershey area for grad school a couple of apartment complexes in Elizabethtown made our short list. Very nice conservative area, small college in the town, short drive to Hershey/Hummelstown and the rents were in our price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area