Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 PM

25 posts, read 49,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
I really like the way Harrisburg is taking shape. Ten years ago downtown did a complete 180 from the Second Street of years past, giving us the multitude of entertainment, dining, and performance options we have now. Midtown has been on the receiving end of nothing short of miracle work these past few years, with small merchants putting down roots and giving the whole area an eclectic, vibrant feel.

It's hard to believe that just 15 years ago, hardly anybody would visit Second Street after sundown. Today we have Privado, Molly Brannigan's, Shady's, Pep, and a dozen other venues. And barely five years ago, midtown was really struggling to reinvent itself. Today we have Midtown Scholar, Hodgepodgery, Cafe di Luna, HMAC, Mantis Gallery, and more development on the way. Uptown is next at bat, and with the right developer(s), areas like 10th & Market are just itching to take off.

Best of all, everything is within walking distance of everything else. Midtown Scholar to downtown is barely a 15-minute walk -- assuming you don't take the bike taxi (or bike yourself). History and architecture are abundant, and despite our city's and county's financial distress, there's a palpable feeling of growth and pride here.
Agreed. It has turned around quite a bit. But expect it to go back to the way it was, if linda thompson has her way now that she is mayor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 63,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
Great. Another Californian who can't stand California and then wants to move to someplace in PA that is just like California. Duh.
why bother saying anything like this on my post? Its not helpful. I have only lived in CA for 5 years, and I am not a Californian. I'm East Coast to the core, grew up an hour outside of Boston and lived for 7 years in Burlington Vermont. The things I love are similar to the bay area and my hometown in NH. My husband is from Mechanicsburg PA. Thanks to all with helpful responses.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdna35 View Post
Agreed. It has turned around quite a bit. But expect it to go back to the way it was, if linda thompson has her way now that she is mayor...
I heard that Harrisburg is filing for bankruptcy? Maybe it won't happen, but what a bummer!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baychic View Post
why bother saying anything like this on my post? Its not helpful. I have only lived in CA for 5 years, and I am not a Californian. I'm East Coast to the core, grew up an hour outside of Boston and lived for 7 years in Burlington Vermont. The things I love are similar to the bay area and my hometown in NH. My husband is from Mechanicsburg PA. Thanks to all with helpful responses.
I'd guess it has to do with opening your thread with snark. It's hard to take someone seriously when they attack a city they've never lived in, especially given the amusing-yet-sad east-shore-vs-west-shore mentality around these parts.

To be frank, you're asking for city life outside the city. You aren't going to find that here. It's unfortunate that you've already made up your mind that Harrisburg is "ghetto", since that's going to preclude the options that come closest to what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baychic
I heard that Harrisburg is filing for bankruptcy? Maybe it won't happen, but what a bummer!
Very likely. And it will probably take Dauphin County down with it. The city has some rough water in front of it. Those of us renting will see a minimal impact, but it's something I warn potential home-buyers about.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Quote:
And it will probably take Dauphin County down with it.
I don't think that's really likely since the county only guaranteed a portion of the debt. Also it's likely that just in Derry Twp. there's more taxable valuation than in the city, to say nothing of the other 38 municipalities.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'd guess it has to do with opening your thread with snark. It's hard to take someone seriously when they attack a city they've never lived in, especially given the amusing-yet-sad east-shore-vs-west-shore mentality around these parts.
Well, I appreciate the info. My husband is from the area, and his entire extended family lives within a 15 mile radius (in all directions). I originally wanted to live in Harrisburg, until we visited with the idea that we may move there. To me, that is giving it a fair chance. It has nothing to do with "shores". I LOVE Philly, and parts of DC, but they aren't on the table for us. I appreciate when people are so passionate about where they live that they will defend it to the end. I feel that way about NH. But, its an open forum, and I can certainly state my thoughts on the matter. Its a big deal deal, and pretty scary, to relocate cross country for the second time.

Does anyone have any more insight to the bankruptcy issue and what that will mean for private sector legal jobs? I know the new mayor is not a big hit...

Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baychic View Post
But, its an open forum, and I can certainly state my thoughts on the matter.
You certainly can. Similarly, don't be surprised when your reception after doing so is less than warm.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM

25 posts, read 49,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I don't think that's really likely since the county only guaranteed a portion of the debt. Also it's likely that just in Derry Twp. there's more taxable valuation than in the city, to say nothing of the other 38 municipalities.
agreed. derry twp will probably be carrying the county for a while, so to speak.

As much as the whole situation sucks, I think it's kind of funny that a lot of this has to so with a trash incinerator. but you're right, linda thompson is incredibly unpopular. she is a major opponent of the nightlife on 2nd street based more on issues of morality than anything, and her most recent move of laying off firemen hasn't endeared her to the people either.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM

24 posts, read 59,148 times
Baychic-camp hill is a great area as is hershey. Both have what your looking for, and, imo, Cornerstone Coffeehouse - Camp Hill : Mechanicsburg : Harrisburg, PA is a great coffeehouse in camphill. I don't think you will find the find the food diversity you are looking for however I have a friend from Hong Kong who said a local chinese place has the best authentic chinese food he has had in the US. Obviously this is subjective.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Baychic-camp hill is a great area as is hershey. Both have what your looking for, and, imo, Cornerstone Coffeehouse - Camp Hill : Mechanicsburg : Harrisburg, PA is a great coffeehouse in camphill. I don't think you will find the find the food diversity you are looking for however I have a friend from Hong Kong who said a local chinese place has the best authentic chinese food he has had in the US. Obviously this is subjective.
We do really love the Cornerstone coffeeshop and kind of camp out there when we visit - there and Neato Burrito. I wish that "One Good Woman" had an actual coffee shop attached to the store! We drove by a Chinese place near there and wondered if it was any good, maybe thats the place! Passage to India near Days Inn (I think) is so great too, actually better than our favorite spot in CA (although its not in SF). Seems like Camp Hill might be a good place to think about. Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses, good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area