Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,925,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
Harrisburg does not have much.
How do you figure?

Off the top of my head, you've got The Forum, the Susquehanna Art Museum, State Museum, Whitaker, AAH, John Harris Mansion, Walnut Gallery, Gallery on Second, HMAC, the Abbey, HoPo, Midtown Scholar, Mantis Collective, XPN, Harrisburg Historical Society, Dauphin County Historical Society, Gallery Blu, Gamut Theater, Midtown Cinema, Cafe De Luna, St. Thomas Roasters, Open Stage, Pridefest, the high water mark of the Civil War, the Civil War museum, Kipona, BrewFest, ArtsFest, MusicFest (sorry, the Harrisburg Mayor Linda D Thompson Presents The Harrisburg Multicultural Festival Presented By Harrisburg Mayor Linda D Thompson, Mayor (of Harrisburg (Mayor))), CASA, to say nothing of the options in the surrounding metro areas like Lancaster, Hershey, and York.

I can assure you that Harrisburg has fewer cultural options than Philadelphia. We also have 1.4 million fewer people. You can't look at major metros like DC and Philly and compare them against a tiny city like Harrisburg.

Last edited by DowntownHarrisburg; 10-05-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 AM

209 posts, read 607,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Molly Brannigan's.
hahaha sorry. That was where my DH and I went on our first date. Lol. I don't frequent bars much--can you tell? I don't care for the bar scene. Most of the time the bars are so loud you can't even hear yourself think (true anywhere, I am sure). We only went there because he likes beer and the restaurant we went to downtown was closing but we were still talking.

As far as culture, I'm just making sure they are aware that they are not going to have what they have in Philly and that they realize how much the smaller size is going to change that. (When I lived in the area I was the type who made pilgrimmages to Philly on the Amtrack on a fairly regular basis to both go shopping at the malls there (such as KOP or downtown Macys) or attend cultural events, say, the Phila Symphony or etc., because...they had more). The cultural difference is pretty big. I'm not saying that as a slam on Hburg, but I just think it might be a bit of culture shock for them to say, go to the Harrisburg East mall where one of the largest anchor stores is Bass Pro Shops (guns, outdoor stuff, and ammo) when you are used to the stores in the Philly area with stores like Na Hoku (high end jewelry) or the downtown Macys. Not saying the jewelry is better, just pointing out it's going to be very different. It's also not as diverse. They might not care about those things, I just think they need to know it will be *very* different.

Last edited by Kit624; 10-05-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Harrisburg doesn't have much of a park system. During the City Beautiful movement of the early 20th century, we bet the farm on Riverfront Park. Don't get me wrong -- Riverfront is a beautiful, very well-done park. But because of this, the remaining city parks are mostly vacant lots with a few trees thrown in. Italian Lake Park is nice, though it always felt better suited towards strolls with your loved one and less towards jogging or throwing the ball around. City Island, our "newest" and most-developed park, has a range of activities running the gamut from baseball games to kiddie train rides.
I guess it depends on what you want in a park but for a city of its size and age something like City Island is a big deal. The 20 mile long Capital Area Greenbelt Welcome to the Capital Area Greenbelt | Capital Area Green Belt Association continues from the riverfront through the little gem of the Five Senses Gardens, up to Reservoir Park with its surprising view and perhaps even more surprising National Civil War Museum. Wildwood Lake by itself (in the City limits but a Dauphin County park) has a nature center and 4+ miles of trails. It is true there is not a single large park with everything to everybody like Lancaster County's Central Park on the edge of Lancaster City.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM

45 posts, read 104,689 times
Quote:
As far as culture, I'm just making sure they are aware that they are not going to have what they have in Philly and that they realize how much the smaller size is going to change that.
Comparing Harrisburg to Philly (or Pittsburgh, or NYC, or Chicago, or DC, or, or, or) is like comparing apples to blue. There is going to be culture shock regardless if someone moves to Hbg from Philly or from Berkeley Springs. The Harrisburg area simply is, and I love it for what it is. The people who come here or go anywhere with the mindset of comparing where they are with where they wish they were, are always going to be disappointed and cranky. And miss out on a lot of wonderful qualities their current location has to offer.

Harrisburg is not Not-Philly and it is not Not-NYC. Harrisburg is Harrisburg, and deserves to be loved (or hated) for what it is.

To the OP, looking for things to sway your opinion in one way or the other about moving to Harrisburg -- I highly recommend talking to the people who live here. It's been my experience that most are friendly and love talking about themselves and their interests. When I first moved to Harrisburg-proper, I didn't know anyone in the immediate vicinity. I went into The HodgePodgery for a make-and-take event and met one of the owners. That, as they say, is that. The very first thing she did was to introduce me to someone else walking by, then invited me to a recurring lunch event and monthly meetup. I went and BOOM. Instant networking and community, all because I stopped in and said "hi".

That is one of the (many) things I love about Harrisburg.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 49,225 times
I am well aware of the difference between a large city (Philadelphia) and a small city (harrisburg)...so no worries about the "culture shock". I grew up in lancaster county, and spent several years in Greensboro NC before moving to Philly, so I'm pretty sure Harrisburg has enough to offer us. I've already found the Harrisburg Shakespeare Theatre, and Comedy Club, as well as took note of what the Whitaker center has to offer. I"m pretty certain there's enough to get our "cultural" fill....I actually think there is quite a lot to find in regards to the arts as long as you'er looking for it.. We're looking to get out of Philly, not recreate it. Can't wait to come see what Harrisburg has to offer!

I think the greenbelt will be great for me, I love running the Schuykill Banks (in Philly..if you're familiar), and the greenbelt seems extremely similar. I'll probably miss the communal aspect of parks like Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, or Washington Square in Philly, but you can't have everything!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I don't care for the bar scene. I was the type who made pilgrimmages to Philly on the Amtrack on a fairly regular basis to both go shopping at the malls there (such as KOP or downtown Macys) or attend cultural events, say, the Phila Symphony or etc., because...they had more). The cultural difference is pretty big. I'm just making sure they are aware that they are not going to have what they have in Philly and that they realize how much the smaller size is going to change that.
I'm pretty sure nobody expects Harrisburg to equate to Philly. The ones who do are usually the ones who wind up screaming "omg Harrisburg sux, there's no culture here".

Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgillard View Post
Can't wait to come see what Harrisburg has to offer!

I think the greenbelt will be great for me, I love running the Schuykill Banks (in Philly..if you're familiar), and the greenbelt seems extremely similar. I'll probably miss the communal aspect of parks like Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, or Washington Square in Philly, but you can't have everything!
Welcome to the city! You'll find that the area of the Greenbelt along the river and City Island is densely populated with walkers, joggers, and cyclists. The lower deck will give you a little more space and safety (from not having to cross streets), but I personally enjoy the view from above. I also like the part that snakes through the old mental hospital grounds -- very scenic and about as isolated as you can get within the city limits.

I'd really like to see our communal edge develop, but that's going to take some time. The current state of affairs in midtown suggests that the vacant lot next to Broad St Market would be ripe for development into a park, and that would be in an ideal spot to host events / markets / etc. A vacant run-down building across the street (1320 N Third) was just turned into an arts-oriented building by the same guy who owns Midtown Scholar. That, combined with HACC and the new location of the Susquehanna Art Museum, is going to pull the "hot spot" of midtown just a little further north along Third.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM

18 posts, read 49,225 times
Everything I hear about this city makes it seem more and more to be just what we're looking for.

Quick question: Does anyone know anything about Arepa City? My fiance is 1/2 venezuelan, grew up with venezuelan food, and was overjoyed when i came across this restaurant. Is it any good? or just "american" food masking as authentic?

Not judging Harrisburg restaurants, just know how these trendy foreign cuisine style restaurants can go.... (ie most "irish pubs" server burgers, chicken wings and miller light and play regular music, and put clovers/leprechauns on their walls...)

Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 104,689 times
You mean to say that chicken quesadillas aren't Irish?

Arepa City is a small fast-casual/take-out style restaurant with a few tables, booths, and chairs inside. I don't know about what makes authentic Venezuelan food, but I do really enjoy their food and never thought it Americanized. Arepa City is delightful, different, and refreshing.

(Particularly at 2am... )

Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgillard View Post
Quick question: Does anyone know anything about Arepa City? My fiance is 1/2 venezuelan, grew up with venezuelan food, and was overjoyed when i came across this restaurant. Is it any good? or just "american" food masking as authentic?
I love Arepa City. I can't say whether or not it's authentic, but it is delicious and doesn't seem very American to me. I especially like their late-night fare.

Check out their menu here: AREPA CITY | Harrisburg, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area