Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:20 AM

549 posts, read 848,395 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a watered down version of New Urbanist design. I think the best developer of New Urban town centers is Steiner and Associates. Check out Easton Town Center outside Columbus, Ohio for the absolute best version of this type of design.
https://goo.gl/maps/huzQATY1sdF2

The only New Urbanist development I can think of in the areas is Walden in Mechanicsburg. It's more of a residential development, but has a little two block long retail district.
https://goo.gl/maps/APvg3zAoNPp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM

62 posts, read 97,764 times
Thanks guys! And yes, I had forgotten about "sinkhole valley" for Hershey...that would definitely not be a good investment to build on land like that. What's nice is Hershey really isn't TOO far of a drive from those nice shoppes listed to be built down in Lancaster! I know this strays a bit off topic, but are all of the houses in Derry Township subject to these sink holes? Or just portions of the area? And if so then how far does it extend out passed the township? Thanks!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,273 times
Given the current state of the retail industry, I don't think we'll be seeing as many of these developments in the coming years (at least with larger retail tenants).

Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGuitar22 View Post
Thanks guys! And yes, I had forgotten about "sinkhole valley" for Hershey...that would definitely not be a good investment to build on land like that. What's nice is Hershey really isn't TOO far of a drive from those nice shoppes listed to be built down in Lancaster! I know this strays a bit off topic, but are all of the houses in Derry Township subject to these sink holes? Or just portions of the area? And if so then how far does it extend out passed the township? Thanks!
To a first approximation, the sinkhole zone is along US 422 and US 322. The northern tip of Derry is on the shale side of the Great Appalachian Valley (aka Cumberland Valley, Shenandoah Valley, etc.), as well as Union Deposit (the small village in South Hanover Twp with a Hershey postal address), so not subject to the limestone karst solution features. Southern Derry (the wooded hills behind the med center) is not generally sinkhole-y either, as its bedrock is a Triassic sandstone formerly exported to Brooklyn. Hummelstown Brownstone

Allow flash, pan and zoom to see limestone geology and known sinkholes: http://www.gis.dcnr.state.pa.us/maps...l?geology=true

Old 12-12-2017, 03:33 PM

62 posts, read 97,764 times
Thank you, ki0eh! That was very helpful. I know there are a lot of houses between 422 and 322, maybe it would be wise to avoid owning any of those? Anyway, definitely would not be a good location for any new shopping centers. Really looking forward to the Lancaster and Susquehanna township shopping developments though!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Thank you, ki0eh! That was very helpful. I know there are a lot of houses between 422 and 322, maybe it would be wise to avoid owning any of those? Anyway, definitely would not be a good location for any new shopping centers. Really looking forward to the Lancaster and Susquehanna township shopping developments though!

It would be great if the Colonial Park Mall site could be developed into some dense walkable retail. That mall needs to be demolished and developed into some mixed use; project. Since the Land Area is more compact, maybe make the project 3 - 5 floors. With a mixture of retail, entertainment, and some commercial/residential. You could have a Wegman's anchor the site. Similar to this project called Uptown Worthington in Chester County, PA!!

http://uptownworthington.com/

Its right by 83 and 81 so great access, and Lower Paxton is the largest township in Central PA, and a decently well to do one at that.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-12-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 06:01 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Quote:
Thank you, ki0eh! That was very helpful. I know there are a lot of houses between 422 and 322, maybe it would be wise to avoid owning any of those?
We chose not to, in large part for that reason, but also we didn't perceive value in the price premium the "village" has in Hershey.

A hidden benefit to the "village" is that the assessor Dauphin County hired the last time was out-of-area, so houses even on Elm Ave. more than twice the value of our modest split-level way out up the hill, were assessed lower.

Though it's a real PITA to have to drive everywhere, walkability gaps around the village core present hindrances too.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:33 AM

92 posts, read 116,174 times
I have been to a few town center's, and absolutely love the concept. Would love to see one in this area. The ones that I have been to have all been in either Maryland or Virginia. A few times I've planned small weekend trips around town centers to visit shops and restaurants that aren't in this area, just for fun. I think there is a York Town Center.

Have never been to the one out in KoP, but have heard nice things about it. Not sure how I've managed to not run across it coming off the turnpike or Rt 30 when out that way.

Of the few Town Centers I've been too my 2 favorites were probably Washingtonian Town Center (Gaithersburg, MD) & Spotsylvania Town Center & the Village at Town Centre (Spotsylvania, VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area