Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times

Advertisements

DH and I currently live in SE Michigan and have lived in this general area all of our lives. We have a good life here and could stay here indefinitely and be happy. However, Gettysburg has always intrigued me, and each time we visit I love it more. Right now, it is the only place in the country that I would consider giving up my life here for, because I love so much about it; the history, obviously (I am a huge Civil War buff), the architecture, the beautiful rolling countryside around it, the fact that it has four distinct seasons, the friendly people, etc., etc.

So my question here is, for any of you who currently live or have lived in or around Gettysburg, would you recommend it? What do/did you like/dislike about it? i am very aware that it is a tourist town and when we were there last month it was fairly crowded, granted it was a beautiful Saturday in early May so I expected it to be. I can see that traffic could be a potential issue, although that wouldn't bother me since it is still a relatively small town and it wouldn't be like driving in Atlanta or anything. Besides, I know, based on the fact that the small town that we live in now has some regional tourist attractions, that when you live in a tourist town you quickly learn when and where to drive to avoid the worst of the traffic and you find back ways to get places. So in other words, the locals in Gettysburg probably find a way to avoid the traffic circle in the middle of town and Baltimore Street on a crazy busy weekend.

I don't know if DH would be agreeable to moving, but if he ever is, he would be way more likely to move to a place like Gettysburg than somewhere like Florida (bleh) and I would very seriously consider the move right now, just because I can't seem to get enough of Gettysburg and I never want to leave when we're there.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 PM

I have answered the questions that the put here on C-D to help people know more about us and our needs/wants:

When are you moving?
If at all then possibly within 5 years.
Where are you coming from?
Small town in SE Michigan
Why are you moving?
In love with the area and feel like it's "home" the times we've been there
Where will you be working?
I work from home, DH will be retired by the time we move but can work as a truck driver if need be.
Have you been here yet?
Yes, on four separate occasions.

Will you buy or rent?
Definitely buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
Would prefer a house, new or old doesn't really matter, would love to live in the historic district but it seems that the homes are either out of our budget or fixer uppers with no yards and we would want at least a small yard. Top budget is probably around $300,000.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
N/A
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Probably not too many high rises in Gettysburg, lol

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married empty nesters with two adult children
Do you prefer public or private schools?
N/A
Do you have pets?
Yes, two cats and a dog but that could change before we move, they are all getting up in years.
Do you want or need a yard?
Yes, definitely. We don't need acreage or anything, but at least somewhere to have flower beds and a place to sit outdoors in the summer.
Are you keeping a car?
Yes, two.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Both, and we realize that a town like Gettysburg would definitely have its share of bustling activity and that's fine with us.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - not really an issue
Shopping - within a few miles but doesn't have to be next door
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - same as above
Nightlife - N/A, we aren't party people
Train or subway stations - N/A in Gettysburg, I'm thinking.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
We're not surrounded by people just like us here and that's fine, we really don't care. We are conservative politically, but from the research I have done it doesn't look like that would be a problem in Gettysburg.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
President Dwight Eisenhower and Mamie retired there. Their home is a tourist attraction (next to the battlefield).

Pennsylvania attracts many retirees, because pension and social security income is exempt from PA state tax. Clothing I think is also exempt from sales tax. Many retirees choose the Gettysburg area, and there are special retirement communities.

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-19-2018 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 AM

599 posts, read 498,445 times
Second hand info. but I had a new home customer who move from Gettysburg, having been there their whole lives. They were in their 70s, and had deep ties to the community, including being business owners and local elected officials, in the past. They claimed that the park service and the local college had gradually overtaken the town. As a result, the community was hollowed out and the local taxes were unacceptably high. I don't know if their claims were legitimate, but they moved three hours away, and were pretty passionate about how the feds. in particular "ruined" the Gettysburg they once knew.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I remember when we were in Gettysburg back in May we were chatting with a friendly local and she also mentioned her frustration with the tax structure and how the national park and the college have taken over and left the tax paying residents to pick up the slack of the taxes that those two entities don't have to pay. That does sound somewhat problematic but I think it wouldn't necessarily discourage us if we could break everything down on paper and see if the money we saved by not having DH's pension taxed and having cheaper car insurance would offer adequate compensation. Good to know, though, and I can certainly understand the locals being frustrated with the situation.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:51 PM

45,347 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies!

I remember when we were in Gettysburg back in May we were chatting with a friendly local and she also mentioned her frustration with the tax structure and how the national park and the college have taken over and left the tax paying residents to pick up the slack of the taxes that those two entities don't have to pay. That does sound somewhat problematic but I think it wouldn't necessarily discourage us if we could break everything down on paper and see if the money we saved by not having DH's pension taxed and having cheaper car insurance would offer adequate compensation. Good to know, though, and I can certainly understand the locals being frustrated with the situation.
Keep in mind that you can move a couple miles down the road outside of the Gettysburg Area School District and have an entirely different tax load. School taxes will typically make up a large part of your total tax bill in PA (and most other states). School Boards in PA have taxing authority, unlike many states.

Here is a list of school districts in Adams County:
School Districts

Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that you can move a couple miles down the road outside of the Gettysburg Area School District and have an entirely different tax load. School taxes will typically make up a large part of your total tax bill in PA (and most other states). School Boards in PA have taxing authority, unlike many states.

Here is a list of school districts in Adams County:
School Districts
Thanks a lot for the information, it is much appreciated. I will check it out now.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
If you love Gettysburg. Check out Litiz, PA. Absolutely charming place. One of the most beautiful places in America.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
If you love Gettysburg. Check out Litiz, PA. Absolutely charming place. One of the most beautiful places in America.
Thanks, I will.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks, I will.

Also something to note. It is a bustling small historic town with SO MUCH CHARM.

Lancaster City about 30 minutes to the south is one of the oldest colonial inland cities in all of America is considered to have some of the most historic architecture in America.

With that a world renowned production studio is located just outside of the this very charming small town.

The likes of:

U2
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry

are known to walk the streets of Litiz.

Enjoy

Your amenities are going to be greater in Lancaster county than Adams county as well. Everything from healthcare to food.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area