Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,523 times

Advertisements

We live in Maui and just this very minute captured and flushed a 'pede that was crawling on the dark thick rug in the living room. My daughter screamed and woke the whole house up while watching movie on sofa. It is the fifth one in the house since we moved in here in October. Neighbor has lots of chickens, we have no brush around house. Leave shoes inside door not outside door. Tiny roaches in kitchen and wasp nests that hang from the eves on one tiny long string. But nothing else. No flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I saw one hiking out at Kaena Point.
In a crevice I was going to use as a handhold.
Huge mofo, I tell you what.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,064,038 times
Gross. After this thread, I viewed some Youtube videos of centipedes in Hawai'i. I guess I will stick where it's cold and worry about bumble bees.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,776,978 times
I lived on Oahu for 11 years and saw ONE centipede the whole time.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 AM

21 posts, read 71,816 times
Default Depends on the weather

I lived in dry Hawaii Kai and saw the blasted bugs all the time (especially at night with the hordes of cockroaches as I walked the fearless dog). In Manoa, none. I guess they don't like the rain much.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendra View Post
I lived in dry Hawaii Kai
+1 on Hawaii Kai - saw them regularly there and yet to see one in Kailua - yet.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,584,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
+1 on Hawaii Kai - saw them regularly there and yet to see one in Kailua - yet.
You know, there are certain things you should just never do.. If in a horror movie, and you're not the star, DON'T go down into the basement alone.. If you're a radio or TV sports announcer, NEVER say, "Well, you know John, he has now had 250 games, and over 2000 passes WITHOUT an interception', cause you know what's next..... 'JOHN!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!' And never,,,, NEVER say,,, "I've never seen a centipede in Kailua'....

I'd keep both eyes open tonight if I were you.......

And don't go into the basement

(even if you're on the Bigger Island)

Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Ha ha - I don't remember the Hawaii basement thread - but I'm sure it was classic. I have no doubt the creepy crawlies are undergoing a plan of attack - so far I've seen lots of roaches (yuck, not in the house - so far), snails, some kind of bee that likes wood - but I had a good 14 hour day today at work - perhaps I'll dream of a basement overrun with centipedes - thanks Jungohann!!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM

5,637 posts, read 6,528,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendra View Post
I lived in dry Hawaii Kai and saw the blasted bugs all the time (especially at night with the hordes of cockroaches as I walked the fearless dog). In Manoa, none. I guess they don't like the rain much.
Nonsense! I was born and raised in Wahiawa Heights and it rains a lot up there. Centipedes surrounded us! I need a calculator to figure out how many times I saw one. My dad was bitten more than once by centipedes.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,238,918 times
Since they probably fill some sort of important ecological niche, I suggest that you do not bother them if they are not bothering you.

If you see one while you are hiking, leave it alone.

I'm more inclined to scoop unwanted bugs up and remove them from the house, unless they show some persistent homing instinct. Or they are poisonous, or aggressive biters. So maybe it is not safe for a giant centipede to wander into my house.

On the plus side for the giant centipede, they eat cockroaches, so I will give them extra gold stars for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii