Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,797 times

Advertisements

I remember a patient who was admitted because he, get this, got the brilliant idea to get a centipede and pull its' stingers off. He confessed that he and his buddies had been smoking weed. put their collective brain cells together, and there you go. Guess who won that fight.

I live in Waimea and had numerous people say that there were no centipedes there. That very day I saw one of those demons slither by in the grass. I almost had a heart attack.

Last edited by Pikake; 05-21-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 PM

21 posts, read 71,754 times
Default Buggy bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Nonsense! I was born and raised in Wahiawa Heights and it rains a lot up there. Centipedes surrounded us! I need a calculator to figure out how many times I saw one. My dad was bitten more than once by centipedes.
Ooo sorry to hear that! All I can say is, in my experience: Hawaii Kai = Crazy amounts, Hickam AFB = A steady presence, Manoa = None in a little over a year.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,344 times
A few months back I put on a shirt I had left outside on a hammock over night and a 6-incher crawled over my chest. Only realized what it was when it fell out after I hopped around thinking it was a roach. Didn't bite me though, but the adrenaline was pumping...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
A few months back I put on a shirt I had left outside on a hammock over night and a 6-incher crawled over my chest. Only realized what it was when it fell out after I hopped around thinking it was a roach. Didn't bite me though, but the adrenaline was pumping...
If that had happened to me, I would have needed more that just a fresh T-Shirt.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
Not sure why folks generally comment that centipedes are harmless to humans but, I can see that some do confuse the house centipede with the demonic snake-like T-Rex of centipedes. My story, I am a Kama aina that has lived all over the Island of Oahu, Hawaii. I think that the larger centipedes are in the Ewa Beach and upper Pearl City side. One morning at around 2:am while sleeping in bed I raised up with so much pain that I could not even scream. It felt like a hydraulic nail gun had punched me right inside of my thigh along a main artery and a few inches from the testicles. I told my wife to jump out of bed, turn on the lights, and get out of the room. Our bed was elevated but, it did not matter. An eight incher had crawled inside perhaps detecting my pulse along the artery in his hunt for what he thought was another insect hiding under my skin? I am telling you the truth--the pain continued sporadically for two years and I had two black dots showing but, the pain was in my heart affecting my heartbeat and lasting for up to four seconds with no warning. Before going to the E.R., I sprayed insecticide everywhere. The E.R. on Pearl Harbor downplayed it, wrote it off as an "insect bite", and gave me topical ointment? I continued my search that day and found the monster dead under my bed. Ever since, I keep loaded CO2 guns at the ready that have actually saved my household as I am a pretty good shot. I shot the head off of another the next night after spotting it near my bare feet under my desk. Don't listen to those guys that tell you to pick them up. They have keen senses and will curl around your hand and tear you apart. Like blood thirsty mosquitos, these things are experts at stealth and can hide even in tree bark. Like snakes and zombies, they are hard to kill unless you kill the head.

Respecting the insect world is one thing but, to downplay this poisonous death stalker is absurd. Had I had been an infant, that bite might well have killed me. For me, a good semi auto BB gun is the best home defense for these killers and by the way, I have seen their hives by lifting up a concrete slab and looks like the must have hundreds of hatchlings from mating so, if you see one, that is the hunter and there are no doubt many more in some dark and damp corner of your landscape or home. Be very afraid.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I saw one hiking out at Kaena Point.
Centipedes hike? I did not know that. How do they afford so many pairs of boots?

OK, sorry about that. Anyway... I've never been bitten, but I've certainly seen enough of the damned things around the house. I hate them with a passion. On cold nights, they used to crawl into my bed to keep warm, and I would roll over and crush them in my sleep. And then find their gigantic squashed bodies in the bed the next morning.

You wake up to that in the morning, and then just try getting to sleep that night without thinking about it. Go on, try. I dare you!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
and I would roll over and crush them in my sleep. it.
Like that's going to happen.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Centipedes hike? I did not know that. How do they afford so many pairs of boots?

OK, sorry about that. Anyway... I've never been bitten, but I've certainly seen enough of the damned things around the house. I hate them with a passion. On cold nights, they used to crawl into my bed to keep warm, and I would roll over and crush them in my sleep. And then find their gigantic squashed bodies in the bed the next morning.

You wake up to that in the morning, and then just try getting to sleep that night without thinking about it. Go on, try. I dare you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Like that's going to happen.
I've stomped on them full force and all it does is **** them off.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I've stomped on them full force and all it does is **** them off.
Try spraying em with Raid. It's like friggin kanapi pakalolo. Empty a can on a couple of em, and they give you stink eye, say something like, "EH, Bruddah, stuff is ono you know!!! Get more??' Then stumble out to your yard and rape the chickens. They're badass little multi legged buggahs..

What brah, BODDAH YOU!!! (famous kanapi saying)

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Try spraying em with Raid. It's like friggin kanapi pakalolo. Empty a can on a couple of em, and they give you stink eye, say something like, "EH, Bruddah, stuff is ono you know!!! Get more??' Then stumble out to your yard and rape the chickens. They're badass little multi legged buggahs..

What brah, BODDAH YOU!!! (famous kanapi saying)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii