Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 AM

40 posts, read 126,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaseline View Post
Is the Asian-American Experience More Positive in Hawaii?

Background: I am considering attending UH JABSOM for medical school over an upper tier medical school in the mainland in order to pursue a better lifestyle. You can deny it all you want, but fully acculturated Asian-Americans face varying degrees of racial prejudice in the mainland. Barriers often exist in making friends, dating, work, etc. I am a sociable person. Even then there are people who dismiss me likely because I am Asian. Of course if you are fine just sticking with your own race these problem tend to evaporate, but this isn't something I prefer to do. Variety is the spice of life.

So.

1. Is the Asian-American experience More Positive in Hawaii?
2. Will I have more fun as an Asian-American dude in Hawaii than as an Asian-American dude on the Mainland. Have you had a more enjoyable time as an asian-american on the islands vs the states. Explain

Theres racism against Asian education on the mainland?
Yea right!
Have you noticed the lack of diversity in California Colleges?... often contain 5 to 10 times the Asian students, goals set asides created by affirmative action.
Most good colleges are 60% asian, 30% white, 9% Hispanic, less than 1 % black.
When AA goals are 50% white, 30% hispanic, 10 % asian and 10 % black.

I can tell you, if you arent " Hip" and are the steriotypicle nerd, You'll be harassed in Hawaii as being " Too WHITE '

Sorry, You asked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Default ohhh its the chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaseline View Post
Is the Asian-American Experience More Positive in Hawaii?

Background: I am considering attending UH JABSOM for medical school over an upper tier medical school in the mainland in order to pursue a better lifestyle. You can deny it all you want, but fully acculturated Asian-Americans face varying degrees of racial prejudice in the mainland. Barriers often exist in making friends, dating, work, etc. I am a sociable person. Even then there are people who dismiss me likely because I am Asian. Of course if you are fine just sticking with your own race these problem tend to evaporate, but this isn't something I prefer to do. Variety is the spice of life.

So.

1. Is the Asian-American experience More Positive in Hawaii?
2. Will I have more fun as an Asian-American dude in Hawaii than as an Asian-American dude on the Mainland. Have you had a more enjoyable time as an asian-american on the islands vs the states. Explain

At first I was puzzled as why would you what to leave the Asian dominated colleges of the west coast for Hawaii, Then I reread your message.
Fun = Chicks, and most hot Asian chicks on the Mainland end up with White Boys, get married.... spit out a couple kids and live the American Dream. Aint many Asian girls left for the nerdy Asian boys who might wanna settle down some day.
If I were in your shoes, I'd got to Hawaii. Racism there tends to keep J A with JA, much like the South during the redneck days.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 AM

351 posts, read 588,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood226 View Post
Yea right!
Have you noticed the lack of diversity in California Colleges?... often contain 5 to 10 times the Asian students, goals set asides created by affirmative action.

I can tell you, if you arent " Hip" and are the steriotypicle nerd, You'll be harassed in Hawaii as being " Too WHITE '

Sorry, You asked!
Excuse me, but how would you know if there isn't any racism against asians on the mainland since you aren't asian??!!

The op was talking about social situations, not about education. This reminds me of a haole man who lived in Waimanalo and said to me that he now knew how a black man felt on the mainland.

I told him that his reasoning was totally ridiculous, since only a black man would know how that feels. Likewise, only an asian american person living on the mainland would what know what their experiences would feel like.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 09-20-2010 at 01:32 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,624,318 times
I can't comment on the discrimination that asians face on the "mainland", the "mainland" is a big place with lots of different demographics. I wouln't expect the Southern California asian experience to be similar to the North Dakota one but I am sure it happens to some degree. I have seen that a lot of asian men tend to feel frustrated in areas with a lot of black and white men because asian women seem very desirable to men of other races so there is a lot of competition. What I can also say is that in my experience, anyone that does not identify with the "majority" of an area will feel like they experience prejudice because the group they associate themselves with is not the dominant one. Hawaii will be no different because you may be asian, but you are not local, so the faces may be similar to yours but the culture will not.

In the big picture my wife identifies herself as asian, but really she identifies herself as local Japanese from Hawaii. She does not feel any more comfortable with all of the filipino's here in Virginia Beach than she does with the white people because the culture is different in both cases. You will be a katonk (mainland asian) and will have to work yourself into a social circle just like anywhere else because you do not have family there, you did not graduate high school there, and you do not know anyone.

That being said, my good friend (who is half Okinawan half English) from back woods Pennsylvania, moved to Honolulu and said he felt like he fit in better. Of course, he was coming from a coal mining town near the West Virginia border so take that for what it was worth. My other friend (who is 100% filipino from Virginia Beach) that came to my wedding (in Honolulu) and said that it was kind of cool to see faces everywhere that looked like his feel like he was in the majority someplace. Everyone assumed he was local and treated him as such, at least until he opened his mouth, at which point they marveled at his southern drawl but still treated him very well. haha. So you will still be an outsider in some sense but you will at least look similar to most other people there and that may go a long way towards your feeling comfortable.

In addition, I found Honolulu to be a fun place for young singles. I spent most of my 20's there and had a great time. There is a lot of nightlife and the types of people that come to Honolulu are generally very social and fun-loving. It is certainly not uncommon to see asian men with women of any race (except maybe black women but there aren't a lot of black women in Hawaii so who knows). So in that regard it sounds like a good fit for you.

Last edited by UHgrad; 09-20-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 08:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times
Quote:
Yea right!

Sorry, You asked!
Gee...if I were Asian from the Mainland...and read some weirdass guy saying there was no racism against asians in the mainland, while making racist comments about asians as he does it....

Well, it would certainly make me want to get far away from those kind of people as well and head towards Hawaii.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Gee...if I were Asian from the Mainland...and read some weirdass guy saying there was no racism against asians in the mainland, while making racist comments about asians as he does it....

Well, it would certainly make me want to get far away from those kind of people as well and head towards Hawaii.
I am pretty sure that he was just commenting that institutions of higher learning have a higher proportion of asians (by population) than any other race so it sounds funny to say that asians are discriminated against in an educational setting. I didn't detect any racist comments there.

I think he misinterpreted the OP's question as one that was about schools when it was likely really about about asian guys not getting as many chicks as black/white guys in his area.

As far as the last comment he made, it was not said in the most tactful way but there are words in Hawaii like "katonk" and "haolefied" which mean that you look "local" but you act haole so I don't think the comment is off base. I could be wrong but that was how I interpreted the comments.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I am pretty sure that he was just commenting that institutions of higher learning have a higher proportion of asians (by population) than any other race so it sounds funny to say that asians are discriminated against in an educational setting. I didn't detect any racist comments there.

I think he misinterpreted the OP's question as one that was about schools when it was likely really about about asian guys not getting as many chicks as black/white guys in his area.

As far as the last comment he made, it was not said in the most tactful way but there are words in Hawaii like "katonk" and "haolefied" which mean that you look "local" but you act haole so I don't think the comment is off base. I could be wrong but that was how I interpreted the comments.
Sorry, actually the Education post set off the twood226 post...which set me off. So actually I guess looking back, I was referring more to twoods:

Quote:
At first I was puzzled as why would you what to leave the Asian dominated colleges of the west coast for Hawaii, Then I reread your message.
Fun = Chicks, and most hot Asian chicks on the Mainland end up with White Boys, get married.... spit out a couple kids and live the American Dream. Aint many Asian girls left for the nerdy Asian boys who might wanna settle down some day.
If I were in your shoes, I'd got to Hawaii. Racism there tends to keep J A with JA, much like the South during the redneck days.
It's not particularly racist...but just stereotypes that asian guys can't get girls, and they are all nerdy, white boys are superior, etc. If I were Asian, it would make me want to get away from just being around those kind of people, regardless if it were true or not.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sorry, actually the Education post set off the twood226 post...which set me off. So actually I guess looking back, I was referring more to twoods:

It's not particularly racist...but just stereotypes that asian guys can't get girls, and they are all nerdy, white boys are superior, etc. If I were Asian, it would make me want to get away from just being around those kind of people, regardless if it were true or not.
Oh, I gotcha. I agree that the other post you are referring to is definitely sterotyping.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
Excuse me, but how would you know if there isn't any racism against asians on the mainland since you aren't asian??!!

The op was talking about social situations, not about education. This reminds me of a haole man who lived in Waimanalo and said to me that he now knew how a black man felt on the mainland.

I told him that his reasoning was totally ridiculous, since only a black man would know how that feels. Likewise, only an asian american person living on the mainland would what know what their experiences would feel like.

How do you know Im not Asian.
Seems you jumped to that conclusion pretty fast.
For the record, Im mixed race.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post

Yes, I agree, A white guy can never know what a black guy feels! ( sad, we are all in the human race, but must be a different species )

So all you local guys who tell Haoles that there you dont have any reason to complain about racism in Hawaii.
Need to shut it up.
You dont know how they feel.

Also.... HOW SAD!!!

The white guy Waimanalo is in so much pain that he thinks the hatred in Hawaii is equal to what blacks experienced in the mainland????

Any white person who is even thinking about moving to Hawaii.... should read that sentence clearly.... it speaks for its self.

Last edited by twood226; 09-20-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii