Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 PM

91 posts, read 419,598 times

Advertisements

It appears from this forum that all haoles should learn jiu jitsu! Or maybe just realize that prejudice happens everywhere... from Mississippi to Virginia to Hawaii to ... Norway. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure "we'll all just get along" better in the future. Don't worry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:52 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood226 View Post
As bad as it is for Haoles in Hawaii, Racism is much worse for Blacks.

A Haole can generally get accepted into the local culture if he puts up with enough crap, long enough.

A brother, is still a brother. Or as the locals call them " Papolo "
Wow! I didn't know Hawaii was so anti-black.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Hawaii isn't anti-black as is evident by this quote from another thread on this forum. Also the correct spelling is popolo, not papolo.

Quote:
My step-daughter, who is African-American from Texas, recently attended the University of Hawaii. She came there not knowing a soul and with her parents never having been to the islands. She was 19 and had never lived on her own. She LOVED it!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM

369 posts, read 776,481 times
^ One persons opinion of an experience doesn't necessarily make it a fact. Also as a cousin of Haunani, most of us just think she is a little...much. That's a very nice way to say it too.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Wow! I didn't know Hawaii was so anti-black.
Hawaii is NOT "ant-Black"! Popolo is simply the name we use for Blacks in the exact same way that we use Haole for Whites!

I have an "Uncle" who grew up with my Father and was as much a part of our family as my other Uncles.

There is a prejudice that may remain with some 1st & 2nd generation Asians but the majority of "local" people view Popolos the same way that Haoles are viewed.

There is an individual who is posting that has an extremely skewed vision of Hawaii and her people who seems to take pleasure in instilling fear in others. How miserable to be so filled with such venom.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Hawaii is NOT "ant-Black"! Popolo is simply the name we use for Blacks in the exact same way that we use Haole for Whites!

I have an "Uncle" who grew up with my Father and was as much a part of our family as my other Uncles.

There is a prejudice that may remain with some 1st & 2nd generation Asians but the majority of "local" people view Popolos the same way that Haoles are viewed.

There is an individual who is posting that has an extremely skewed vision of Hawaii and her people who seems to take pleasure in instilling fear in others. How miserable to be so filled with such venom.
Awesome post, I coudn't have said it better myself. Rep points to you!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
^ One persons opinion of an experience doesn't necessarily make it a fact. Also as a cousin of Haunani, most of us just think she is a little...much. That's a very nice way to say it too.
Haunani's a cousin of mine (second cousin to be exact) as well.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
You must be an english prof, short on facts, uses clever words, and selectively interprets. LOL
One of the hard sciences, actually. I deal with proof, logic, data and all that.The stuff that's unimportant in your world of stories, I guess.

Quote:
(except for maybe the ivory tower comment which just implies that you have probably interacted with a smaller percentage of the general population than I have)...
I live in a very "local" neighborhood. I spend a lot of time in local public schools, all over Oahu, on BI, on Molokai. I probably don't interact with as many young adults as you do / did. I know: college students, K-12 students, teachers, parents, my neighbors, lots of UH staff. They're still a pretty diverse bunch.

Quote:
It just baffles me that someone would try to deny the fact that there is racial tension towards whites in Hawaii. Especially when I am not even trying to say it is unjustified (that is a whole other debate)... I am just trying to get you to acknowledge its existence.
I never said this. But this all started because you were defending a comment that being white in Hawaii is like being black in a mainland city. Once again: NO. IT. IS. NOT.

It's way more complicated than just race in Hawaii, and the power dynamic is totally different. You may really truly believe it is the same.

You may not be able to walk away from the conversation, but I have way more interesting things to think about. So I'm done.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 AM

239 posts, read 520,400 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaseline View Post
Is the Asian-American Experience More Positive in Hawaii?

Background: I am considering attending UH JABSOM for medical school over an upper tier medical school in the mainland in order to pursue a better lifestyle. You can deny it all you want, but fully acculturated Asian-Americans face varying degrees of racial prejudice in the mainland. Barriers often exist in making friends, dating, work, etc. I am a sociable person. Even then there are people who dismiss me likely because I am Asian. Of course if you are fine just sticking with your own race these problem tend to evaporate, but this isn't something I prefer to do. Variety is the spice of life.

So.

1. Is the Asian-American experience More Positive in Hawaii?
2. Will I have more fun as an Asian-American dude in Hawaii than as an Asian-American dude on the Mainland. Have you had a more enjoyable time as an asian-american on the islands vs the states. Explain
My husband is hapa--Hawaiian, Japanese, white. He looks Japanese for the most part and was raised on Maui and the mainland in the Bay area. I can tell you that his experience has been more positive in the islands than on the mainland. He experienced racial slurs and physical attacks on the mainland growing up there. His experiences have depended on where he was on the mainland, however. Some places are much worse than others.

As for fun...He had a great time on the mainland and also on Oahu when he was a young man. I think this is more about a guy's personality and to be honest his looks than about where he is living.

My husband tells me that what he likes in Hawaii is that it's nice to see more people who look like him and share the same culture and therefore share the same values and they can easily understand one another. When he's on the mainland he feels like the only Asian guy in the crowd and that can be hard. Also, he says the guys on the mainland always want to talk about money/investments and politics. It's different here in the islands. He likes it much better here when it comes to being Asian.

As for health care, it sucks here on the Big Island. We need more doctors, so whether you go to med school in Hawaii or on the mainland it would be great if you came here when you have finished.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
One of the hard sciences, actually. I deal with proof, logic, data and all that.The stuff that's unimportant in your world of stories, I guess.

I live in a very "local" neighborhood. I spend a lot of time in local public schools, all over Oahu, on BI, on Molokai. I probably don't interact with as many young adults as you do / did. I know: college students, K-12 students, teachers, parents, my neighbors, lots of UH staff. They're still a pretty diverse bunch.

I never said this. But this all started because you were defending a comment that being white in Hawaii is like being black in a mainland city. Once again: NO. IT. IS. NOT.

It's way more complicated than just race in Hawaii, and the power dynamic is totally different. You may really truly believe it is the same.

You may not be able to walk away from the conversation, but I have way more interesting things to think about. So I'm done.
Consult the original post. The word same was never used, the word similar was used with specific examples of the ways it was similar. The only thing you have proven is that your experience in Honolulu is nothing like that of a young white male (which is who the original comment apparently came from). You presented ZERO facts, used the words hearsay and anecdote improperly, and at the end had nothing left but ad hominem attacks and a poor attempt at discrediting personal experiences and documented media as "stories". I will accept your concession.

Last edited by UHgrad; 10-02-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii