Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM

64 posts, read 173,295 times

Advertisements

LOL, you guys are a bunch of spoiled rich Americans.

I grew up in a house with 22 rooms, but you will never catch me acting like that.

OF COURSE I would live in an apartment for 700 on Oahu.

Try living in a 6 tatami mat BOX in Japan for a few years... It might do you some good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 PM

90 posts, read 279,893 times
The health care coverage they are talking about must be government provided, right? Otherwise, I haven't seen very good health care coverage AT ALL. We've only got two companies to choose from here unless we're employed by the government or out of state agency, last I checked. That isn't what I would consider even remotely 'good' coverage. And the actual health CARE as mentioned earlier? Agreed. AWFUL. At least on the Big Island it is. One general cardiologist for the entire island, and one bone doctor too. YIKES.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
I would disagree. The care you get is good, but you have relatively few choices for which provider you can utilize.

BTW, health care costs are now increasing due to the new Obama health care law. The reason is that it includes mandates to insurance companies to increase various coverages, including the coverage to dependents over the age of 18 (up to age 26). It has to be paid for, somehow.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Property rental and purchase is less than southern California or Chicago.
I've checked.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:30 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
rent looks cheaper then in Alaska.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
rent looks cheaper then in Alaska.
The post is about Oahu/Honolulu. Outer islands do have cheaper rents, but the jobs are in much lessor quantity as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
There is almost no bad area of Honolulu...(compared to the mainland).

Rents seem much higher in the metro NYC, DC, etc. areas. But the real bad neighborhoods do tend to bring down the average.

Generally though, if someone were looking to move to Honolulu or DC...the liveable areas of Honolulu are immense, and the liveable areas of DC are few and far between, and cost significantly more.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 27,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
$700 per month can get you a place in the leeward side, or a run down studio. In most cases tho, you are sharing an apartment or renting a room here at $700/month.
I look at craigslist every day and see multiple ads for studios and one bedrooms under $1000, many between $800 and $900, in the Waikiki, Kapiolani, Makiki, Mccully, and Moiliili neighborhoods. True, most of them are small and don't look super-posh or modern, but still there seems to be a steady availability of them.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
What a bullsh-t and racist article from the Hawaii Reporter!!

So what about the high East Asian population here! Nothing wrong with that.

How come no newspaper articles make a big fuss about the high hispanic population in L.A., Arizona and Texas?

How come no articles on the high population of blacks in the DC area? Huh?

If people from the mainland don't like the racial make-up here, they can always pack their bags and leave the island!

Lastly, the rent here is NOT the most expesive in the nation! Why don't these boneheads from the Hawaii Reporter rent an apartment in San Francisco or NYC area and see how much their monthly rent is!? My older brother is renting a freaking tiny studio in the Bay Area for $1350 a month!! Now that's major expensive!!
Where in the article or this thread was that mentioned? Where did any phantom "mainlanders" complain about the racial makeup? I think all the newspaper was doing was pointing out the unique aspects of Hawaii demographics (which included the much greater Pacific Islander and mixed race components). I think you're looking for "racists" elements when there are none.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Obviously, he didn't read the article. The info was straight from the Census:

"These are among the findings in the U.S. Census Bureau released data from its 1-year American Community Survey (ACS) for 2009 on September 28, 2010."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: