Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times

Advertisements

Excerpt from an article in the Hawaii Reporter:

Census: Hawaii has Highest Rent in the Nation, Most Asian Population, Among Findings

Hawaii has the Highest Rent in the Nation, the Highest Housing Value, Good Health Coverage, Most Asian Population, Most Multi-Generatuional Households, Highest Mixed Generational Households, and High Number of Elderly in Housholds.
These are among the findings in the U.S. Census Bureau released data from its 1-year American Community Survey (ACS) for 2009 on September 28, 2010.

The rest of the article can be read, here:

Census: Hawaii Has Highest Rent in the Nation, Most Asian Population, Among Findings | Hawaii Reporter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 PM

40 posts, read 126,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Excerpt from an article in the Hawaii Reporter:

Census: Hawaii has Highest Rent in the Nation, Most Asian Population, Among Findings

Hawaii has the Highest Rent in the Nation, the Highest Housing Value, Good Health Coverage, Most Asian Population, Most Multi-Generatuional Households, Highest Mixed Generational Households, and High Number of Elderly in Housholds.
These are among the findings in the U.S. Census Bureau released data from its 1-year American Community Survey (ACS) for 2009 on September 28, 2010.

The rest of the article can be read, here:

Census: Hawaii Has Highest Rent in the Nation, Most Asian Population, Among Findings | Hawaii Reporter

Maybe highest percentage of asians.
California has many more Asians. Id bet even the SF bayarea has many more Asians than Hawaii.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Most of those percentages are "per capita". Interesting that we have "good health coverage" however health CARE........? another story.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:10 AM

64 posts, read 173,256 times
I have to call BS on this.

I am from Washington D.C. and I have family in New York.

There is no way the rent is Hawaii is higher. You can get an apartment on Oahu for 700 bucks a month... it would be twice as much in D.C.. See for yourself on Craig's List.

Asian population? Yes.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomistick View Post

There is no way the rent is Hawaii is higher. You can get an apartment on Oahu for 700 bucks a month... it would be twice as much in D.C.. See for yourself on Craig's List.

Asian population? Yes.
LOL. Would you live in a $700 per month apartment on Oahu?

PS - Don't believe everything you read on craigslist....

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 PM

168 posts, read 726,407 times
i pay $650 to share a house w/ 3 other ppl. and everybody i've talked about rents with has told me i've got a pretty decent deal here. i'm not sure i'd even waste my time looking at an apartment that was $700 a month here.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Quote:

Asian population? Yes.
Really? No...$700 per month is not possible. A room, perhaps.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
$700 per month can get you a place in the leeward side, or a run down studio. In most cases tho, you are sharing an apartment or renting a room here at $700/month.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Quote:

Asian population? Yes.
But in NYC, you don't have to live in Manhattan... you can go a little ways out, pay lots cheaper rent, and take the subway to work.

There is no place on Oahu with cheap rent... no place to commute from. And even though it is *cheaper* if you go away from the heart of town, the commute would require investing in a car and sitting in traffic for hours a day... probably a break-even deal at best.

I might believe that on average Manhattan is more than Honolulu, but NYC is not more than Oahu on average, no way.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 PM

92 posts, read 351,253 times
What a bullsh-t and racist article from the Hawaii Reporter!!

So what about the high East Asian population here! Nothing wrong with that.

How come no newspaper articles make a big fuss about the high hispanic population in L.A., Arizona and Texas?

How come no articles on the high population of blacks in the DC area? Huh?

If people from the mainland don't like the racial make-up here, they can always pack their bags and leave the island!

Lastly, the rent here is NOT the most expesive in the nation! Why don't these boneheads from the Hawaii Reporter rent an apartment in San Francisco or NYC area and see how much their monthly rent is!? My older brother is renting a freaking tiny studio in the Bay Area for $1350 a month!! Now that's major expensive!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: