Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM

64 posts, read 173,583 times

Advertisements

Well, this valuable information took me well over 6 hours of searching on the net to find. Please enjoy.

U.S. Department of Labor Bureau:

[LEFT]Employment of massage therapists is expected to grow faster than average. Opportunities should be available to those who complete formal training programs and pass a professionally recognized examination, but new massage therapists should expect to work only part time until they can build a client base of their own.

Employment change. Employment of massage therapists is expected to increase by 19 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Employment will grow as more people learn about the benefits of massage therapy.

Continued growth in the demand for massage services will lead to new openings for massage therapists. The number of spas, which employ a large number of therapists, has increased in recent years and will continue to do so. At the same time, there are an increasing number of massage clinic franchises, many of which offer massages cheaper than at spas and resorts, making them available to a wider range of customers. In addition, as an increasing number of States adopt licensing requirements and standards for therapists, the practice of massage is likely to be respected and accepted by more and more people.

Massage also offers specific benefits to particular groups of people, whose continued demand for massage services will lead to overall growth for the occupation. For example, as workplaces try to distinguish themselves as employee-friendly, providing professional in-office, seated massages for employees is becoming a popular on-the-job benefit. Older citizens in nursing homes or assisted-living facilities also are finding benefits from massage, such as increased energy levels and reduced health problems. Demand for massage therapy should grow among older age groups because they increasingly are enjoying longer, more active lives and persons aged 55 years and older are projected to be the most rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population over the next decade. However, demand for massage therapy is presently greatest among young adults, who lack the concerns about massage that previous generations had.

Job prospects. In States that regulate massage therapy, opportunities should be available to those who complete formal training programs and pass a professionally recognized examination. However, new massage therapists should expect to work only part time in spas, hotels, hospitals, physical therapy centers, and other businesses until they can build a client base of their own. Because referrals are a very important source of work for massage therapists, networking will increase the number of job opportunities. Joining a professional association also can help build strong contacts and further increase the likelihood of steady work.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,157 times
>>Please explain to me how the job listings are "meaningless". My logic points a direct relationship between job listings and... well... jobs.

For starters, posting an ad on Craigslist is free. Sometimes a company will post an ad for a phony job in order to get the attention of employees that are not performing. The employees see the ad, know that the company is not expanding...UhOh. Better start doing my job!

It is very typical of government and hospitals to post job openings with no intent of actual hiring. This is done for two reasons: maintain a pool of applicants, just in case and to keep an open requisition open to maintain the budget amount without actually spending the money.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 25,774 times
Default Maui Homeschool Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Any thoughts on Homeschooling?

I would be really interested in doing that myself if we were to move to Hawaii. What's the Homeschool atmosphere there like?
There's a high ratio of homeschoolers on Maui, mainly transplants to my experience. (on soapbox) As a Scout leader, I worked with a number of homeschooled kids who's parents used Scouting as the main extracurricular activity. Based on the skills these kids exhibited, I had to question the rationale for and quality of home instruction these kids were getting. The local expression "opihi mom" comes to mind. That said... (off soapbox)

Home schoolers needing enrichment opportunities can contact:

1) Hui Malama Learning Center at 808.249.0111. They have programs in Wailuku, Kihei, and Upcountry.

Hui Malama Learning Center

2) The Kihei Charter school also has a K-8 "virtual academy" for home schoolers. Call 808.875.0700.

Kihei Charter School | Hawaii Charter School Administrative Office

Hawaii homeschooled kids eventually need to test out via the HI GED program at the Maui Adult School, call 808.873.3082, or surf to

Diploma, Test Method (GED) (http://doe.k12.hi.us/communityschools/diplomaged.htm - broken link)

Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomistick View Post
Well, this valuable information took me well over 6 hours of searching on the net to find. Please enjoy.

U.S. Department of Labor Bureau:
<snip>

Employment change. Employment of massage therapists is expected to increase by 19 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Employment will grow as more people learn about the benefits of massage therapy.

[/LEFT]
Keep in mind that this was written at least a couple of years ago, as evidenced by the date range given). In other words, before the economy got really bad.

I suggest contacting the Unemployment Office. They may have more current data.

But off hand, the figure quoted elsewhere that 4 out of 5 massage therapists can't find work sounds about right to me. "Yikes" is right.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmholm View Post
You'll most likely start off in an attached sublet (an "ohana") of a single family home, and it'll be small. You'll have chances to look for something bigger once you've settled in. Your daughter can get a reduced cost lunch at school. Make a point of eating breakfast/dinner at home, to cut expenses, even if you're working from a hot plate. There are a couple of thrift shops in Kihei.
This may require a little explanation. Hawai'i real estate has a unique feature not found elsewhere... the "ohana" dwelling. The word means "extended family," which reflects a significant piece of traditional Hawi'ian culture. My property is zoned R-1, which means 1 residence can be built on it. But a second building can be added, under ohana rules, as long as it does not have a kitchen. My downhill neighbor just built an ohana that is larger than the original house, but it is all bedrooms and bathrooms. The kitchen and living room remain in the original, built in 1934. By doing it this way, with 9' of separation, instead of as an attached addition, they avoided having to bring the original up to code, which would have been prohibitively expensive.

But ohana dwellings are not supposed to be rented, only lived in by family, like your auntie. So by definition, renting an ohana means you won't have a kitchen (ref: hot plate), and the rental will be illegal. It happens all over, all the time, with little problem... there's really no enforcement unless a neighbor complains... but you should be fully aware of what the deal is before renting one.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 AM

120 posts, read 1,168,393 times
Quote:
- schools: there is a regular public and a charter middle school in Kihei. The charter school is based on a science-project curriculum. You will not be able to afford a private school. It is possible to get a good public education in HI, but it requires attention on your part. Join the PTA and attend the meetings. You'll get the gossip on the good teachers, which you can then attempt to steer your child to. Review your daughter's homework to make sure she's getting it. My wife spent 6 years with the public school system, and on Maui, you won't find any teachers using pidgen in class. "Da kine" is taught out in the school yard, and a lot closer to English than Tex-Mex
You are kidding yourself if you think pidgen is not spoken in class by teachers. I have talked to numerous kids who tell me if happens daily. The term "good public education" is a relative term. There is a reason why so many people take second mortgages here to pay for 9th grade education. The schools here are terrible.

I would say on average they are at least two grades behind in their teaching. So a sixth grader is probably on par with a 4th graders education on a good public school on the mainland.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,727,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post

I would say on average they are at least two grades behind in their teaching. So a sixth grader is probably on par with a 4th graders education on a good public school on the mainland.

Now THAT is a scary thought because even the "good" schools are behind the world schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii