Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 PM

27 posts, read 67,828 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move to Hawaii this year from Homer Alaska; ideally I would like to wait tables at night and go to massage school during the day. I have read many posts and have spent some time on the Big Island and Ohau I do not care for Ohua it is really too busy for me. I am aware of the issues in moving to Hawaii the cost of living in pricey however it is very high where I am now, I do know that racisim can be an issue however I have never had a problem I have always been treated kindly my daughter is hispanic and I am hoping that might help her with this issue. I am moving with about $10,000 and plan to start looking for work intermediately I have worked as a medical biller for the last 5 years and do see quite a few medical office jobs posted although this is not what I want to be doing I can. I also am aware that jobs are not to plentiful but they are extremely scarce where I am coming from usually there are about 9 jobs listed in our paper weekly. My daughter is 13 and I am looking at putting her in a charter school. I am looking for some responses and opinions regarding my move....do you think its possible. I am a single mother divorced twice about to be 33 (yes twice When I am in Hawaii I feel this connection in my soul I want to be there I need to be there I love the people, the food and the peace. I come from a small town of about 5,000 I fully understand living remotely and I love it. My main concern is moving my daughter and if she will encounter seriouse issues at school and am looking for information on charter schools and good public jr highs. I am hoping after school I will be able to find a job at a resort. I do love the desert and am drawn to the dry side of the big island. I also looked at Maui because there are a lot of massage schools there but the cost of living seems to be more. I have been told Kauai is wonderful however there do not seem to be many jobs...do you think I could get one at a resort there? Which Island has the best schools?

I do apologize for the rambling post...I have so many questions and I do want to do what is best for my daughter..however I cannot last another dark cold winter in Alaska...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
You can't afford the best schools. They run to multiple thousands of dollars per pupil per semester. The rest of the schools are all run by the statewide Department of Education so they have a tendency to be pretty similar although the teachers and administration at each school does make a difference. There are some charter schools, I'm not sure how they are regulated since I don't really track schools.

Folks do say nice things about the public school in Pauuilo and several schools in Waimea (Big Island's Waimea) although I don't think those schools are DOE. There is also a DOE school in Laupahoehoe which is supposed to go over to a charter school soon. The Pauuilo and Laupahoehoe schools are both pretty small schools and along the Hamakua coast halfway between Hilo and Waimea. The Laupahoehoe school has a big library since it's part of the state library system and a community swimming pool nearby which the school uses. The Pauuilo school has a school garden which gets a lot of positive recognition. Not a lot of work in this area, though.

Have you considered starting a small business such as a house cleaning service? Perhaps a garden starting and tending service? I don't see massage as being able to support you in a manner you'd like to become accustomed to, but perhaps there is more massage work out there than I think there is. I don't particularly track it.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Tourism is way down, so restaurant jobs are way down. There is starting to be a slight improvement, because people still want to get married in Hawai'i, etc. but it's only slight. On the other hand, turnover at the resorts is always high. I'd suggest you make some inquiries before you get too far into a move.

I'm certified in 3 bodywork modalities, so I can tell you with authority that it is VERY hard to make a living at massage here. There's already a huge competition, and most of them I know here are starving. I also know very few people who last very long at massage, because it is very hard work physically.

Not to mention it's a little late to be making plans to avoid winter anywhere.

Not trying to discourage you, but this doesn't sound well thought out. Find someone who is really practical and go over your plans with them, and ask them to "shoot holes" in your plans, and see if you can't come up with some better alternatives.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Anything is possible. Where and when did you stay on the Big Island?? Is the $$ your bringing after and shipping? Are you shipping? If you toured the island you should have the lay out of the area. Cost of living depending on what type of houseing you want is most likely about the same as your paying now, except electric will be more. Kona has the vog.

Kona will have more possible opportunties for work, however it is like finding work in Homer during the summer season.Hard to just drop in and find a job. Massage is practiced by many many people. My SO sister did massage since 81 on Big Island and had a very difficult time in last couple of years. She worked on both sides of the island to try and make a living. She actually moved back to the mainland recently. I would expand your ideas for work. Also remember in Hawaii most employers hire 19 hours a week. Otherwise they have to provide ability for medical insurance. So you would have more than likely two jobs.

Schools are what they are. I don't have kids so can't really comment on it. My SO family just moved here with their two kids from Idaho and kids are fitting in fine. The also are active at home to continue their education. They were aware of the schools as the father was born and raised most of his schooling years here.

I would come over again and check things out before you made such a decision. I also can't blame you for not wanting another winter in Homer. Geezz especially after last summer which was my winter! I guess my thoughts would be how would you advise someone wanting to move to Homer? It may answer some of your questions. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,656 times
The good news is the schools are so bad here that your daughter will probably be valedictorian if she is a C student at her current school. She will also learn a second language in her English class. Its quite common for teachers to speak pidgin.

Otherwise expect a minimum of $10,000 a year for private schools. The educational system is horrid in Hawaii, its the main reason that people who have young children leave this islands. I work with the public and speak to many families who moved here before they had kids and once they have kids they have to leave.

When you ask parents who have children here how the school is the answer is ALWAYS the same. They pause for a minute, try to come up with something decent to say and then basically say "it is what it is" which is the nicest possible way of saying," my kids are not learning anything, I'm a little ashamed that I can't provide a better education for my kids and I am just glad they are not getting beat up."

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM

64 posts, read 173,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Tourism is way down, so restaurant jobs are way down. There is starting to be a slight improvement, because people still want to get married in Hawai'i, etc. but it's only slight. On the other hand, turnover at the resorts is always high. I'd suggest you make some inquiries before you get too far into a move.

I'm certified in 3 bodywork modalities, so I can tell you with authority that it is VERY hard to make a living at massage here. There's already a huge competition, and most of them I know here are starving. I also know very few people who last very long at massage, because it is very hard work physically.

Not to mention it's a little late to be making plans to avoid winter anywhere.

Not trying to discourage you, but this doesn't sound well thought out. Find someone who is really practical and go over your plans with them, and ask them to "shoot holes" in your plans, and see if you can't come up with some better alternatives.

Good luck!
That's interesting.

There are 24 massage jobs listed on craig's list in the past week. I have a really tough time believing that it is "VERY hard to make a living" doing massage. Go see for yourself on Craig's list.

One of my friend's friends is apparently thriving on the Big Island, where jobs are even more scarce. She says it's a fantastic job.

I'm wondering how you can say that massage therapists are "starving"...

Not only is the medical field doing quite well, it will continue to rise in the future. Also, I'm pretty sure that anyone working hard and doing their job well will be fine.

Physical burnout is real, but it can be dealt with by taking proper care of your body. I know a woman who has been doing massage well over 10 years and has had no problems.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Smile Assumptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
You can't afford the best schools. They run to multiple thousands of dollars per pupil per semester. The rest of the schools are all run by the statewide Department of Education so they have a tendency to be pretty similar although the teachers and administration at each school does make a difference. There are some charter schools, I'm not sure how they are regulated since I don't really track schools.

Folks do say nice things about the public school in Pauuilo and several schools in Waimea (Big Island's Waimea) although I don't think those schools are DOE. There is also a DOE school in Laupahoehoe which is supposed to go over to a charter school soon. The Pauuilo and Laupahoehoe schools are both pretty small schools and along the Hamakua coast halfway between Hilo and Waimea. The Laupahoehoe school has a big library since it's part of the state library system and a community swimming pool nearby which the school uses. The Pauuilo school has a school garden which gets a lot of positive recognition. Not a lot of work in this area, though.

Have you considered starting a small business such as a house cleaning service? Perhaps a garden starting and tending service? I don't see massage as being able to support you in a manner you'd like to become accustomed to, but perhaps there is more massage work out there than I think there is. I don't particularly track it.
Best to just ignore the assumptions and weed out the info you may need.
You will get some positive and productive input.
Koale

Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
I too an interested in moving from Alaska to Hawaii.
I wish you all the best. I think (based on nothing but my own thoughts) that moving to Hawaii is much like moving to Alaska. You just have to do it, pray, and leap forward.
Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomistick View Post
That's interesting.

There are 24 massage jobs listed on craig's list in the past week. I have a really tough time believing that it is "VERY hard to make a living" doing massage. Go see for yourself on Craig's list.

One of my friend's friends is apparently thriving on the Big Island, where jobs are even more scarce. She says it's a fantastic job.

I'm wondering how you can say that massage therapists are "starving"...

Physical burnout is real, but it can be dealt with by taking proper care of your body. I know a woman who has been doing massage well over 10 years and has had no problems.
I can say it easily because I know a lot of massage therapists. Remember, I am a long time bodyworker myself, certified in three different modalities. Most of the massage practitioners I know locally are only able to maintain a part time practice. People just don't have the money to spend on non-essentials right now. Even haircutters are starving, because people are stretching out their appointments, and skipping the profitable extras. A very good friend is a swedish massage practitioner filling in her schedule with medical patients and she makes about $7.50 an hour from the county. Another went back to grad school and got a Master's degree in Psychology because she could read the handwriting on the wall. She was in her late 30's when she came to that realization.

The number of listings on Craig's list is meaningless. And frankly, some of those listings are for sexual massage parlors. Sorry, but it's true. There are more of them than there are legitimate therapeutic places. Of course there are always openings in that kind of business, if you want to go that way. And they do tend to make more money than legitimate masseuses and masseurs.

"I know a woman who has been doing massage well over 10 years and has had no problems." That's pretty rare. Sure, you learn to take care of yourself, but your hands take a beating, and the toxic energies you absorb have to be eliminated, which can be difficult. It's not easy work, and most people don't make it to the 10 year mark on a full time basis, so it's not exactly a great career for the vast majority of people who go through massage school. And like being a yoga teacher, it seems like a great, wonderful, and groovy way to make a living, so people are flocking to get trained to do it, at the same time that overall demand has gone down.

Medical technologies and computer technologies are, overall, much better areas to get trained in right now.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM

64 posts, read 173,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I can say it easily because I know a lot of massage therapists. Remember, I am a long time bodyworker myself, certified in three different modalities. Most of the massage practitioners I know locally are only able to maintain a part time practice. People just don't have the money to spend on non-essentials right now. Even haircutters are starving, because people are stretching out their appointments, and skipping the profitable extras. A very good friend is a swedish massage practitioner filling in her schedule with medical patients and she makes about $7.50 an hour from the county. Another went back to grad school and got a Master's degree in Psychology because she could read the handwriting on the wall. She was in her late 30's when she came to that realization.

The number of listings on Craig's list is meaningless. And frankly, some of those listings are for sexual massage parlors. Sorry, but it's true. There are more of them than there are legitimate therapeutic places. Of course there are always openings in that kind of business, if you want to go that way. And they do tend to make more money than legitimate masseuses and masseurs.

"I know a woman who has been doing massage well over 10 years and has had no problems." That's pretty rare. Sure, you learn to take care of yourself, but your hands take a beating, and the toxic energies you absorb have to be eliminated, which can be difficult. It's not easy work, and most people don't make it to the 10 year mark on a full time basis, so it's not exactly a great career for the vast majority of people who go through massage school. And like being a yoga teacher, it seems like a great, wonderful, and groovy way to make a living, so people are flocking to get trained to do it, at the same time that overall demand has gone down.

Medical technologies and computer technologies are, overall, much better areas to get trained in right now.
Let's sum up your post in one word... "inconsistency".

Please explain to me how the job listings are "meaningless". My logic points a direct relationship between job listings and... well... jobs.

You claim that there are more sexual massage establishments on the island than there are legitimate ones. If people just "don't have the money to spend on non-essentials" as you said, how is the island so thriving with sexual massage places?

*lightbulb*

People are so poor on the island that they aren't getting their hair cut? People are cutting corners on their 12 dollar haircuts to save money for their 60 dollar fun time with their favorite sexual masseuse? So am I to arrive on the islands this March to see an island full of sexually satisfied long-haired hippies? Seems pretty ridiculous man.

The only people skimping on haircuts live in cardboard boxes. Nobody gets a happy ending before a freaking haircut. That's absurd.

I think you are misinforming everyone on this forum.

If people burn out so quickly as you say, then there would be a high demand for therapists. This counteracts your argument.

New people flock to the business? Why would they do that if the business is so clearly terrible like you say? People are stupid, but not stupid enough to jump out a window hoping they will fly.

Ok, so the market is flooded with newbies, but rather than being able to crush the newbie competition with your superior knowledge, skill, and experience, you and your buddies are all left homeless and struggling to find customers in the barren massage wasteland that is Hawaii?

Your post just doesn't add up, but if you want anyone to believe a word you are saying, let's see some evidence. Contrary to what you might think, I have a lot invested in moving to Hawaii to become a massage therapist, so if you prove that what you are saying is true, it would be hugely beneficial to know what I am truly up against.

Finding good information on the internet about this matter is REALLY tough.

However, here is evidence that you are wrong:

hawaii all jobs classifieds "massage" - craigslist

Massage Therapy in Maui : A Booming Business

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness...re-579939.html

Which Schools of Massage Therapy Best Suit You? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-Schools-of-Massage-Therapy-Best-Suit-You?&id=1716437 - broken link)

Media Corner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii