Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,570 times

Advertisements

Hello y'all,

I read a lot of postings here and also other online forums, spoke to people there, and also have met people live there. Some good things about it, and a lot of bad things like, bad schools, jobs, expensive, racism, etc.

After knowing, hearing all that, I have a few questions that I can't find any answers.

How can people afford the houses there? They're so bad but way too expensive. And I know the salary is lower than the mainland. How can people afford such expensive houses?

Are the schools really that bad? Do kids there don't study? (unless they go to really good public school or private school?)

Is it really rare to have 100K-150K salary jobs in Honolulu?

Do people catch cold/flu there?

Sorry, they may sound dumb, but I'm really curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiialoha View Post
Hello y'all,

I read a lot of postings here and also other online forums, spoke to people there, and also have met people live there. Some good things about it, and a lot of bad things like, bad schools, jobs, expensive, racism, etc.

After knowing, hearing all that, I have a few questions that I can't find any answers.

How can people afford the houses there? They're so bad but way too expensive. And I know the salary is lower than the mainland. How can people afford such expensive houses?

Are the schools really that bad? Do kids there don't study? (unless they go to really good public school or private school?)

Do people catch cold/flu there?

Sorry, they may sound dumb, but I'm really curious. Thanks.
The people can afford the houses because they didn't buy them. They inherited either the house or the money to buy it. Many, many people just rent.

Yes, in general, the public schools are that bad.

The flu season starts very early here and should be taken seriously. Flu shots are a good way to avoid it.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 AM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times
we have many families that live 2 and 3 generations in one house, some people rent rooms. yes schools are bad and yes you can still catch the flu or a cold here. I am sure there are some jobs that pay 100 to 150 a year but they would be few and far between and be something highly specialized

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
Quote:
Depends on which "there" you're talking about. Not everywhere is $650K homes. I live in Volcano, a half hour commute from Hilo, in a very nice area, and as I posted in another thread, when I walk down to the village market I walk past a couple of nice 3 BR 3 bath houses for sale under $300K, a couple for under $250K, and then down the street is an older one, but nice with a single bath, $169K. And there's a dozen more for sale nearby. Most of them have been on the market 3 or 4 months or more, and at least a couple of them could probably be purchased today under a sales contract for a small down payment and monthly payments to apply toward the purchase price, and then refinanced under a conventional mortgage once a 20% down payment had accumulated. It's the best buyer's market in decades.

Also, since ohana... or extended family... is such an integral part of Hawaiian culture, many families here get their entire ohana involved in the purchase.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,233 times
Those $300k homes in Volcano are probably not owned by a typical, working family. More than likely, it a retiree or a second home for someone on the mainland.
The typical, working family around the East side of the Big Island are the ones buying homes. Those homes can be had for $75k - $150k and the supply right now in unbelievable. Empty houses are everywhere. Many are foreclosures and are not even on the market.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Those $300k homes in Volcano are probably not owned by a typical, working family. More than likely, it a retiree or a second home for someone on the mainland.
The typical, working family around the East side of the Big Island are the ones buying homes. Those homes can be had for $75k - $150k and the supply right now in unbelievable. Empty houses are everywhere. Many are foreclosures and are not even on the market.
Actually the population here is split... lots of young professionals who have kids and commute to Hilo... lots of retirees... and a bunch of "second homers." This has always been a popular weekend and summer place for well-to-do Hilo folks... going back more than 100 years. Now it's becoming more popular with Honoluluites because it is cool and artsy here.

I didn't mention the house that sold last week at foreclosure for $75K because I did not want to skew the perception, but it was neither the first nor will it be the last. And we do have prominent examples here of that peculiarity of Hawi'ian real estate... that $169K house I mentioned is next door to a $1.25 million place.

But all in all, the cost of living on the BI is lower than elsewhere in Hawai'i, and property is readily available at all price points.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM

212 posts, read 401,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Depends on which "there" you're talking about. Not everywhere is $650K homes. I live in Volcano
I guess "there" is Honolulu, or within Oahu at most

Quote:

Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
hi my name is naboria and i was looking also to move to hawaii, have you found out anything good? i myself am from an island and living there is like living anywhere else. Puerto Rico is expensive too, and people live there. schools are bad in a lot of the states too, i dont think it is any difference than living anywhere else, i think i am gonna go visit first, i am just looking for a host family, i heard that this is a family that will rent a room to a visitor you know show me around take me to get a tatt, see how living there really is any ideas?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naboria daka View Post
hi my name is naboria and i was looking also to move to hawaii, have you found out anything good? i myself am from an island and living there is like living anywhere else. Puerto Rico is expensive too, and people live there. schools are bad in a lot of the states too, i dont think it is any difference than living anywhere else, i think i am gonna go visit first, i am just looking for a host family, i heard that this is a family that will rent a room to a visitor you know show me around take me to get a tatt, see how living there really is any ideas?
Naboria, I think you'd get a better response by starting your own thread. Call it something like "Looking for host family."

I also recommend you use the SHIFT key to capitalize your sentences, and break the above into at least two paragraphs for better readability. Don't be lazy when you are asking people for advice.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii