Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times

Advertisements

Okay I need some advice from people who already live on the Hawaiian Islands. I recently took a vacation to Oahu in early November and loved it. This was my 3rd trip to Oahu and I can't get enough of the weather and the location. I wouldn't mind moving out there someday but I'm sort of hestitate because I'm not sure what the job market is like. I'm a 34 y.o. male who's single, never married, no children, heck I don't even have a girlfriend right now. What's the job market like for a dentist on Oahu, let alone any of the other islands. I did talk to a few people while I was there and once I told them I was a dentist their eyes lite up like a lightbulb. I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem getting a job out there but what's the pay scale like out there and judging from the amount of money I spent on my vacation the cost of living seems pretty high too. Any suggestions would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
We can use dentists around here but you may want to check into how the insurance pays for work done. Apparently it isn't the lack of patients but the interface between the medical professional and the insurance companies which is less than stellar. Most folks get their insurance from work and is either Kaiser or HMSA.

Have you looked at the other islands? The living costs are less and you have a job which you can bring with you.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:33 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times
Kauai: Haven't been to a dentist out here yet but my mom is having substantial work done, and my sister and niece have both had work done. The dentist they go to charges very high prices (compared to upstate NY), does beautiful work, and judging by the waiting room, is plenty busy. He won't see anyone under 18 unless their parent is a patient (annoying for me, because my son needs to be seen before we can resume his orthodontic treatment and I don't happen to need anything, even a cleaning, right now).

Mom just had 2 simple extractions (basically rotted teeth) by an oral surgeon for $625.

I am thinking I might shop around (there are several dentists here) and see what others charge, and talk to some other people about who they see, and what they think. I can probably get you more info on prices charged here on Kauai.

My experience from NY was that most people either don't have dental insurance or if they do, the payment was very low. No dentists in my old towns of Ithaca and Cortland, NY took assignment from insurance. Most of my friends didn't have dental insurance at all. I had a pretty good coverage from the State of NY but it still didn't cover the usual and customary charges (which kept going up faster than the coverage, so I paid more for cleanings, fillings, etc. every year). I think the situation here in Hawaii is probably similar, maybe worse, in terms of typical coverage. You could contact HMSA or Kaiser and see whether their typical plans include dental coverage.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm a dentist near the poconos and I work in a clinic that sees patients only on medical access, basically low income patients and trust me I've seen quite a bit. I also practiced in philadelphia too so doing extractions and stuff like that is par for me. What is HMSA? I did hear that some of the other islands need dentists, especially Maui, I hear that place is booming and is only going to get better. I wouldn't mind working in a clinic somewhere in Oahu or another islands that serves the working poor because that's what I'm use to. I think most people hear the word 'clinic' and think the work is substandard. We do extractions, root canals, crowns, pretty much the same things they do in any other office. Like I said, being in this profession has it's advantages and I would think being a dentist I shouldn't have a problem getting a job out there somewhere. Keep the suggestions coming.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Okay, I've been sitting on the sidelines, but I'll ring in from Maui. We have -- basically (and from my experience) -- two kinds of dentistry practiced here: a kind of 1960s clinic with little or no privacy (or technology) and a not-quite-state-of-the-art "modern" practice (with digital x-rays, etc.). Both are very expensive (compared to similar work on the east coast, where I have also had work done during the past two years).

I would say that we could always use more talent -- especially for routine services. Several of our dentists practice a couple days here, a couple days there on the island, so you can't dependably get a crown glued back on or a wiki-wiki appointment for an abscess. I have been to two dentists in West Maui, both kamaaina, but guests have gone to at least three others (because of availability issues). Nobody has been "thrilled" with the results -- either the staggering cost or the "like 30 years ago" equipment -- although they were grateful for the relief.

My experience with dental insurance (single payer, not work-related) has not been great. Reasonable annual fees for "free" semi-annual exams and cleanings, but no pay-back for fillings, crowns, or other problems.

Being single and child-free, I see no reason not to move here. Especially if you are accustomed to everyday patients with everyday needs.

Best of luck.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM

There you have it, being single and child-free, that's the key right there! Although I just read another post that mentioned about moving there and only taking stuff you really need, basically a suit case of whatever you need and buy the rest of the stuff there. I'm definitely thinking about it, I have 1.5 years left on my contract here. The nice thing about where I work is that it qualifies for loan repayment, which, anyone coming out of graduate school these days knows is a big help. I do have an option for a 4th year if I want to stay, or if the board wants to keep me, and the state of PA will put even more money back onto my loan. After 4 years I'll have this student loan down to almost nothing. A few people have told me to stay here, make the money and save up as much as I can, and then go to Hawaii with tons of money in my pocket, apparently it'll be an easier transition if I do so. You are the second person to tell me that Maui is a good place to go, maybe I should consider some of the other islands before I commit to Oahu. Keep the suggestions coming.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM

And if anyone outs there knows of a dentist or a dental practice hiring or willing to take on an associate please to hesititate to let me know.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gld View Post
yes,wait a few depressionary martial law collapse years before going to hawaii to starve.
good luck!

Huh? Doom & Gloom??? Please explain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii