Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but I thought they outlawed selling realistic toy guns in the U.S. a long time ago?!
You can't get one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sorry, but I thought they outlawed selling realistic toy guns in the U.S. a long time ago?!
You can't get one here.
Actually, the absolutely realistic plastic 9mm Sig Sauer pistol I mentioned was at a WalMart in Austin, Texas.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Actually, the absolutely realistic plastic 9mm Sig Sauer pistol I mentioned was at a WalMart in Austin, Texas.
I totally believe you, but when my brother and I were kids (late 80s/early 90s) I clearly remember it was a big deal that our water guns looked like real guns and that those kind of toys would no longer be available without some distinguishing characteristic on it that marked it obviously a toy.

Maybe because bb/pellet guns are still dangerous (vs cap gun or water gun), they don't follow the same rules?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM

406 posts, read 866,426 times
Most of the toy guns I have seen recently have a bright orange cap over the muzzle (except BB guns and squirt guns).

Also, way back when, in ancient times, when I was a little shaver if you were out and about the neighborhood and did something wrong a neighbor would paddle you. Then when you got home, your parents would paddle you too. Kept most of us out of doing anything seriously wrong.

Mickey

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Most of the toy guns I have seen recently have a bright orange cap over the muzzle (except BB guns and squirt guns).
Yes, but on some of them the orange muzzle cap is rather easily snapped off, and anyone can cover them with a quick spritz of black spray-paint. The intention of this requirement was to prevent accidental police shootings of kids with toys, but the larcenous can easily bypass the intention.

And the toy manufacturers are pushing the limits hard, with authentic looking "black guns" of every ilk. A little dab of orange at the end doesn't change the fact that they are as realistic as possible, because realism sells.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 PM

406 posts, read 866,426 times
Well, the "larcenous" will always do whatever they want no matter what the law is. If we outlaw "guns", whether real or toy, we should probably outlaw knives because they can be used illegally also. Don't forget screwdrivers, baseball bats, hammers and numerous other items that are used to commit crimes up to and including murder. When I was a youngster we all had cap guns as one of the major cap gun manufacturers, Kilgore Manufacturing, was in our town. I don't know of anyone from our area that used a gun to commit a crime.

Maybe we should make the punishment fit the crime when one is committed instead of a slap on the wrist and a promise not to do it anymore and let them go.

In case you are wondering, I don't have a gun of any type at present. I do carry a pocketknife and have everyday since I was 10 years old - even at school, which was common back then. I feel undressed if I don't have it in my pocket. I got my first shotgun at 16 as a Christmas present. I have had several shotguns, rifles and pistols and archery equipment at different times, all used for hunting or target practice and to have on hand "just in case". My dad was a "hillbilly" and when he was growing up they had to go hunting when they wanted meat - they were very poor - and he passed the tradition down to us, although I haven't hunted in years. He also used his pocketknife as a tool, and passed that down too. I use mine at least once a day. I also own screwdrivers, chisels, hammers and so on but don't use them to commit a crime. We were taught to respect our tools, and a gun is a tool just like any other.

I also think that if we get rid of the "don't spank the kids" mentality and "everyone is great even if they can't add or spell so pass them to the next grade" mentality and bring back punishment for misdeeds in school that we would get more respect from the kids. From what I have read other places, they don't even teach things to Boy Scouts that they used to because it may be "dangerous". They may explain some of those things, but not let the boys do it themselves. If I am wrong about that, please let me know.

I was going to say don't get me started, but y'all have already got me going.

Mickey

Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Well, the "larcenous" will always do whatever they want no matter what the law is. If we outlaw "guns", whether real or toy, we should probably outlaw knives because they can be used illegally also. Don't forget screwdrivers, baseball bats, hammers and numerous other items that are used to commit crimes up to and including murder.
This argument is specious. Anything can be used as a weapon, but only guns are weapons by design. Which is precisely why criminals like to use them.

Quote:
I also think that if we get rid of the "don't spank the kids" mentality and .... bring back punishment for misdeeds in school that we would get more respect from the kids.
Might as well give this one a rest. Now that extensive research has proved that corporal punishment (i.e. spanking) actually makes kids more aggressive, there is literally no chance whatsoever you will ever see it return.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM

I thought the law was enacted bc an officer shot a kid who looked like he was wielding a real gun - but it turned out to be a toy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii