Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Hawaiians for the most part nurtured the land and took really good care of it, not just the land but the ocean.
Well, yes and no. I mean, they were human beings, not gods, so they did what people do... and sometimes some of them could be really stupid. From what I understand of it, the "native" people of Hawai'i, like the native peoples of North and South America, etc., were not so much omniscient about managing their aina, as they were beneficiaries of being small populations in a region of rich natural resources.

And in fact, rigorous scientific research shows that many indigenous peoples actually caused ecological catastrophes, hunting game into extinction, chopping down forests which changed weather patterns... it now appears the Sahara Desert might have been the result of a man-made disaster.

I honor the traditional cultures of Hawai'i, I really do, but I don't think over-romanticising the past is helpful.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, yes and no. I mean, they were human beings, not gods, so they did what people do... and sometimes some of them could be really stupid. From what I understand of it, the "native" people of Hawai'i, like the native peoples of North and South America, etc., were not so much omniscient about managing their aina, as they were beneficiaries of being small populations in a region of rich natural resources.

And in fact, rigorous scientific research shows that many indigenous peoples actually caused ecological catastrophes, hunting game into extinction, chopping down forests which changed weather patterns... it now appears the Sahara Desert might have been the result of a man-made disaster.

I honor the traditional cultures of Hawai'i, I really do, but I don't think over-romanticising the past is helpful.

Many people practice the "pick and choose method" when it comes to honoring the traditional cultures of Hawai'i. Which do you pick and chose to honor?
omniscient, Hmmm.... me thinks... that could be part of the Hawaiian culture is that you speak of? They believed in allot of things. Hawaiian people were very religious. they believe in allot of things the culture is vast. For the most part their omniscient way of thinking was part of their religion.

Native Hawaiians were stupid? Hmmm... for western contact? Up till western contact they were a thriving people enjoying their as you say "culture". Many of the things you speak of, I see as what the Westerners are famous for, Harrp, changing weather patterns. Hunting game to extinction, the Native Hawaiian are on the verge of extinction, because of?

What has Western civilization given the world?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Western Civilization.

Aloha

Old 04-22-2012, 01:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
"Up till western contact they were a thriving people enjoying their as you say "culture""

Enjoying their "culture" - everything I've ever read is that it wasn't particularly enjoyable and was a very brutal and not a tranquil society. What part did you think was enjoyable?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
"Up till western contact they were a thriving people enjoying their as you say "culture""

Enjoying their "culture" - everything I've ever read is that it wasn't particularly enjoyable and was a very brutal and not a tranquil society. What part did you think was enjoyable?
My point exactly. It's simply blind romantacism to believe that all was aloha until the white man came along.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:

living.... going from a population from over 400k to 40k don't you think those people whom had a breath to take enjoyed it?

Brutal? hmm.. as compared to? How the US conducts itself and its policies?
Here is a good read, someone's idea of the western civilization
The US Defeat in Iraq and the Persistence of White Supremacy, by Ajamu Baraka « Ajamu Baraka

The idea of the West’s civilizing responsibilities was always a constant and predominant rationalization in the “new world” conquest and genocidal policies toward Indigenous peoples – in this case, they needed to be destroyed in order to save them from their heathen ways. The populating of the Americas with enslaved Africans was also framed as a “Christian civilizing mission” that gave these otherwise idle human beings something more productive to do. But the benevolence of the White West did not stop there; enriched with the spoils provided by the Atlantic slave trade that created an industrial economic base which in turn enhanced their war-making abilities, Western powers took their civilizing mission global, building vast colonial empires where they could demonstrate to the peoples of the world how to more effectively use their natural resources and labor – by taking those resources and exploiting their labor.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
My point exactly. It's simply blind romantacism to believe that all was aloha until the white man came along.

My point exactly. It's simply put the western culture is always imposing itself on other cultures for the betterment of? themselves (period)

The White man feels as if the world has to live "their way" of life. If the sahara had some kind of natural resources or some financial gain or some strategic military advantage. the white man would be on it!!

people all around the world are not treated to what is seems as white mans way. China, Korea, Dafur... But, no the white mans decides to go and rescue Iraq? cause the people were not being treated right? WRONG, they went there for WMD's. China has WMD's their people are not treated

Afganistan? what did they do? still imposition. do you think they are allowed the romanticism of prior contact with white man? or should I say Us imperialism. The US is there pulling up their opium, why? is it not their lives? is it against Afghan laws?

I describe war as 2 people in combat. Iraq and Afghanistan its not a war the people are just defending their country, culture their belief in their version of Aloha. Their sovereignty.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
I'm sure the inhabitants of Hawaii found this enjoyable:

"Violating kapu even by accident was punishable by death. The aliʻi convinced the common people that they had inherited divine power (mana) and were completely chosen by the gods to rule. The aliʻi could take whoever committed any of these so called "sins" and use them for human sacrifices and sometimes bait for shark hunting. There were also ovens located at Punchbowl and Waikiki that were used for burning human bodies who broke a kapu. Commoners were drowned at Kewalo Basin for breaking the kapus. Human heads, of those offered in sacrifice, were put on stakes that lined the Pakaka temple at the foot of Fort Street (Downtown Honolulu). At the heiau located at the foot of Diamond Head, men had their limbs broken with clubs, their eyes scooped out, and then were left bleeding and maimed for three days. Then they were later clubbed to death with blows to the shoulders rather than to the head, this prolonged the suffering before death.

Yep, enjoyable. Sure makes me long for those good old days.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
The White man feels as if the world has to live "their way" of life.
OK, now that your bias clear, I'll bow out of the conversation.

The history of mankind has sadly included chapters of one group dominating another group by force or violence in every corner of the globe, and the conquerers have, at one time or another, been of every skin color. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is free of blame in this matter.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the inhabitants of Hawaii found this enjoyable:

"Violating kapu even by accident was punishable by death. The aliʻi convinced the common people that they had inherited divine power (mana) and were completely chosen by the gods to rule. The aliʻi could take whoever committed any of these so called "sins" and use them for human sacrifices and sometimes bait for shark hunting. There were also ovens located at Punchbowl and Waikiki that were used for burning human bodies who broke a kapu. Commoners were drowned at Kewalo Basin for breaking the kapus. Human heads, of those offered in sacrifice, were put on stakes that lined the Pakaka temple at the foot of Fort Street (Downtown Honolulu). At the heiau located at the foot of Diamond Head, men had their limbs broken with clubs, their eyes scooped out, and then were left bleeding and maimed for three days. Then they were later clubbed to death with blows to the shoulders rather than to the head, this prolonged the suffering before death.

Yep, enjoyable. Sure makes me long for those good old days.
Dude..... you talkin old sku. Then again it was part of the what the US like to call their penal code. Punishment was never enjoyable I guess it must be to you as the reason you posted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: