Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM

206 posts, read 466,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor96782 View Post
Aloha! I just found news on facebook about radiation coming from Japan,

Japan Nuclear Radiation In Hawaii Milk 2033% Above Federal Drinking Water Limits

Link :
Japan Nuclear Radiation In Hawaii Milk 2033% Above Federal Drinking Water Limits | Alexander Higgins Blog (http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/04/11/japan-nuclear-radiation-hawaii-milk-2033-percent-federal-drinking-water-limits-16130/ - broken link)
Thanks for that; it makes me glad I don't drink milk, or listen to nuclear industry hacks who the mainstream media put on a pedestal, where expertise is judged by how much economic interest you have in the future of nuclear power. Chernobyl did cause a spike in thyroid cancer as far away as the UK. Fukushima will have severe consequences, especially for people who already have health issues.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Thanks for that; it makes me glad I don't drink milk, or listen to nuclear industry hacks who the mainstream media put on a pedestal, where expertise is judged by how much economic interest you have in the future of nuclear power. Chernobyl did cause a spike in thyroid cancer as far away as the UK. Fukushima will have severe consequences, especially for people who already have health issues.

This was on our news this morning here.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Chernobyl did cause a spike in thyroid cancer as far away as the UK. Fukushima will have severe consequences, especially for people who already have health issues.
The nuclear crisis at Fukushima has reached "Level 7" on the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES), which is the same level that Chernobyl had...
Fukushima crisis now at Chernobyl level | The Japan Times Online
Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110412p2g00m0dm014000c.html - broken link)
N-crisis upgraded to '7' / Fukushima accident boosted to top level of global scale : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The nuclear crisis at Fukushima has reached "Level 7" on the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES), which is the same level that Chernobyl had...
Fukushima crisis now at Chernobyl level | The Japan Times Online
Japan ups nuke crisis severity to match Chernobyl - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110412p2g00m0dm014000c.html - broken link)
N-crisis upgraded to '7' / Fukushima accident boosted to top level of global scale : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
But the followups are all saying "No, it's NOT as bad as Chernobyl. Not remotely."

Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But the followups are all saying "No, it's NOT as bad as Chernobyl. Not remotely."
So far, it's not as bad as Chernobyl. Unfortunately, the nuclear crisis at Fukushima is still ongoing and it has the potential to be worse than Chernobyl...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Unfortunately, the nuclear crisis at Fukushima is still ongoing and it has the potential to be worse than Chernobyl...
Does it? A couple of key differences mentioned by analysts: Chernobyl involved a reactor melting down and exploding while it was running at power; Fukushima was shut down before the cooling issues arose so remediation is vastly easier. Chernobyl had no containment vessel; Fukushima has an intact containment vessel.

Not to say it's not a bad mess, but the constant updates on what does not to be a serious issue outside the immediate area is not useful, in my view.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

International Atomic Energy Agency says: "Fukushima is no Chernobyl."
YouTube - "Fukushima is no Chernobyl" say nuclear experts

For one thing, the scale only goes up to 7. On that scale, it has been said, Chernobyl was a 9.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Does it? A couple of key differences mentioned by analysts: Chernobyl involved a reactor melting down and exploding while it was running at power; Fukushima was shut down before the cooling issues arose so remediation is vastly easier. Chernobyl had no containment vessel; Fukushima has an intact containment vessel.
Another key difference is that the 1986 Chernobyl incident was a "massive problem" with a single reactor, while the current crisis at Fukushima consists of "major problems" at four reactors. Unfortunately, at least one of the Fukushima reactors is having a problem with its containment vessel and contaminated water is leaking into the Pacific Ocean. As for "remediation", TEPCO is pretty much relying upon temp workers who might not be the best-equipped or trained folks for the job.

Quote:
Not to say it's not a bad mess, but the constant updates on what does not to be a serious issue outside the immediate area is not useful, in my view.
Considering that the world is interconnected, it can be quite useful to be well-informed on serious issues that might have an eventual impact upon me. While the news media tends to sensationalize minor things, like "traces of radiation found in Hawai'i milk", it's useful to know about it and observe the fluctuations in milk prices.
Traces of radiation found in isle milk - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

In addition, there are opportunities in disasters. Based on the constant updates on what was occurring at Fukushima, savvy folks that "shorted" TEPCO's stock after the initial explosion at the first reactor ended up making a small fortune.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There are only two dairies in Hawaii and we live right next to one of them. My neighbor has a Geiger counter set up and running since the tsunami and she says no worries. So no need to check the newspapers or read somebody's blog from somewhere far away. My neighbor will let me know if and ever we get any sort of radiation level to worry about.

Now if folks are gonna get in a panic about their food supply, perhaps we could look into fireweed and cow pastures? I'm seeing a lot more fireweed all over the place these days. Is that a problem?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM

32 posts, read 70,012 times
Count your blessings Chernobyl | Magnum In Motion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: