Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
We have some good local seaweeds we can eat for iodine here in Hawaii. Personally, I do hold in higher regard what is coming from independent environmental watchdogs than I do Tokyo Electric or BP, etc. We don't know how extensive the meltdown will be yet, or what way the wind will shift, so there is really no definitive prediction. Time will tell whether radiation will arrive here or not, but you'll receive the same line from the nuclear industry no matter what.
Some NRA talking head declared "nuclear power is safe" today...yeah, right. Industry knobgobbler.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM

206 posts, read 466,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Some NRA talking head declared "nuclear power is safe" today...yeah, right. Industry knobgobbler.
Yeah. I have solar panels on my roof; if they stop working, they just stop working. There is no toxic radioactive cloud released, entire villages don't have to be evacuated, and the global community doesn't have to be on alert for potential fallout. I think that's closer to my definition of safe...

Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
That said, I've been waiting years for the black helicopters and lizard people to come and lock us all up in FEMA Camps once the Police State is in full-effect.
No, as long as you have 9 plants or less they won't bother you. They're really after the big time growers.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
PacificFlights:

Thats quite reasurring considering I live in the Northwest .

OpenD:

I appreciate your explanation. I'm not too worried, as long as I don't pay any mind to what PacificFlights is saying . I am assuming he's pulling my leg.

Mahalo,
Kelly
Actually, he's not. IF there is any radiation floating around in the sky that starts in Japan, the air currents will carry it pretty much on the path PacificFlights said. However, so far, nobody is even sure if there is/was/or will be radiation which could wander that far.

From what my friend with the Geiger counter said, there are several things one can do to lessen the impact of radiation - IF it should appear in the first place, of course. Shutting the windows to keep out radioactive particles, wearing long sleeved clothing (and long pants, too, one would assume), basically being covered while outside and then showering when coming inside. Not drinking milk from cows in the radiation's path is another big thing. However, all these things are for after any radiation appears, there's nothing you can do before hand, really to prepare.

Hey! Here's how to prepare! Go on a Hawaiian vacation so you would get further away from the radiation.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
Great advice Hotzcatz for vacation! Seaweed is the only thing I am looking at also "if" without potasium. I just want to stay postive about (as much as can for Japan) that things months later will look good. Unfourtantly for Japan and its people. Not an ostrich in the sand but not going into the Hawaiian islands are going to hell.What I have seen "if" OR and WA will be hardest hit with isles in AK.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM

209 posts, read 722,114 times
I am going to remain optimistic that none of us will see any substantial radiation in Hawaii or Oregon, or anywhere else for that matter. Yes, a Hawaiian vacation sounds wonderful.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 PM

64 posts, read 173,278 times
The mass media scare right now is the most shameful I have seen in human history.

I am 200 miles away from the plant in Fukushima, typing from my apartment in Yokohama, Japan, and I am not even slightly worried about the radiation.

Worrying about the radiation in Hawaii would be laughable if not for the fact that it would be borderline insane.

This event has truly woke me up to how disgusting the media truly is.

Please don't buy into the hype.

It is insulting to us as intelligent individuals that the media would sell us this.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 PM

209 posts, read 722,114 times
Lomistick;

You are absolutley right. It is rediculous for any of us to buy into this media scare. Right now, I'm completely in awe of the brave 50 men that are working around the clock at the plant. They are the ones in danger of the most radiation and they just keep going. Thats amazing!!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Media just wants to sell newspapers and subscriptions. If they didn't sensationalize everything they can make up, nobody would buy their product. "Radiation Mutates Godzilla Monster Seen Lurking in Japan's Harbors" is going to sell more newspapers than "Japanese Heroism Saves the Islands".

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
According to all the evidence I've seen (I'm an engineer who served on a nuclear submarine), the nuclear accident in Japan is about equivalent to the accident at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania in 1979.

Here's what the radiation results were from the Three Mile Island accident (from Wikipedia):

Main article: Three Mile Island accident health effects
In the aftermath of the accident, investigations focused on the amount of radiation released by the accident. According to the American Nuclear Society, using the official radiation emission figures, "The average radiation dose to people living within ten miles of the plant was eight millirem, and no more than 100 millirem to any single individual. Eight millirem is about equal to a chest X-ray, and 100 millirem is about a third of the average background level of radiation received by US residents in a year."[

That's the result on people within ten miles of the accident. Hawaii is three thousand eight hundred miles from this accident.

In other words, there is zip-squat-nothing chance of radiation danger in Hawaii from this event.

Kelly, if you move from Oregon to Hawaii, you will increase your radiation exposure - from that background radiation we all get from our nuclear sun - it's stronger nearer the Equator.

Last edited by HankDfrmSD; 03-18-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: