Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times

Advertisements

When in Hawaii no work... Wake up around 7:30 make coffe sit on lania watching ocean looking for whales (winter only) check computer, take dog for 3.3 mile walk looking for whales. Read history of islands book - 12:00 go to beach drive - after drive go to beach 1pm read some more do crossword puzzle- read paper - have a few coolies. 5:30 met up with friends home by 7pm Bed by 8:30. Normal if not camping (which is half of season) just repeat camping. Work in AK by butt off literally and put it back on in winter in Hawaii. Weds and Sundays put in Farmers market for weeks food. Forgot input swimming cooling off in water into the day. Fishing if camping.

Other example - the kids that moved over this year - 30yrs old with 11 old gal 6 yr old boy. Wake kids up at 5am feed. Get ready for bus - loaded 6am. Depending on the day Dad works 19 hours a week now detailing cars in Hilo - carpenter on the side. Mom works opposite schedules at Sears 19 hours a week. Even though been there for almost a year still no set schedule and can get called in. Days off together do not exsist. Mom couple days a week has more interviews for possible full time job. Dad off and on for more carpenter jobs under the table.

Kids, Mom Dad completly happy. Helps Dad was raised on BI moved when late teenager and back knowing exactly what they were getting into. Kids for most part doing good in school. But no one is anymore all together at home except late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM

25 posts, read 59,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Other example - the kids that moved over this year - 30yrs old with 11 old gal 6 yr old boy. Wake kids up at 5am feed. Get ready for bus - loaded 6am. Depending on the day Dad works 19 hours a week now detailing cars in Hilo - carpenter on the side. Mom works opposite schedules at Sears 19 hours a week. Even though been there for almost a year still no set schedule and can get called in. Days off together do not exsist. Mom couple days a week has more interviews for possible full time job. Dad off and on for more carpenter jobs under the table.

Kids, Mom Dad completly happy. Helps Dad was raised on BI moved when late teenager and back knowing exactly what they were getting into. Kids for most part doing good in school. But no one is anymore all together at home except late at night.
I think this is an excellent observation that I hope people find when asking about a potential move with kids. Well summarized and written without bias, just it is what it is.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Aloha...
Please tell me what you do on an average day. If possible, how much money you earn, and how you budget..or at least give me a feel for your particular life style. I'm curious as to how the Hawaiin natives/residents on this board live and support themselves.
Or what type of lifestyle is popular here.
Thanks.
Ps) how would a hard working, single mom who is on a budget fare?
Any suggestions/ideas?
I work 5-6 days a week and spend the rest of my time relaxing at home, snorkeling, at the beach, or engaging in some of my hobbies. Pretty much like anyone else. I suppose.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
Wake up at 6, shower, put the surf clothes on
Take wide to work, head to Sandy Beach, get concussion
Explore, hike, drive, eat lunch, do stupid stuff, head to the Waikiki pier and get advice on body bording from the vetrans.
Pack up, pick up the wife from work, shower, go out for dinner, read go to bed
Repeat.

And It Just Keeps Getting BETTER!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM

77 posts, read 212,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Wake up at 6, shower, put the surf clothes on
Take wide to work, head to Sandy Beach, get concussion
Explore, hike, drive, eat lunch, do stupid stuff, head to the Waikiki pier and get advice on body bording from the vetrans.
Pack up, pick up the wife from work, shower, go out for dinner, read go to bed
Repeat.

And It Just Keeps Getting BETTER!
That DOES sound nice...but didn't you warn people about Sandy Beach a while ago? Something about neck breaking waves or something? Or was that someone else? I'll have to go check that place out from a distance when we get there.

This has been a cool thread to read!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM

140 posts, read 407,414 times
our average day:

husband wakes up at 5, leaves the house around 5:30. at work by 6:15.
i'm up at 7, leave for work around 8:30. at work by 9.
husband gets off work around 3, gets home around 330-4 depending on traffic.
i get home around 630-7, later if i do shopping or etc.
make dinner, watch some tv, go to bed. sleeping by 11 or 12.

weekends are for hobbies and and fun stuff.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
That DOES sound nice...but didn't you warn people about Sandy Beach a while ago?
I'm learning the local way.
When I asked someone where a good place to try body bording the told me "Sandy Beach!".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/18154088-post12.html

I consider it an initiation to Hawaii.
I learned there, that if you dont respect the island, it WILL kill you.
'ya just can't TELL people that. Sandy is a good spot to learn it.

PS A person did die the first month I was there and another got carried away in an ambulance

Last edited by Tenzo; 05-04-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM

77 posts, read 212,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
I'm learning the local way.
When I asked someone where a good place to try body bording the told me "Sandy Beach!".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/18154088-post12.html

I consider it an initiation to Hawaii.
I learned there, that if you dont respect the island, it WILL kill you.
'ya just can't TELL people that. Sandy is a good spot to learn it.

PS A person did die the first month I was there and another got carried away in an ambulance
Oh my goodness! I'll just go to watch - I don't need any help injuring myself, I already visit the ER at least a few times a year. I'll heed your warning And that picture you posted looks so peaceful and pretty...I can see why people would be skeptical of that sign.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
Oh my goodness! I'll just go to watch - I don't need any help injuring myself, I already visit the ER at least a few times a year. I'll heed your warning And that picture you posted looks so peaceful and pretty...I can see why people would be skeptical of that sign.
huh, don't let me scare you away. There are a lot of places worse.
I got back on the horse two days later.

I visit the ER on a regular basis also.
But that's not all bad.
I ended up marrying an ER doc

Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
My son's best friend broke his back body surfing at Sandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: