Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times

Advertisements

Yikes. That REALLY SUCKS. Sorry to hear this happened, and glad you didn't get all the balls in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM

102 posts, read 171,345 times
Default Oh no!

This is such sad news. I am so sorry that you all went through this. Thanks for your good advice.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 AM

17 posts, read 130,641 times
Default So sorry

Dear Sunny Side,

I am so sorry to read about your family's experience - I know it has affected you & your children as well. I deeply appreciate that you have taken the time to post your experience and offer it as a painful warning to the rest of us. My stomach flipped over when I read your post; I can easily imagine that I would assume all was well & that paperwork was in the mail.

My best wishes for you, your husband and family. May Karma kick some serious %*ss on your behalf!

JayBeeNOLA

Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 AM

155 posts, read 544,731 times
Thank you for posting. Hawai'i isn't all paradise. It has down sides too. Thank you for being honest. Lisa ;-)

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM

36 posts, read 102,033 times
Hi,

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. We're feeling a little better but, still surprised how this happened.

We are still interested in relocating but, it may be sometime before my husband applies for another position in Hawaii. Does anyone have any thoughts as to preventing this from happening again? Something that came to mind was not accepting an offer for a job unless the company pays part of our moving expenses. I know that this would probably discourage some employers. But, if they had a financial interest in the offer they may be less likely to back out or change the terms. Just an idea.

I decided I'm just going to treat all my packed boxes like I usually do when we move. Ignore them for awhile.

S

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Sad to hear this, but maybe it happened for a reason, and things will work out for the best. I've heard Hawaii is a challenging place to work if your not from there. Had two colleagues work in the refineries out there. Both were essentially shunned by locals. Had a sibling take a job there in hospitality management. She left after a week due to racial and sexual harrassment. She had worked in kitchens before and was used to salty language and attitudes, but said it was nothing like this. To this day I boycott the islands.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 130,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpS View Post
Hi,

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. We're feeling a little better but, still surprised how this happened.

We are still interested in relocating but, it may be sometime before my husband applies for another position in Hawaii. Does anyone have any thoughts as to preventing this from happening again? Something that came to mind was not accepting an offer for a job unless the company pays part of our moving expenses. I know that this would probably discourage some employers. But, if they had a financial interest in the offer they may be less likely to back out or change the terms. Just an idea.

I decided I'm just going to treat all my packed boxes like I usually do when we move. Ignore them for awhile.

S
Hi Sunny,

Been thinking...I too am looking to move to HI, likely Oahu at first. I've been looking at some of the exec recruiters there, esp Bishop & Co. & Inkinen & Assoc. My guess/hope is that pursuing and landing) a position through a local recruiter may ensure protocol is followed through HR channels, as the recruiter gets paid by employer. Perhaps other members have some ideas, or experiences to support, refute?
JayBee

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM

119 posts, read 376,795 times
I'm so sorry this happened to your husband it happened to me once, not in Hawaii but in Europe, luckily I was single, young, didn't own any property, and moved to another country just with my suitcases ... so I bounced back pretty quick

I think your attitude is correct, in the future don't move somewhere unless the company is willing to pay for relocation. This might slash your chances greatly to get the job if they decided it will be cheaper to hire someone locally, but at least your family will be safe from the stress and monetary loss.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySideUpS View Post
You may find your chances cut to near nothing. Unless in ahigh demand, low candidate field, companies on Hawaii does not often pay relocation expenses and even if they agree to pay, they dont pay until they make the final decission so you would still be in the same boat.

What hapens is that for decades employers would hire off island candiates and get burn because people will change their mind on the employer and back out. I heard some employers say they hire someone and after offer letters and start dates, that person never shows up and never calls back. I know it hurts something bad when this happens but employers are only doing whats been done to them for sooo long.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
To insure it doesn't happen again have the people write a simple statement about the fact that the job is yours and starting date. With date and signature it doesn't' matter if it's written on scratch it's still a legal document. If they hedge and can't provide some written assurance you have your answer.

So sorry this has happened to you; I truly respect your character to not disclose the name even though it would serve them right. Karma works in mysterious ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii