Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times

Advertisements

When I moved here, I got an ABF U-Pack cube, had friends help me pack & load it, and then unpacked myself when it got here.

I've got friends coming soon, and for various reasons they don't want to pack their own stuff, but they're having trouble finding movers to Hawaii (ones who will pack and move their stuff) with good reviews. Just wondering if anyone on this board has recommendations to pass along.

(Note: their relocation expenses are being covered, and they are pretty clear on wanting to use movers, so please no lectures about sell everything instead or use PODS or whatever. Thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 PM

159 posts, read 367,434 times
Default Packing & Moving from CA to HI

So far the only quote I received with packing, disassemble/reassemble/wrapping of furniture is from Hawaiian Van Lines.

They're standing BBB is A- and I haven't found anything too negative about them online.

Nicole in Honolulu is very helpful, her number is 877-299-6799. We haven't made a final decision on movers yet since we're still selling off extras from a 3 bedroom.

Good luck to your friends.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
What state are they coming from? Southern Winds has lots of good reviews. They're in San diego.
Have them check out movingscams.com or .org...They also have good reviews & recommendations.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
We shipped a container through Matson, and had our local Mayflower movers load the container for us. If we had wanted to pay a little more, they would have also packed everything in addition to loading the container.

It really wasn't hard to set this all up. Matson delivers the container to your house, and you have ten days to load it. So I scheduled Mayflower to be there within that ten day period. We hired some local guys on this end to unload the container.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Royal Hawaiian Movers will coordinate a door to door service for you.

Watch any mover like a hawk and never leave when your stuff is being packed out. Also when they show up they will inevitably say " no one told us we had to pack boxes lady ". Be sure you have your agreement handy.

Work directly with the people at Royal Hawaiian, not some "relocation" middle man.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
I'm actually in the starting stages of moving to Big Island using Cardinal. They were the best price I found door to door...and even coming from Florida!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Rememeber that if you hire a local company ont he mainland to move you, they are not going to ship that truck from your house to the house in Hawaii and they are not going to pay the airfare and hotels for their people to go to Hawaii to mve you into your home. They will likely use their company and crew localy and sub contract with a broker for all the other services. the quality of the move is only as good as the lowest quality of any subcontractor. Same goes if you hire a hawaii mover to move you to Hawaii from someplace else. they are not sending empty trucks and crews to you, they also use sub contractors.

You may also have to deal with tranfer crews who will unload the moving truck and pack it into containers. All these popel are weak links in the chain. No matter how good a company you use, ionce its not in their hands, anything can happen. If you go to the Moving forum on CD there is tons of valuable info that explains the long-distance moving process and all the pit-falls. The number one complaint is that once out of the hands of the person you contract with, bad things can happen. The lower the price, the lower the sub contract bids they have to use.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Thanks for all the suggestions... I've passed them along. (They are coming from Georgia, near Atlanta, if anyone has experience with that.)

Keep the ideas coming, if you've got them!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
When I moved here, I got an ABF U-Pack cube, had friends help me pack & load it, and then unpacked myself when it got here.

I've got friends coming soon, and for various reasons they don't want to pack their own stuff, but they're having trouble finding movers to Hawaii (ones who will pack and move their stuff) with good reviews. Just wondering if anyone on this board has recommendations to pass along.

(Note: their relocation expenses are being covered, and they are pretty clear on wanting to use movers, so please no lectures about sell everything instead or use PODS or whatever. Thanks!)
I used Stevens International. My only complaint was their initial estimate was low, but they were great (Royal Hawaiian on the HI end) and everything arrived on time and undamaged. To be fair, I had over 300 boxes, to there was some reason the estimate came in a bit low.

We packed the boxes ourselves.

I tipped the guys $30 each and had water and Gatorade available and some light snacks. That goes a long way.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 11,507 times
Default the big move

Can't remember if you said they where they were moving to? if its the big island ? then when? I am correnating a move right now and will have room in my container! additionaly if any know anyone needing room in a container pass my info along please thanks have a good day all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: