Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM

44 posts, read 137,814 times

Advertisements

Well, here I am, trying to decide of moving either to US Virgin Islands or Hawaii. I currently live in Rochester, NY, am looking for a change of pace. Im 33, single, and have no issues with manual labor. I do have 2 degrees, but im looking for something simpler for a while. I can cook a turd, and make it taste like chocolate, Im a dj, and there is no profession I could not master. I am backed by my family for this idea, so money wont be the first concern, but i am in no way rich, just secure.
Urban living is what i am used to, and i have a lot of friends from Jamaica here, so I dont think racial issues should be a problem(I am Russian by birth, but people often confuse me for one of Puerto-Rican ties, mainly to my olive skin), and what I really want to know, what should I really know before I make this choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Добро пожаловать!
I will ask this question of you, What is it about Hawaii that makes you think about moving to the island? What do you think it is, what do you think it will be like? To be blunt, something has made you think hawaii is a location you want to be (and often that turns out to be not the whole reality) and knowing what you expect will help answer your question.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
for the sole reason of your family and friends being in NY I would pick USVI, way cheaper to fly home for emergencies and visiting people and having people visit you

Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
What hothulamaui has mentioned is a very good point. Being really far away from family makes visits much more difficult. We have some relatives on the East Coast and rarely visit them (about once every decade) just because the flight to and from is so brutal. When we have relatives on the West Coast, we visit them about every other year.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM

159 posts, read 367,575 times
Or maybe Fanthom wants to have 5000 plus miles between him/her and the family?!?

There's a reason that my dad is in Amsterdam and I'm in Los Angeles. Love the man but... Once every 18 months is good.

I sent one e-mail about moving to Oahu, got a call, we're coming in Oct/Nov. Dang, should have waited!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM

i spent 2 weeks in Maui a few years back. besides hawaii being what it is, the Medical Marijuana Laws attract me there the most. Besides that, i want to work hard to be able to enjoy Hawaii and all it has to offer.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM

well, no, my family are the ones helping me. i just love the laid back ways of the land, and i am a prime candidate for Medicinal Marijuana. its the cherry on top for me, not the milkshake.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
I have never been to the US Virgin Islands. That said, IF my family(or anyone) was paying the bill, we would already be in Hawaii!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 AM

I wouldnt say they are paying the bill, just helping me get set up, and have my back IF i need it!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What hothulamaui has mentioned is a very good point. Being really far away from family makes visits much more difficult. We have some relatives on the East Coast and rarely visit them (about once every decade) just because the flight to and from is so brutal. When we have relatives on the West Coast, we visit them about every other year.

That part I am not worried about. both my parents are college professors, and me living in their favorite spot, it would just give them more reason to come visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii