Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamencho View Post
Like winkosmosis said, many of the in-demand jobs are low-paying. According to the Hawaii Dept. of Labor, the Top 10 occupations with the most predicted job openings in Hawaii are: 1) waiters/waitresses, 2) retail salesperson, 3) cashiers, 4) fast food workers, 5) elementary school teachers, 6) security guards, 7) home care aides, 8) registered nurses, 9) secondary school teachers, and 10) customer service representatives.

In that list, the only occupation that makes really good money is registered nurses. If you are open to going back to school for two years and don't mind blood (and other bodily fluids), you really can't go wrong with becoming an RN. There is a huge demand for them across the U.S., including Hawaii, and they make a good living.
Moderator cut: Members with less than 10 posts are not allowed to make recommendations.

Good luck!
Are you kidding? Are you really going to tell people that RNs make good money and there is a huge demand everywhere? Please check out your facts before you spread really bad rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 50,506 times
unfortunately tyvin is right, the nursing market is abysmal right now. experienced nurses are being let go, and new nurses have problems breaking into the market. quite a reversal from the acute nursing shortage just a few years back, which brought in nurses from across the world, philipines, nz, australia, etc. agency may still have some decent positions, but that is because hospitals don't want to commit to funding a staff.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 PM

236 posts, read 648,844 times
Sorry to hear about the Hawaii RN market. It sounds like Hawaii still needs better medical care, including nurses. But I guess they can't be afforded right now.

But in Sakamencho's defense, RN's are in generally strong demand in most states, as the population grows older and needs more care. And average salaries are around $60K, starting around $40K. That's probably in the top-third of U.S wage-earners (in the highest-wage large country on the planet), so I'd say that's pretty good money by any reasonable definition. (Average salary is $80K in Hawaii.)

Registered Nurse Salary | RN Salary, Pay, Wages, and Income in Registered Nursing

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Folks who survive in Hawaii usually do it by keeping their expenses low and being flexible as well as part of the community. A lot of the jobs are by word of mouth and a lot of the perks are by being part of the ohana.

A friend of mine is doing well with a small lawn care business. He started it several years ago when he lost his job due to downsizing. Another friend of mine has been doing well for a really long time with a house cleaning business. If you are working for yourself then the pay isn't too bad. They both make roughly $20 an hour. They get to write off a lot of expenses, too, so their taxes aren't all that high.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM

406 posts, read 866,031 times
If you can't find a job, create one. Yeah, I know it's hard to get started and will cost you a bit to start but if you have a hobby it can be the start of a good income maker.

Like to carve wood? Make walking sticks and canes. Build inexpensive musical instruments - cigar box ukuleles and guitars. Make glass beads. Make jewelry. As you can see, I've put a bit of thought into "supplemental income producers".

At 73 years old, I'm "over qualified" for most jobs in my field - electronics, computer maintenance. I do feel I can do other things to help keep beans on the table along with my retirement income. I feel that also keeps my brain from withering away.

Several years ago I took a class in glassblowing and I am planning on making glass "things" to sell. I love working hot glass. And there are some great glassblowers in Hawaii.

I also like working with wood. I've made walking sticks, I've made a guitar, I am about to make a cigar box guitar and a wine box bass.

Don't think these can make money? Google cigar box guitars and see what they can sell for. Check out Kona Walking Bass - they ain't cheap, but they are built in Hawaii. Check out pan-flutes - there is a very good pan-flute maker in Hawaii. Check out Native American flutes. I have one that is made of bamboo.

What I am getting at is quite a few of these things can be made with very limited tools, sometimes using found materials and can bring in money, or as was done by the hobos during the depression, traded for food.

Just tryin' to make y'all think a bit.

Mickey

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
Sorry to hear about the Hawaii RN market. It sounds like Hawaii still needs better medical care, including nurses. But I guess they can't be afforded right now.

But in Sakamencho's defense, RN's are in generally strong demand in most states, as the population grows older and needs more care. And average salaries are around $60K, starting around $40K. That's probably in the top-third of U.S wage-earners (in the highest-wage large country on the planet), so I'd say that's pretty good money by any reasonable definition. (Average salary is $80K in Hawaii.)

Registered Nurse Salary | RN Salary, Pay, Wages, and Income in Registered Nursing
I advise nursing students and new grads on several online forums and there is no strong demand in most states. As far as $60,000 being a good salary for an RN it isn't even close for what we do. Your average for an RN in Hawaii gave me a good chuckle. Yes those salaries exist for a few of us but not for long ... don't believe everything you read. I like MickeyE's idea. Certainly gave me food for thought.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Yup, MickeyE has some great ideas! Any time you can make anything and sell it for more than it cost to produce then you're ahead of the game.

Also, if you make or grow stuff for your own consumption, you've saved the cost of that item plus an additional 23% or so. Figure out what percentage rate your income is taxed at and that's the additional amount you are saving by producing your own. There is also the 4% sales tax you save by producing your own, too. If you harvest 20# of bananas from your backyard and bananas are $1.25 a pound that's $25 you've saved. Ooops, add in the 4% sales tax - $1 tax - so you've saved $26 by growing your own. To get the $26 if you are working in the corporate world, you'd have to have make a gross income of $30.68 (if you are in a 18% tax bracket). Hmm, if you are working for $12 an hour, that means you've saved two and a half hours of working for someone else to buy those bananas so now you have bananas as well as some time to go to the beach.

Bananas and papayas are really easy to grow. Assorted herbs such as basil, rosemary and such are also easy to grow. Even if you are only using a few containers on your lanai, you can still grow a few tomatoes or beans. As you gain experience, you'll get more stuff to grow, too. Also, be creative when about the containers and getting soil to grow the stuff in. You don't have to rush off to the store and buy containers and dirt, you should be able to find something suitable somewhere or used stuff at a garage sale. Ask a gardening neighbor if you can have a container full of dirt if all you have is a lanai.

If you aren't creative or good with your hands, there are always service type jobs. Baby sitting, pet sitting, running errands for folks. Here on the Big Island, I'd guess someone could make a side business out of making trips to Costco once a week. I'd be willing to pay for an item from Costco along with a small delivery fee to have someone bring stuff back from there. Costco also has those cards which give back 10% after you've bought a certain amount or something, so that would be an additional amount coming in from that.

Also folks can have more than one income stream. As a draftsperson my main employment is subject to the construction industries ups and downs so my secondary employment is mechanical clock repair. That is also backed up by spinning yarn out of locally grown wool and angora rabbit fiber as well as selling English angora rabbits. When construction is good, the drafting is enough to cover expenses but when construction is down, then it's a scramble which is why all the other methods of garnering any income. Fortunately, it's not just me, being married to someone with a steady job really helps. But being frugal and helping with the one steady income whenever possible makes the one steady income go a lot further.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
If you can't find a job, create one. Yeah, I know it's hard to get started and will cost you a bit to start but if you have a hobby it can be the start of a good income maker.

Like to carve wood? Make walking sticks and canes. Build inexpensive musical instruments - cigar box ukuleles and guitars. Make glass beads. Make jewelry. As you can see, I've put a bit of thought into "supplemental income producers".

At 73 years old, I'm "over qualified" for most jobs in my field - electronics, computer maintenance. I do feel I can do other things to help keep beans on the table along with my retirement income. I feel that also keeps my brain from withering away.

Several years ago I took a class in glassblowing and I am planning on making glass "things" to sell. I love working hot glass. And there are some great glassblowers in Hawaii.

I also like working with wood. I've made walking sticks, I've made a guitar, I am about to make a cigar box guitar and a wine box bass.

Don't think these can make money? Google cigar box guitars and see what they can sell for. Check out Kona Walking Bass - they ain't cheap, but they are built in Hawaii. Check out pan-flutes - there is a very good pan-flute maker in Hawaii. Check out Native American flutes. I have one that is made of bamboo.

What I am getting at is quite a few of these things can be made with very limited tools, sometimes using found materials and can bring in money, or as was done by the hobos during the depression, traded for food.

Just tryin' to make y'all think a bit.

Mickey
Mickey, have you considered making glass waterpipes? Given how popular marijuana is on the islands, with both natives and tourists, I have to think there's a huge market for glass waterbongs. You could open up your own shop, or simply supply to an existing place. Make them Hawaiian themed, of course.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I advise nursing students and new grads on several online forums and there is no strong demand in most states. As far as $60,000 being a good salary for an RN it isn't even close for what we do. Your average for an RN in Hawaii gave me a good chuckle. Yes those salaries exist for a few of us but not for long ... don't believe everything you read. I like MickeyE's idea. Certainly gave me food for thought.

1. I don't believe everything I read, but when everything says the same thing, the reasonable presumption is that there's something behind it. The following link indicates a national (and growing) RN shortage, with many jobs even added over the recent recession: AACN - Media - Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet

If you can provide countervailing data, feel free, but it appears that RN's are in fairly strong national demand these days, with that demand expected to increase. (Of course, you may have your own definition of "strong", I'm applying a more standard one.) Presumably, a handful of students/grads on a few online forums is a less reliable source of information relative to more thorough studies/surveys.

2. Everyone thinks they're underpaid for what they do. But most U.S. households (combined) bring home $50K or less, so RN's generally make more than most households combined. I believe median U.S. incomes are around $30 - $40K, so that's a pretty good income, even by U.S. standards. I imagine benefits are also pretty good.

3. Are you saying that you expect salaries to drop in Hawaii? Based simply on the slow economy, or other factors?

Bottom line, health care is the one area where costs keep rising, largely because it's something everyone needs, and there's no real replacement. It's difficult to imagine a job with more job security today. And I imagine if anything, the future trend will be towards more nurses and NP's, since Dr's are far more expensive. I would never personally want the duties or responsibilities of an RN (or Dr), but for those who do, it's probably the most secure field you could enter.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, MickeyE has some great ideas! Any time you can make anything and sell it for more than it cost to produce then you're ahead of the game.

Also, if you make or grow stuff for your own consumption, you've saved the cost of that item plus an additional 23% or so. Figure out what percentage rate your income is taxed at and that's the additional amount you are saving by producing your own. There is also the 4% sales tax you save by producing your own, too. If you harvest 20# of bananas from your backyard and bananas are $1.25 a pound that's $25 you've saved. Ooops, add in the 4% sales tax - $1 tax - so you've saved $26 by growing your own. To get the $26 if you are working in the corporate world, you'd have to have make a gross income of $30.68 (if you are in a 18% tax bracket). Hmm, if you are working for $12 an hour, that means you've saved two and a half hours of working for someone else to buy those bananas so now you have bananas as well as some time to go to the beach.

Bananas and papayas are really easy to grow. Assorted herbs such as basil, rosemary and such are also easy to grow. Even if you are only using a few containers on your lanai, you can still grow a few tomatoes or beans. As you gain experience, you'll get more stuff to grow, too. Also, be creative when about the containers and getting soil to grow the stuff in. You don't have to rush off to the store and buy containers and dirt, you should be able to find something suitable somewhere or used stuff at a garage sale. Ask a gardening neighbor if you can have a container full of dirt if all you have is a lanai.

If you aren't creative or good with your hands, there are always service type jobs. Baby sitting, pet sitting, running errands for folks. Here on the Big Island, I'd guess someone could make a side business out of making trips to Costco once a week. I'd be willing to pay for an item from Costco along with a small delivery fee to have someone bring stuff back from there. Costco also has those cards which give back 10% after you've bought a certain amount or something, so that would be an additional amount coming in from that.

Also folks can have more than one income stream. As a draftsperson my main employment is subject to the construction industries ups and downs so my secondary employment is mechanical clock repair. That is also backed up by spinning yarn out of locally grown wool and angora rabbit fiber as well as selling English angora rabbits. When construction is good, the drafting is enough to cover expenses but when construction is down, then it's a scramble which is why all the other methods of garnering any income. Fortunately, it's not just me, being married to someone with a steady job really helps. But being frugal and helping with the one steady income whenever possible makes the one steady income go a lot further.
I like your Costco idea. I wouldn't mind using my van to get large stocks of supplies for neighbors, especially since those bulk items are best broken up anyway.

I was also wondering how popular the barter systems is on Hawaii -- as your post indicates, you can save a lot by not paying for shipping, taxes, etc. I was thinking of making a point with my business that I would accept payment in barter, because I'd be happy to do things in exchange for a steady supply of fruits and veggies (and because it would probably be easier for neighbors to pay with their produce than with cash). After all, after my housing is paid for, what more would I really need besides a little gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii