Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
I agree with your last point, though -- more people should focus on what they really want to do, as opposed to what they think society wants. If you have a real passion for something, you'll probably find your way in that area eventually. (You won't need as much compensation to do it, either -- happiness with work can translate into fewer consumption needs.)

Yes, focus on what you really want to do, but if it's not going to be in a place where you want to be, you have to weigh in YOUR INTEREST vs YOUR FAVORITE PLACE. Which wins?

If you can do what you love AND live where you love -- you've scored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:41 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Doctors here are just as frustrated at the cost of living and the low pay from Medicare and insurances that they many times do not stay for more than a few years. Some do not accept new patients, i know of a couple of doctors here that take no insurance of any kind, it's cash full price and you "bill" your insurance for a small partial reimbursement.
Does this mean that healthcare is more 'at cost', if they aren't as into the medicare/insurance system?

Or do you find that prices are every bit as sky high overinflated as the mainland, just without insurance?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
Cyrus, sorry for my late reply. I have been super busy the last month or so getting two kitchens remodeled (mine, main house and weekend house)
Honolulu PD is the lowest-paid department in the nation, for its size. Remember, Honolulu is the 10th largest city in the US. Well, maybe tied with San Jose, which is also considered the 10th largest. $51K is nothing compared to CA large cities. I think SJ starts out at over 71K per year. Factor in the difference in cost of living, about 25% higher in Honolulu and that equates to even less pay, or at least "disposable" monies. To be on par with SJ you would have to start at around 89K, a figure that even the top echelon do not make. Well, maybe the COP, I don't know. Be advised that *every* cop in the state makes the same salary. Reason is that it is a state-wide union - and one reason for my resignation. While I would handle 10 cases a day, such as two felonies, some misdemeanors, a couple of domestics, two or three accidents, and two or three traffic stops, the cop in Hana would handle the same load as me, but he would do it in ONE YEAR. Maybe! Remember, there is no sheriffs, no highway patrol, no university police, no school district police, in other words, there is just ONE law enforcement agency in the whole state of HI. Sure, there are feds, such as FBI, ATF, DEA. etc, but 99% of law enforcement is handled by HPD. As for what would help in getting hired? Don't tell 'em you have a degree in CJ. Nah, they'll find out, lol. Best degree? A liberal arts. They prefer a person with a well-rounded education. Since it's a civil service job, it's all on how you do in the exams, written, oral, and physical. Additionally, you will be competing with "local boys" and in the oral that's where you may be placed below someone who is from the islands with all things being equal. Departments are constantly changing, so as far as what would help, right now I don't know. I do know that they are always hiring as many officers will leave for the better paying jobs on the mainland. I do know that the training is top-notch, and unless they've changed, the academy is six months long. Also, like me, you will start out at a slightly higher pay if you have a BA. But again, that policy may have changed.
Good luck. But I suggest you look elsewhere.
Eddie
There isn't just one law enforcement agency for the whole state The counties are all independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii