Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM

547 posts, read 774,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
With automated resume tools you are more or less out of luck unless you have some extraordinary skill that can't be readily found in Hawaii. With rare exceptions - your resume never even makes it to HR or a hiring manager - it is automatically tossed.

A few things to mitigate this:

Hawaii jobs are often about who you know.

There are tools like LinkedIn - perhaps someone you know has a contact in Hawaii.

Come to Hawaii - but instead of hitting the beach, start making contacts and knocking on doors.

Get a Hawaii address like a PO Box and preferably an 808 phone number (note: you can't get an 808 number via google voice). Your downside with that is when they say "can you come in tomorrow" that can be a challenge.
Great! thanks...I did apply to a couple of IT jobs out there and even went as far as emailing the HR rep via LinkedIn so we will see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
Gaah, I had a huge reply written up that my browser ate.

What I mostly wanted to say is that you seem to have the right attitude to make it work. You have more savings than most people we hear from on this forum, and you mentioned "respect" and "culture" in your original post.

This forum is a real Jeckyll and Hyde: first they say you can't get a job unless you have a local address & phone, then they say get a job before you move here. Of course, you should start looking and get an idea of the job market, but I think you have enough savings for getting yourself over here and then looking. Plus your field is usually in demand, and technical jobs don't always rely so much on contact (though any you can develop, even cold-calling potentials) would be helpful.

If you have a reliable, paid-off, low MPG, car, I would consider bringing it. Drive it across the country, ship it from LA, and hop on a plane to HI. If you don't have such a car, consider buying one for $3-4K once here. Once you're established, you can ride the bus to work, but when looking for rentals, going to interviews, etc. the bus is a hassle. You don't want to arrive all sweaty and late to an interview. And of course, the neighborhoods that are near or convenient to the most jobs are the most expensive.

As far as moving for the weather, I agree you need more to make Hawai'i your home. You have to be interested in taking advantage of the ocean, mountains, local culture, and activities. You have to join the community, socialize, and make friends. You have to deal with your family and previous friends living far away, probably only seeing them once a year.

That said, there does seem to be a significant demographic of young people having a 2-4 year adventure in Hawaii. Nothing wrong with that, just make sure you look at all the costs, both monetary and other opportunities that you give up for that.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
One more thing I forgot to add: until you get a job, you can get catastrophic health insurance. That means they cover emergencies and such, but there's something like a 5K deductible. It's relatively cheap. Just go to the dentist and your regular doctor before you leave your current health coverage, and as long as you're healthy you should be fine. Plus the catastrophic insurance ensures you have continued coverage for pre-existing conditions once you get more comprehensive coverage (I think that's how it works, read up on it).

Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I think that having savings and being realistic that it might not work out is important. You seemed to be covered there. Next you need to realize that you might be initially working an hourly job that is a step down from where you are now. When you go to Hawaii it isn't really about having a great job and bringing in the money. Having a low key job but a relaxing and laid back lifestyle is more local style. Not that people don't want to work or want to have a successful career path, just your perspective on life changes. And to get a job, you need to be really persistent and eager to work, which I'm assuming you are. Plus, I think being filipino will help you out- it kind of gives you an in or connection, ya know?

If it doesn't work out, you can always go somewhere else...but I guess not the south, according to the PP!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Plus, I think being filipino will help you out- it kind of gives you an in or connection, ya know?
They DO connect well! I'm married to one...

Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I think that having savings and being realistic that it might not work out is important. You seemed to be covered there. Next you need to realize that you might be initially working an hourly job that is a step down from where you are now. When you go to Hawaii it isn't really about having a great job and bringing in the money. Having a low key job but a relaxing and laid back lifestyle is more local style. Not that people don't want to work or want to have a successful career path, just your perspective on life changes. And to get a job, you need to be really persistent and eager to work, which I'm assuming you are. Plus, I think being filipino will help you out- it kind of gives you an in or connection, ya know?

If it doesn't work out, you can always go somewhere else...but I guess not the south, according to the PP!
I disagree that a laid back lifestyle is more local style. People here are just as industrious and capitalistic as anywhere else. It's just that there are a lot fewer good jobs and a lot more low paying service jobs.

The laid back people are the ones who came here to retire or surf.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 AM

41 posts, read 109,398 times
I have job hunting online for a couple years now and have had only one real possibility that did not work out. It is hard for me to explain how I need to be in Honolulu. When I left Oahu in 1996 it was a huge mistake that I have regreated since. I am afraid I will have to take a leap of faith and come without a job and pray for the best. Once I get my car and some other debts paid off I will take the plunge. Until then I will keep on looking.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Newly married couple who honeymoon'ed in Hawaii...want to go back to relocate and get out of the snowy, cold Northeast.

We know that it's not going to be paradise and we are hoping to find a job out there...we are going to wait until end of Feb when I get my company bonus and we will sell all our stuff and fly over.

We are both currently looking for jobs out there...I'm in IT (college educated) and she's in Interior Design (also college educated)

Plan is to "move" there for 6 months...if it doesn't work out or we can't find jobs we will move back after 6 months...looking to have about 20k to move down there.

Not sure if it matters, but she's white and i'm filipino...we didn't see any negative vibes from people and everyone actually thought we were locals! We are very respectful individuals and loved the culture.

Are we crazy to go for this? We want to do this before we have kids and see if this is a good thing for us...will 20k lasts us for 6 months?

I think we are going to try for Honolulu because of jobs...
I would say go for it. Life is about experiences. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingpattaya View Post
I have job hunting online for a couple years now and have had only one real possibility that did not work out. It is hard for me to explain how I need to be in Honolulu. When I left Oahu in 1996 it was a huge mistake that I have regreated since. I am afraid I will have to take a leap of faith and come without a job and pray for the best. Once I get my car and some other debts paid off I will take the plunge. Until then I will keep on looking.
Don't know your story, but sounds like you need a new thread.

Location says you're in Iowa, but you're missing Thailand. Yet, you need to be in Honolulu.

Sounds like some interesting things to say.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM

547 posts, read 774,805 times
I'm enjoyed both the positive and negative reviews on here. I ended up not getting the NC job so now we are at the crossroads to decide to go for it...The plan would be to go at end of Feb after I get my bonus but in the meantime, will continue to apply for jobs...still a 50/50 shot if we take that leap of faith to go out there without jobs.

My biggest fear is to move without a job and lose all that savings...although not touching my 401K can help get us back on our feet if we fail...

Thanks for all your opinions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii