Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM

23 posts, read 29,275 times

Advertisements

pj- I didn't see anywhere that said how old you and your wife are but the way i see it is... you only live once..go for it.. i mean and island with 957k inhabitants is going to have jobs in your field and i'm sure you will be able to make it you just have to want it bad enough sounds like you and your wife are very eager i'm sure you can do it and if it doesn't work out well at least you wont be sitting down when your 50 or even older saying damn i wish i left Milford CT....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
pjnugget - good luck with your plans. We too have been planning to make the move in May/June 2012. We will wait to apply for jobs, I probably will not have a problem based on CL ads I have seen, my husband on the other hand it might take a few months, because he apparently wants to make a career change. We are fortunate that my husband is retired military so we have that income plus the benefit of inexpensive military medical care. My dad lives on Oahu most of the year so we will have a place to stay temporarily while we look for something more permanent. We have been networking with friends on Oahu, so that will help as well. It will hopefully, be the last move that we have to make. Save, plan, save, plan, purge, save, plan - that is what we have been doing Ü

Last edited by sbartist; 11-23-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 29,275 times
And besides your still young enough to rebuild and you have a valuable skill so you wont get hungry.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 AM

547 posts, read 774,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1234 View Post
pj- I didn't see anywhere that said how old you and your wife are but the way i see it is... you only live once..go for it.. i mean and island with 957k inhabitants is going to have jobs in your field and i'm sure you will be able to make it you just have to want it bad enough sounds like you and your wife are very eager i'm sure you can do it and if it doesn't work out well at least you wont be sitting down when your 50 or even older saying damn i wish i left Milford CT....
I am turning 33 Friday and she is 25...we are going to sit down this weekend and see if we are ready to do this!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
If your wife is unemployed, IIRC...maybe you two should take a couple weeks vacation, set her up in a vacation rental, while you go home and continue to work and she stays and looks for a job. That way you are not losing the position you have, in case she doesn't find anything oe best case, she finds something and you guys don't have to blow through your savings.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
That's a good idea, Joliefille! Being on island is best for finding a job as well as after she finds one, to locate a place to live, too. Trying to set all that up from on the mainland is very difficult.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM

547 posts, read 774,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
If your wife is unemployed, IIRC...maybe you two should take a couple weeks vacation, set her up in a vacation rental, while you go home and continue to work and she stays and looks for a job. That way you are not losing the position you have, in case she doesn't find anything oe best case, she finds something and you guys don't have to blow through your savings.

Good luck!

Good idea! Only thing is I still have to pay rent in our apartment here so it would be almost double rent...I guess it's something we can explore as well...thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM

49 posts, read 157,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Understood! Great post... Did u have an office job or did u go into hospitality/retail? And was it all worth it?
I got into retail, I currently work as a part time assistant manager for a retail store in Ala Moana Mall and I also work at home for Google. It is very hard to get a decent paying job in Hawaii specially if you are not a resident of the state and have no connections . but that's another story.

Was it worth at all? I must say yes,because we accomplished our dream but ..we burned all our savings.. sad . In the good part we did more outdoors activities than anywhere else we've lived I got to learn how to surf, got scuba dive certified, awesome snorkeling and hiking. I definitely have a loot of great memories from here.

The thing is, I can't save any money here, I don't plan on getting rich but to at least have some extra savings to visit family a couple of times a year or take a vacation somewhere, we cant do that living here. We have very little to go onto savings. Most of what we make goes to paying rent,bills and the high cost of living in Hawaii.
So, for a year experience it was good,we did it,we know what it is like, now is time to move on. That is just us.

* You seem pretty determined on moving, and Im all for adventures but do it so, having a somewhat realistic game-plan.
* Try getting a job before moving.
* Get a round trip ticket, there are options where you add a couple of hundred dollars that allows you to change your flight schedules at any time. That's what we did.

Maybe you'll have better luck than we did.

Last edited by jennypal; 11-23-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
Was it worth at all? I must say yes,because we accomplished our dream but ..we burned all our savings.. sad.
Jennypal, If you don't mind sharing, how much savings did you have when you first moved to Hawai'i? Did you buy a house/condo outright, paying mortgage payments, or are you renting?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post

Good luck!
Interestingly, as I've been talking about that exact same thing with my wife.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-23-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii