Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

547 posts, read 775,480 times

Advertisements

Newly married couple who honeymoon'ed in Hawaii...want to go back to relocate and get out of the snowy, cold Northeast.

We know that it's not going to be paradise and we are hoping to find a job out there...we are going to wait until end of Feb when I get my company bonus and we will sell all our stuff and fly over.

We are both currently looking for jobs out there...I'm in IT (college educated) and she's in Interior Design (also college educated)

Plan is to "move" there for 6 months...if it doesn't work out or we can't find jobs we will move back after 6 months...looking to have about 20k to move down there.

Not sure if it matters, but she's white and i'm filipino...we didn't see any negative vibes from people and everyone actually thought we were locals! We are very respectful individuals and loved the culture.

Are we crazy to go for this? We want to do this before we have kids and see if this is a good thing for us...will 20k lasts us for 6 months?

I think we are going to try for Honolulu because of jobs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 PM

52 posts, read 159,516 times
I'd secure a job before moving, but maybe that's just me.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,817 times
$20K, 2 people, six months ($3,333/) - might be a bit low, especially since you'll need transportation (most likely) for job searching/interviews x 2. What about health insurance - young & healthy is great but one medical event while you're hiking or surfing (if you have time for it) could put a major dent in your cash reserves.

The general advice on this Forum has long been --- don't move unless you've some definite employment the day you step off the plane and that can be hard to achieve unless you live there - Catch22 (and absolutely DO have the return ticket paid for).

Not saying its an impossible dream, but I'd really suggest either significantly higher resources and a serious pre-relocation job search to secure employment before moving. Your apartment/housing will be short term = higher rates, at least one rental or used car, etc., etc.

At roughly $3,300/month, your financial kitty doesn't allow for much flexibility to enjoy what Hawaii has to offer. A move to paradise can be a bummer if you don't have the opportunity to enjoy it.

I've been researching a 12 month Maui stay quite seriously (strictly as a retired, tourist type) and think you might be really pushing it at your financial reserve level, with probable needs for transportation and day to day working expenses for two people until you're established.

Some Hawaii residents are definitely getting by on that general amount but its not advisable (IMO) to try it "off the plane" with no local support network. JMHO

Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,033,055 times
Others have moved taking the risk. It's up to you maybe one of you can move and the other stays home or with parents. When one secures employment then the other can move. The unemployment rate is low in Hawaii, I think you can find an IT job, I'm not sure about the interior design market. You wouldnt be the first to risk it all to live in Hawaii. I know some young people that just go for it and made it somehow. Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
You're definitely not crazy, however moving here (or anywhere in this economy) without a job is taking a big risk. But you seem to be willing to take that risk and have a backup plan. I have friends in IT and it seems like as long as you have a lot of qualifications, you can find jobs here.

I've lived here most my life and I don't see how your race will affect you, you said you're respectful, you should do fine here.

You're very smart for doing this before you have kids since it could be a costly mistake if you can't find jobs here. I think 20k should easily last you 6 months as long as you're not spending lavishly. You're biggest expense will be housing which you probably already know. If you work in downtown Honolulu you could probably find a decent 1 bedroom condo to rent within 20 minutes of your workplace for $1500 or less. Or if need be rent a studio until one or both of you have found a job. Now that you're both young it's the time to be adventurous. Best of luck.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post
I'd secure a job before moving, but maybe that's just me.
Yes, ideally we would love to find jobs before we head out there and that's why I'm looking for jobs now...but I heard it's very hard for companies to look at people from the mainland applying to jobs...is this true? What is the wages for IT folks out there? Are they somewhat comparable to the mainland?

Our backup to finding jobs is that I work at corporate hq for a major fast food restaurant so I can try using my connections to see if any of the owners need work in that area...

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
You're definitely not crazy, however moving here (or anywhere in this economy) without a job is taking a big risk. But you seem to be willing to take that risk and have a backup plan. I have friends in IT and it seems like as long as you have a lot of qualifications, you can find jobs here.

I've lived here most my life and I don't see how your race will affect you, you said you're respectful, you should do fine here.

You're very smart for doing this before you have kids since it could be a costly mistake if you can't find jobs here. I think 20k should easily last you 6 months as long as you're not spending lavishly. You're biggest expense will be housing which you probably already know. If you work in downtown Honolulu you could probably find a decent 1 bedroom condo to rent within 20 minutes of your workplace for $1500 or less. Or if need be rent a studio until one or both of you have found a job. Now that you're both young it's the time to be adventurous. Best of luck.
Maybe you can network me to see if their companies are looking for people? hahaha, I have experience in Tech Support (supervisor) as well as Project Coordination/Management...

Yes, living in CT we are very good in not spending lavishly while living in a high COL state...

We are trying to find a place in Honolulu in order to take advantage of public transportation/walking to jobs...not bringing our vehicles so no car payments/insurance...

Also have a strict 6 month plan, if we don't find jobs, we will fly back home and use it as a 6 month adventure!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,681,188 times
Good luck to you. You are not moving much stuff over, luckily no kids, you have round-trip tickets, and you seem to have your eyes open. This is a great time to try a new adventure!

Only concern I'd have is how are you going to get someone to hire and train you when they know that you'll be leaving in six months?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Good luck to you. You are not moving much stuff over, luckily no kids, you have round-trip tickets, and you seem to have your eyes open. This is a great time to try a new adventure!

Only concern I'd have is how are you going to get someone to hire and train you when they know that you'll be leaving in six months?
We would get 1 way tickets there and have enough on our reserves/credit card to pay for a 1 way ticket back should we not find jobs by month 4/5

Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,043 times
Aloha,

I feel compelled to respond here.

Your not crazy maybe a little compulsive but not crazy. I/we made the same decision on our honeymoon.It took us 25 years to move but we did raise a family and have careers the actually brought us to Hawaii. My wife had the job offer I am still struggling to find enough work to live on after 2 years. My advice is not to loose the dream but to find a job first for at least one of you. You need to understand how difficult it can be in such a nice place as this without a job , Family , Friends ect. ect. The failure rate for people coming over here without a firm job is at least 75% I would hate to see you in that percentage and then dislike the place you spent your honeymoon.Yhe failure rate for Main-lander coming over here with a job is almost 50%.

Take your time getting here it can be worth it !

Good luck
Koa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii