Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM

60 posts, read 245,281 times

Advertisements

I am most definitely haole and have only ever had the word used to describe me in an affectionate, non-derogatory way. I refer to myself as the token haole in the office and my co-workers have taken to calling me Haole Tita. As a compliment. So... *shrug* take it however you will. I choose to not be offended.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM

124 posts, read 212,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
We sing this at the school I'm working at and then the kids pick which one covers them. Not racist in the context they use it, just something they like to sing.
i think this song is a hilarious way to talk about race relations

i also think that it's good that the kids talk about it and acknowledge their differences without declaring war on each other.

we could learn a lot from those children couldn't we?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Yes I am
Koa...love the attitude dude

Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
I still can't believe people are worried about this stuff!!!! The people that are calling you that probably don't have jobs...family or anything else going for them. Smile and remember that even the Pope would be considered a Haole in Hawaii!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 14,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
I still can't believe people are worried about this stuff!!!! The people that are calling you that probably don't have jobs...family or anything else going for them. Smile and remember that even the Pope would be considered a Haole in Hawaii!!!
lol how true... the Pope of all people.

I lived in northern New York for a few years, most of my neighbors were Amish of the old order. Those of us who weren't amish, both newcomers and long-time locals, were called "English". That's it. Just "English" or "Englisher". There was no offense taken from most. It was kind of a cultural/historical type of thing. The same thing for the people who's history is entrenched in Hawaii I would imagine.

I was an "English" in New York, started out a "Cheechako", then graduated to "Sourdough" in Alaska, and now I'll be a "Haole" in Hawaii. Such a deal

Old 05-26-2012, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,153 times
Wink Mostly bark & no bite ;)

Calling someone or being called a haole can a term of endearment as well as negative or demeaning for sure. But it doesn't always equal getting flipped off or worse. The notion that to be called a haole means you probably said or did something to deserve it in some way is absurd. But maybe that comes from someone who just has a really positive outlook in general. In which case, that's awesome!

Still, the negative connotation of haole is less about race and more about hostility. IMHO. Just based on history and current events at any given time. It's a small space full of people whose lives tend to be interrupted a lot

The local folks on Kauai were really fussy a few years back when a major film was going on there. Traffic was heavier, helicopters buzzing over 10x's more than usual, everything was more crowded, the movie tent was set up just off of the main HWY causing the traffic to be even worse from constant the slow drive-by's and so on. Even the tattoo artist in Hanalei was irritable & rude and he's usually super laid back

Not to mention, it was extra hot that year. And to top it off, the Real Estate bubble was still booming at it's peak so construction & new white people were coming from everywhere. For a small island that's like having a constant parade in your town daily 4 months. It takes a toll on folks just trying to go about their day to day. Same thing goes for surf season & every day in HNL traffic for that matter.

Sadly, the attitude & stress rubs off & passes on to the children as we learned through our 6 yr old son. Although, it's actually really funny. We took him to a local beach to have a picnic one day &he was stoked to find 3 little boys playing so of course he ran right over to join them straight away before we could stop him. The next thing we know he came back over looking kinda puzzled & asked us to go tell the boys that he wasn't a girl. He said they kept telling him to "Go home Haley", even though he kept telling them he wasn't a girl (he had really long hair)

We just busted out laughing & told him to go back over, tell the boys his name & go ahead and play with them & he didn't have a clue what they were really saying. Then I looked over & gave the boys a good Hawaii Auntie Stare & within 15 minutes they were all bff's. Then the boys were bummed when we had to leave

But I don't think it's so much racial as it is hostility & even then a lot of it is learned & left overs. With a little understanding that goes both ways & just treating people the way you would want to be treated it will usually blow over without incident

We just need to all try to have open minds and spread the aloha spirit as much as possible & remember we live in very close quarters on these islands

The next time someone calls you a haole, just kill them with kindness and I'd be willing to bet that 9x out of 10 you'll be talking story with them in no time

Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM

236 posts, read 648,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
Heres an idea. The next time someone calls you a haole, you tell them you can breath, then come back on here and let us know how that worked out for you. You really have no reason to get worked up over the word Haole unless you have put yourself in a position to have some colorful words put in front of it.

Sounds like you're saying the natives will take violent offense at a reasonable response to an inappropriate comment. Personally, I find it hard to believe the hawaiian natives are that violent or irrational. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - in my 10 years of working in Hawaii on all of the islands and now living here, I've never been called a Haole. With that said, if I was called that I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face and looking at that person and saying "I can breathe", I'd feel kind of silly and it probably wouldn't evoke a good reaction. If called that, I'd laugh it off......

Who cares about the reaction of someone who's being inapproriate to begin with? Especially when you're simply pointing out that they're factually incorrect? Unless possibly there's a large group of natives present. Last time I checked, native hawaiians were generally a bit smaller than your typical mainlander.

If a white southerner was calling an african-american a "shiftless negro", and the african-american responded "I can work", would people recommend against that because it "might get a bad reaction" from the white southerner?

Geesh.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayy911 View Post
I currently go to school in CA and I personally experience no racism towards me (I'm white) but I see it happen towards others, often times hispanics.

I went to school in Connecticut and rarely saw it.

Hawaii seems like a different country at times, although, I guess the deep south would as well.

Fwiw, non-hispanic whites are also a minority in California today. They're only 40% of the population, while hispanics are also nearly 40%. (the remainder are blacks and asians.)

Demographics of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think unless you are dressed and act like an obvious tourist they would think you were just an idiot for a What's that?

Actually think this is probably the best response, for someone who wants to respond. Make them explain it or shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii