Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
We still use the word "haole" to describe things other than people. Most folks in Hawai'i are not going to refer to a "koa haole" tree as a "Leucaena leucocephala", despite the fact that "koa haole" can also mean "Caucasian soldier" in Hawaiian...
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestr...ucocephala.pdf
Touche... I guess I should have been more specific and said when referring to a person as "haole". Hopefully the OP gets what I am saying. haha

Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
There is no mandate to respond at all in any way to being called haole, whether called so in a friendly or disrespectful manner ... I suggest you don't -- either way. I promise you won't be arrested.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Furthermore, it seems unusual that someone would just call you "haole". You might be described as a "haole girl/boy" when someone is describing you, but outside of a confrontation it just seems odd that someone would refer to you as "haole". It is more likely to be "eh Bradda/Sista" if they don't know your name.
Which makes me wonder....most people who are white, and have spent time with African-Americans, usually get use to and familiar with being called 'a white guy' as a way to differentiate from being a 'black guy'.

'Haole guy' is essentially saying a 'white guy'.

I wonder if most mainland haole would also strongly object to being called a 'white guy' on the Mainland?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
talk about how we're god's children.....and Jesus loves us and like.... how we should all just get along...because thats what Rodney kind would have wanted...

maybe quote some Ghandi too.... just bore them to death with played out quotes and racial harmony stufff... throw in the word rainbow somewhere. . .

Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Jonah K wrote: ""koa haole" tree"

Yes, but isn't it the same meaning, namely "foreign koa?" The koa haole is a small tree that looks a bit like koa and was introduced to Hawaii, thus foreign.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Jonah K wrote: ""koa haole" tree"

Yes, but isn't it the same meaning, namely "foreign koa?" The koa haole is a small tree that looks a bit like koa and was introduced to Hawaii, thus foreign.
In addition to being the name of tree, "koa" means "soldier", "warrior", "brave", "bold", "fearless", and a few other things in Hawaiian as well.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
In addition to being the name of tree, "koa" means "soldier", "warrior", "brave", "bold", "fearless", and a few other things in Hawaiian as well.
Koa also seems like a great name to name a newborn boy.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Boys are usually "Kekoa" and there are a lot of them.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM

217 posts, read 431,261 times
I was raised in Los Angeles and San Diego and Hilo (population roughly 45,000 I believe) isn't really what I would consider small coming from a huge city. I was talking to a local family about this actually. Nearly everything I do in CA I have and do in Hilo (and there is actually more that I do in Hilo!).
Mall? Check.
Movie theater? Check.
Walmart? Check.
Target? Check.
Good selection of restaurants (I actually thought Hilo had good restaurants!)? Check
Gym? Check.
Job? Check.

What I do in addition in Hilo that I rarely have done in CA:
- snorkel (once you have snorkeled in Hawaii La Jolla loses any interest)
- kayak (didn't do too often in CA)
- hike (I hated hiking within an hour of my house in CA because every trail looked exactly the same)

Only things I am would be really missing is an active Jewish community (there is a small one in Kona), and a singles "scene" with ways to meet mainly single people under 40.

I don't know if you are into night life, but yeah you have limited choices in Hilo (though I was fond of Shooter's LOL). I never enjoyed going out at night anyway with the exception of dinner, so maybe a lack of night life wouldn't affect you.

On the Haole thing? Yeah it's annoying. Like people mentioned on here, unless they have some curse words in front of it I don't think it's really a big deal (but again annoying). I would joke that I don't respond to Haole but Jew, however I don't think Sarah Silverman has a following in Hilo (LOL it's one of her lines...).

Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
My son is marrying a Filipina girl. We're going to call the kids Haolepinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii